Highland Fling - 2010

Rambler

Likes Dirt
Out of a total of 680 riders for the full fling we had 93 non finishers. I thought the attrition rate would be higher than that. From memory, I think nearly 30% of the Angry Doc field of 2009 DNFed. I was thinking that the Fling this year was harder than 2009 AD although the stats say otherwise. Am I forgeting the pain of 2009 or were they both bloody hard!

Last edited:

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
if i could only grow a beard....:(
I didn't see you out there Dreggs, was looking for you! Said thanks to all the vollies on my last lap, especially my brothers from the RFS. Here's hoping those guys/the P and C/etc get good returns from Wild Horizons for their time.

Spoonie, I beat two of the three guys I wanted to beat in the Mile, which is nice. Unfortunately, both of these riders were in front of me when they crashed out, allowing me to pass them... Hope you're in form for c2c2

- Joel

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Back home in Melbourne from the fling - buggered but had a fantastic weekend. Did the half fling which was enough for me! Felt like rubbish on the first half of the course and it felt like I was being overtaken by the entire field, but thankfully got my second wind and made up around 30 places on the GU stage - perhaps those little pinch climbs are my friends after all

+1 did the half also and was super stoked to get 2nd in her age group. Just googled the name of the girl who beat +1 and turns out she is a pro and former Irish time-trial champion - WOW! I think +1 might have to train a bit more often to get into that league! :)

A great event and well organised!!

I think my only negative was the lack of fan or A/C in our room at the Bundanoon hotel - was pretty warm on the top level!

Awesome to catch up with curlysurfer and fam! Little Curlysurfer has the legs for MTB'ing as well ;-)

So impressed you did it on the SS and that CB even attempted the half fling on no training :)

frensham

Likes Dirt
I make a point of saying "thanks" or waving to every single marshal/volunteer and I cannot believe that I am in the minority! A pox on all you MTBers who can't be arsed saying thankyou!

On another note, I think there was enough food and certainly enough water stops. I never enter a ride/race expecting the organisers to feed me or water me. The GU station at 55 km was a god send but I had plenty of food and just enough water to get me back to Wingello but it was nice to indulge in the GU20 given the heat. It was always going to be a hot and very humid day....... it pays to be prepared and self sufficient.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I try to say something to most of the marshall, but when you've been in the saddle a long time on a stinking hot day, sometimes changing direction is all you can do. Most of the marshals were at corners. I massively appreciate all the effort that the vol's put in but it might not show all the time through the sweat effort and dust.

ray

Likes Bikes
I though all the marshall's were great, nice and friendly,very encouraging..alway's said hello to them and got a 'well done' or a 'keep going' back not so much the 'elite' riders blasting pass after i'd stopped for them and getting no word of thanks at all....guys, i'm riding a race too, if i take the time to stop my race so you don't stop yours, say thanks...

And very disapointed about the amount of GU and other such wrappers left on the course....not good at all considering the organisers keep asking not to do it and give us all placed to throw the wrappers in, dunno who's doing it but it makes us all look bad...personally, i had pockets and a backpack to put things in....where does a lycra clad person who is'nt in a hurry to slow down put theirs???.

In all, great race, hard day, very proud of my wife's effort ( condidering she hates riding! )and never want to ride across a grass paddock again!!!...so no doubt will be back next year.

Ray

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I didn't see you out there Dreggs, was looking for you! Said thanks to all the vollies on my last lap, especially my brothers from the RFS. Here's hoping those guys/the P and C/etc get good returns from Wild Horizons for their time.

Spoonie, I beat two of the three guys I wanted to beat in the Mile, which is nice. Unfortunately, both of these riders were in front of me when they crashed out, allowing me to pass them... Hope you're in form for c2c2

- Joel
I was out playing roving marshall at a couple of points, we had left to point to pick up the signs before you came around though.

When is the C2C2?

