Help with saddle choice????

beejay

Likes Dirt
Okay so I'm lost with choosing a seat for the new build???

Bike is a reign 2015, and I want a comfortable light weight seat but have no idea what to get?
I've only had WTB seats and found them comfy but heavy.
Any suggestions???

and no, Mywifesirrational I'm not interested in any rubber fists :nono:

murf58

Likes Bikes
I have used a Specialized phenom (143mm) for many years now. For me, it just fits and seems right. I have tried many other saddles in the meantime selle italia, various fizik's, bontrager, wtb etc but spec now is the only brand I will buy. Actually I just bought a toupe for my roadie - it is very light and extremely comfortable.

Of course, your arse is different so I would recommend trying to get to a dealer to demo a saddle. I think spec saddles are available in 3 levels (CrMo, Ti and Carbon) and 3 widths (130, 143, 155).

camoshop

Banned
Saddles are a personal choice really what works for some my not for others. I've got a WTB volt race saddle on my single speed that's comfy, I wear Knicks too so there's the extra padding. My fizik tundra 2 is on the anthem hated that at first but now I love it, it's soften up over time too.

fedor346

Likes Dirt
Beejay,
Stick with wtb if ur rear end agrees with them. I'm pretty sure wtb do lighter weight versions. Though i'd prob try to lose weight from elsewhere and keep my rear end happy.

Minlak

custom titis
I am using and loving this atm. All my bikes now have WTB seats on them after a long and expensive search to find what worked for me.

wtb pure.JPG

pharmaboy

Eats Squid

Bike is a reign 2015, and I want a comfortable light weight seat but have no idea what to get?
Any suggestions???

A tip not related to which seat, but when setting it up, set sag with the o ring, then remove all air from the shock and push bike to top of o ring, then reset your saddle level while the bike is sagged . The angle of saddle changes a lot when sitting on a bike with dual suspension

Level is a good place to start and this is the easiest way to start at that point.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Do your own research. A saddle that one person will swear by, another person will swear at. Everyone's perception of comfort is different, so recommendations are not worth a pinch of ant poo.

beejay

Likes Dirt
Cheers for the replies guys :thumb: I had been thinking of sticking to WTB as yes they've worked for me but I'll head down to the LBS to check out the specialized seats as the weights look great.

pharmaboy: I hadn't thought of that, will do when setting the bike up thanks for the heads up.

Minlak: I'd almost bought that seat online the other day but thought I'd see if there was some advice on here first. It does seem to be what I'm after though.

Saddle sizes:

Short arse
Tight arse
Lard arse
Hahaha the first two most definitely :heh:

captain3k

Likes Bikes
how about a Charge Spoon?

Long time lurker - first post so here ya go - I have recently switched my saddles from SDG Bel Airs (due to several wrecks) to Charge Spoon's, and i freaking love them, they are a mid wide 143mm, comfortable and are light and they are made by Velo - i ride everyhting from xc to light (ok very light DH).

brindog

Likes Dirt
Why+lock+it+no+one+s+gonna+steal+it_06f72c_5403516.jpg

But serisoly have a look at the Chromag range of saddles.
Ive been running the Trail Master for Years on different bikes, Both the DT version and the normal one.
Been the most comfortable for me after trying a number of different saddles.

http://www.chromagbikes.com/saddles

Last edited:

BLUMAN

Likes Bikes
After a trial of a bunch of different saddles to confirm if there was anything better for me, I have gone back to the fizik Gobi xm. The wing flex just makes it so much more comfy in the thigh saddle area at the bottom of the pedal stroke for me. But it is a bit of a knife so it kind of wedges my sit bones (saddle size 143 on the spesh scale) rather than supporting directly beneath them.
Tried the charge spoon to see what everyone was raving about. It was alright, instantly comfy and I could see why everyone was raving, but after an hour it wasn't for me. Plus I actually found the fabric really annoying, it was grippy if that's what you like and you don't move around much on the saddle, but it just pulled my Knicks and shorts in all directions and I was constantly getting up to readjust my pants or position on the saddle.

Last edited:

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Like you I tend to like WTB saddles, Speed V etc , so I ended up buying a WTB SST which still had the required width but was lighter. It doesn't have as much padding but shape / size wise it seems to fit my requirement. Try some of the ligher WTB models and if that fails look for a similar shape / width with a lighter weight from other brands, I think those things are more important than padding (guess you can always wear knicks too (I have't as yet but I don't tend to do overly long rides anyway). And fyi this is coming from a female perspective.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Like you I tend to like WTB saddles, Speed V etc , so I ended up buying a WTB SST which still had the required width but was lighter. It doesn't have as much padding but shape / size wise it seems to fit my requirement. Try some of the ligher WTB models and if that fails look for a similar shape / width with a lighter weight from other brands, I think those things are more important than padding (guess you can always wear knicks too (I have't as yet but I don't tend to do overly long rides anyway). And fyi this is coming from a female perspective.
A saddle that matches the size of your requirement with zero padding will be more comfy than a pillow that is to small or big for your requirement to fit on.

I find that my requirement fares better on a saddle with minimal padding as it seems to offer better support for my large "sit bones", or fat requirement, if you prefer.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Any suggestions???

With a name like yours do you really have any choice other than the fizik gobbie?

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
WTB are a love/hate type of thing. If you're at the love end of the spectrum, stick with them. Weight shouldn't be a big consideration when it comes to something so initmately effecting your comfort. Especially on a bike like a Reign.