High Engagement Hubs

Majin

Likes Dirt
Hi Rb fellas
So I'm in need of a wheelset for my upcoming 29er build I have a rough idea of what rim ( either a XM481 or an ARC 35) but i have no idea on what hubs.

I'm currently stuck between these three:
I9 Torch
Project 321 ( i can get these in AUS) ( pretty much an i9 anyways)
Hadley

I prefer higher engaging hubs but I value reliability over high engagement.
The axle standards will ( most likely) be a 148 boost rear and a 15mm boost front
Id love to have your inputs on this
I appreciate any other suggestions also :)

Thanks! :) :)

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Im running I9 torches and whilst a bit noisy I cant fault their function. Very quick engagement.....like make my old hopes, shimanos, gaints and stans feel lazy in comparison.

I've had them for less than a year so cant comment on longevity but so far they've given me no issues.

The sound is sweet but on long low grade descents it can be a bit much. Good on cycle paths for warning people you're coming though.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
+1 on the I9s, I have two sets and had them about 5 years, one set has hardly seen any use but the other set I've had longer have seen plenty and they have been fantastic.

Interchangeability between all hub standards is another huge plus.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Currently running a Hadley on my HT. It's a beautiful hub but be aware that parts aren't cheap. Cost me $100 for a rebuild kit and that doesn't include bearings. Also there is no Australian distributor for parts. There's a shop in the states that sells online but they're even more expensive. I ended up getting stuff from a NZ distro.

Apart from that I've had nothing but joy. It's quick to engage and rolls like a demon. Sound is good and buzzy too. The sealing is very primitive and I wouldn't recommend the hub for regular muddy rides as it will cost a bomb in rebuilds.

John U

MTB Precision
I've used I9 and Hadley. Neither had/have seen a great deal of work. I'd suggest from my experience fit, finish, engagement, noise and reliability are very similar, that being excellent for both.

My I9s were the original set up, not Torch.

SDA

Likes Dirt
Sram 900 are also worth a look as I recall them having approx 6.7 degree engagement, are reasonably light, available in various axel widths and were reasonably cheap when I bought a set late last year. The kind of got lost in the media coverage of Sram's carbon wheels.

I had them built up locally and the total price was very good value. Build consists of Sram 900 hubs, DT XM481 rims and Sapim spokes.

chrischris

Likes Dirt
I ordered a set of (torch series) P321 hubs through Cyclinic. They were a bit loud for my liking, but the engagement is oh so good!!!

I also ordered the specific little bottle of oil for the free hub. A few extra drops of oil inside took the 'sting' out of the buzz. Still makes a noise of course, but muffled a bit.
I've only run them over 1000kms so far. I won't be going back to 24 POI ever again.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
+1 for the Harley's. Recently updated a set I purchased in 2005 (20mm and 10x135mm)to front 15mm and 12x142 rear. Freehub is still in perfect condition.
As mentioned parts aren't cheap and no Aussie distro but seeing as I've only repelAced the bearings once in over 10years I'm pretty happy with them.

ozdavo

Likes Dirt
Sram 900 are also worth a look as I recall them having approx 6.7 degree engagement, are reasonably light, available in various axel widths and were reasonably cheap when I bought a set late last year. The kind of got lost in the media coverage of Sram's carbon wheels.

I had them built up locally and the total price was very good value. Build consists of Sram 900 hubs, DT XM481 rims and Sapim spokes.
I just got a set of 28H boost SRAM 900 hubs, ~$300 landed.
52POE I believe. Still finalizing build, but thinking Nextie 38mm asymmetrical with DT Champion and brass nipples.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

findbuddha

Likes Bikes
Indeed a very cool hub. How much were they? Last time I look a rear was 600usd
Not sure actually, I got them as an option with my Zelvy wheelset. Definitely more expensive and heavier than competing options, though I understand the newer Onyx hubs are a little lighter.

Majin

Likes Dirt
I think I'm leaning towards the I9 torches right now, Ive been finding really good wheel deals with them as well.

Just how loud is the hub noise? Like as loud as an E13 or king hub?