High pressure water hoses

Monks

Likes Dirt
Hi All, I've been washing my bikes with a high pressure water hose, and I've noticed that the disk brakes are really squeaky now, is this just because the pads are wearing, or has the hose done something? And is it ok to wash bikes with high pressure water hoses?

EDIT: found a thread on this, but it seems that the people are divided. Lucky, I use the mist setting and I stand back a fair bit.

Last edited:

Tomshak

Likes Dirt
I've always wondered if it would be dangerous to wash my bike using a high pressure hose too.
However, the disc brakes may be squeaky just because when they get wet, it just often squeaks more (I'm not sure why).
It could also be that the disc brake is slightly loose or misaligned, therefore rubbing on the pads.
Usually you would be able to tell if thats the problem the discs will make the same noise at the same time on every rotation of the wheel. It will not really effect any performance though, just that it gets super annoying :rolleyes:
Hope this helps.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Be careful. The high pressure can force water into places like hubs, bottom brackets and headsets and ruin them if they don't get lubed straight away.

adaib

Likes Dirt
I would NEVER wash my bike with a high pressure hose, as it forces water into places itsa not mean't to go. eg bottom bracket and bearings. If you want to clean your bike, i would suggest using a garden hose and a soapy brush. Wet down the bike and then give it a good scrub the brush. then dry it off wiht a clean rag. Never use a pressure hose.

And the brake squeak is normal for wet disk brakes, annoying yes, problem no. if you really want to get ride if it, ride around with your brakes partly on. it drys off the pads,but....also wears them, so only do it if you really can't stand it.

mcetp001

Likes Bikes
I tend to agree that you should never use a high pressure hose but then you see all the pro-tour mechanics washing bikes with a high-pressure hose after every stage of the TdF...

I don't even have a hose at the house I am renting so make do with a watering can and a couple of different shaped brushes!

adaib

Likes Dirt
I tend to agree that you should never use a high pressure hose but then you see all the pro-tour mechanics washing bikes with a high-pressure hose after every stage of the TdF...

I don't even have a hose at the house I am renting so make do with a watering can and a couple of different shaped brushes!
the TdF guys use high pressure hoses becasue they have plenty of money to spend on replacing parts, becasue they are too lazy to wash them properly

Xmetal

Give this man a job, we want pics!
You can use a Karcher if you like but I personally suggest standing back from the bike (2 metres) and not pointing it directly at the bottom bracket, headset, hubs, etc.

Alternatively you can just use the garden hose and a dishwashing brush with some mild detergent or even car wash if you're that way inclined.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Dig. No point starting another thread.

Looking at a new pressure washer, my $100 Karcher basic model from circa 2010 is dead and was shit.

Cleaning the patio, walls and pergola for an up coming painting job and maybe cars etc...

Looking at the Husqvarna PW360, it's at the price point, great HP hose and reels in. Had a look today and it's a solid piece of kit.

Any other recommendations in the $500 price range ?

No petrol, my mate has a big Honda powered Karcher that I have borrowed in the past, too powerful for soft porous patio pavers.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I’ve just spent some time looking at the 300-500 range for a friend. It’s a shit show really, all are compromised. After rebuilding my karcher a few times, I no longer let go of the trigger while the motor is on, the pressure spike where everything gets a massive jolt I suspect is what causes most damage.

K4 at bunnings is $549. It’s that or the Michelin from Sydney Tools, which is a rebranded AR Blue Clean.

Karcher has been dragged kicking and screaming by the competition to a 5 year +2 yr extension on warranties.

You have to step up to a k7 to get an all metal pump, which is now no longer a disclosed fact on their website. It’s revealed by the maximum water temperature I believe. Metal pumps are rated to 60c, plastic to 40c.

Parts for karcher are freely available, which I think still puts them as the 1 st choice.