Hey

Nah thinking a bit of an all rounder at first, then I suppose if the addiction lasts I can get a DH specifically and what not.

mitch_302

Likes Dirt
Sorry if I overlooked it but what size are you after and where abouts are you based/what trails are close by?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Nah thinking a bit of an all rounder at first, then I suppose if the addiction lasts I can get a DH specifically and what not.
Cool. Refer back to my earlier advice - trance and reign. Norco something or other as well. Mind blank. Something in the 5-6 inch travel market with a low stand over and slacker geometry will be fun on a wide range of trails. Avoid the temptation to grab an xc focused bike. While the availability and weight are going to get your attention, they would be as unwise as buying a dh bike. Too specific.

Cool. Refer back to my earlier advice - trance and reign. Norco something or other as well. Mind blank. Something in the 5-6 inch travel market with a low stand over and slacker geometry will be fun on a wide range of trails. Avoid the temptation to grab an xc focused bike. While the availability and weight are going to get your attention, they would be as unwise as buying a dh bike. Too specific.
Yeah the trance has been one of my preferences, as for the reign is it not more of a DH bike?

mitch_302

Likes Dirt
Hasn't been that long since I was a newbie, and not that far up the road. If I were you I would go have a look at what Trance/Trances fit in your budget and then do as much research/bike shop hopping as you can be bothered doing, checking out if you can find something in the same range that you like better. Definitely want a clutched rear mech.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How heavy are you?
If you are lightish the Anthem or similar will be great and most of the You Yangs will be rideable up and down.
Trance is also a good choice.

You can ride a HT most place but the fun factor will not be the same....

It really all depends on where and how long you want to ride. I think the following would sum up how a lot of riders use their bikes but I am sure some will chime in with "I ride my....150mm bike on 6 hour rides...."

All day epics- HT or 100mm Dually (Light/ efficient to ride a long way, which means all day enjoyment).

1-3 hours 120mm Dually (Bit heavier, does not pedal as efficiently, but more fun in the rough).

Like to ride down but don't mind going slower up and maybe walking a bit till you get fitter- 140mm Dually.
(Heavier and less efficient again, also geo starts to affect steeper climbing, conversely safer and more fun to ride down).

Minlak

custom titis
And if I'm the opposite side to light?
Don't stress about weight :) I am 150kg and no one once has said "Stop riding you fat fuck" they have just given appropriate advice. Bikes have weight limits on them. Lapierre (spelling) for example is 100kgs across the entire range. Most trek are around 130kgs. Wheels different rims have different limits. Sure how smooth you are counts and not all things are equal but it helps with advice..... :third:

unsafe

Cannon Fodder
Hey I'm very very new to the whole MTB scene and I'm trying to get into it. I have a few mates that have been doing it for a while and looking to start riding with them.
If anyone can point me in some beginning directions as to where to start looking would be greatly appreciated. I've had a quick browse through some threads but still searching for that place to start.

All I know is I have set a budget for myself between 1-2k lol.

Guidance appreciated!

Thanks
Hey man,

Grab a 2014 or 2015 Trance from gumtree. 2nd hand, but no k's on them, so as new. The 2014/15 shape is the long, low, slack, 27.5" one, you probably don't want an earlier model, they're a bit xc in geometry. At the moment they're really cheap as there's heap available. 2k will get you a sweet Trance 1 or 2 or SX maybe with a few extra's the previous owner has added.

Lock out is there for the rear shock so your legs don't die climbing those new hills, but can be opened up for the downhills and airtime :) 140mm travel fork with TALAS down to 120 also helps those legs.

Sweet frame you can upgrade as you can go if you like, or just sell it again for similar money after you get cashed up again. Same as the Reign that goes right up to $5000.

I bought my first MTB a few months ago, an XTC2. It's a big hardtail that rolls all over stuff, but when you hit the DH and want to have a bit of fun, nothing beats the trance, so I bought one shortly after!

Good for DH and XC, can't recommend the Trance's enough. Good luck.

Last edited:

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And if I'm the opposite side to light?
As others have said, no drama. I would say an Anthem for riders over 100kg is not the best all rounder.

Trance type bike is looking good as wheels etc are built stronger.

If you are a lot over weight (as opposed to being a fit Giant) then long up hills will end in tears for a while (been there). Something I loves about MTbiking is it really rewards getting into shape and loosing ballast.
So bigger travel bikes might mean shuttles or a lot of walking, nothing wrong with either....

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Grab a 2014 or 2015 Trance from gumtree. 2nd hand, but no k's on them, so as new. The 2014/15 shape is the long, low, slack, 27.5" one, you probably don't want an earlier model, they're a bit xc in geometry. At the moment they're really cheap as there's heap available. 2k will get you a sweet Trance 1 or 2 or SX maybe with a few extra's the previous owner has added.
Must be heaps of those 2015 model Trances being off-loaded, given they are so far behind the technology.

Spiny Norman

Likes Bikes
Must be heaps of those 2015 model Trances being off-loaded, given they are so far behind the technology.
Can you expand on that? I'm thinking of getting one and I'm interested in why you say that.

How do they compare with a similar priced Specialized Stumpjumper (the other one I'm thinking of)? I ride Gap Creek if that helps.

Cheers.

Edit: it's the Giant Trance 27.5 1 2015 I'm interested in. I currently ride a 2014 Anthem 2 29er.

This one: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/trance.27.5.1/18975/76559/

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
Can you expand on that? I'm thinking of getting one and I'm interested in why you say that.

How do they compare with a similar priced Specialized Stumpjumper (the other one I'm thinking of)? I ride Gap Creek if that helps.

Cheers.

Edit: it's the Giant Trance 27.5 1 2015 I'm interested in. I currently ride a 2014 Anthem 2 29er.

This one: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/trance.27.5.1/18975/76559/
Hi Spiny Norman,

Welcome to Rotorburn.

Do you have salt at home?

If you do, I suggest you take a few grains whilst browsing these forums!!

Spiny Norman

Likes Bikes
Hi Spiny Norman,

Welcome to Rotorburn.
Thanks, I'll introduce myself properly over the weekend.

Do you have salt at home?

If you do, I suggest you take a few grains whilst browsing these forums!!
So I take it pp was being funny? I must admit I was a bit confused as he was recommending Trances within the thread. They seem like good value, but I am a complete n00b at looking at the more expensive bikes.

stirk

Burner
Thanks, I'll introduce myself properly over the weekend.

So I take it pp was being funny? I must admit I was a bit confused as he was recommending Trances within the thread. They seem like good value, but I am a complete n00b at looking at the more expensive bikes.
I'd say a bit of truth and piss take from the poodle.

Giant with OD2 steerer can make it a tiny bit harder and more expensive to change stems, forks, one reason I'll steer clear of that brand in the future.

Sorry, jacking iTappedthat thread again :behindsofa:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I'd say a bit of truth and piss take from the poodle.

Giant with OD2 steerer can make it a tiny bit harder and more expensive to change stems, forks, one reason I'll steer clear of that brand in the future.

Sorry, jacking iTappedthat thread again :behindsofa:
They ve dumped OD2, it is no more on mtbs- fortunately they sold so many in the last couple of years that if you end up with one it's easy to get a stem for it from giant dealers . The only downside is it will say giant on it rather than some uber cool european brand.