The dude without shoes and bike ran past me when I was going to do a loop of rollercoaster, so i stopped and gave him my stuff to get to the end,
we honestly could not have let him run the 20km or so barefoot on dirt, that's just plain dumb and he should have pulled out and walked his bike back, if he cut his foot open on a rock stick etc how was he supposed to get back home?

gixer7

Likes Dirt
And very disapointed about the amount of GU and other such wrappers left on the course....not good at all considering the organisers keep asking not to do it and give us all placed to throw the wrappers in, dunno who's doing it but it makes us all look bad...personally, i had pockets and a backpack to put things in....where does a lycra clad person who is'nt in a hurry to slow down put theirs???.
Agreed. I still don't understand the littering mentality.

About 1/3 of the way through the last stage I saw a big pile of them and about 20 metres away on the other side of the track was a GU bin. Very average effort whoever that was.

drew.d

Likes Bikes
From memory, I think nearly 30% of the Angry Doc field of 2009 DNFed. I was thinking that the Fling this year was harder than 2009 AD although the stats say otherwise. Am I forgeting the pain of 2009 or were they both bloody hard!
I didn't ride the Fling, but I was at the 2009 Angry Doctor. The race tales sound very similar... I think the track lay out of the AD - looping back past the finish (and your car) after a damn tough 50km - contributed to the high number of DNFs. If the Fling did the same you probably would have had a similar rate of drop outs...

In fact, that's probably something for organisers to keep in mind.

wazzaa

Likes Bikes
fantastic event.... was the first fling ive done, and i finished towards the end of the full fling field, which was kind of expected given the amount of training that i did prior to the event.

still, i had an amazing time. only bummer was that i was hating on the prime singletrack in the GU stage cos i was too buggered to appreciate it.

cheers to all the volunteers and the event organisers... did an excellent job imo

will def be back next year for another crack, hopefully with a better fitness levels under my belt

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
The dude without shoes and bike ran past me when I was going to do a loop of rollercoaster, so i stopped and gave him my stuff to get to the end,
we honestly could not have let him run the 20km or so barefoot on dirt, that's just plain dumb and he should have pulled out and walked his bike back, if he cut his foot open on a rock stick etc how was he supposed to get back home?
So this bloke:
1. had a bike issue?
2. Ditched his shoes and helmet..???
3. Decided he'd run back to the event centre!

There's one born every minute...

ray

Likes Bikes
I think the DNF's in the 2009 AD could also have been due to the 10,000 degree heat that day...and the massive amount of climbing added to it.

i hurt an awful lot that day and almost swore off riding again.....ah well!

Ray

Steve_N

Likes Dirt
fantastic event.... was the first fling ive done, and i finished towards the end of the full fling field, which was kind of expected given the amount of training that i did prior to the event.

still, i had an amazing time. only bummer was that i was hating on the prime singletrack in the GU stage cos i was too buggered to appreciate it.

cheers to all the volunteers and the event organisers... did an excellent job imo

will def be back next year for another crack, hopefully with a better fitness levels under my belt
Agree with you on all aspects Wazzaa... Was also my first Fling and I was one of the last to finish in Vet Males. I hit the wall massively during the GU Stage and was a struggle to finish but made it. Alchemist was nice enough to congratulate me after crossing the line - thanks mate :D.

The organisation was slick, the course was killer, in every sense of the word... :eek: and the singletrack was some of the sweetest I've ridden in a while. It was a shame I was too knackered to enjoy some of it...

Contrary to Dreggsy's post, I did say thanks to most of the marshals/volunteers out there. The ones I didn't I was probably out of the breath... :p Thanks to all of them for helping make the event happen.

Straight after the race if someone had asked me if I would do it again I probably would've slapped them one, but now a couple of days after, I'm keen to give it another crack, so expect to see me lining up again next year.

Have to say also, I think I had the perfect set-up with my bike... Felt like a magic carpet ride, especially along the singletrack and through the grasslands... Just rolls so effortlessly... Love a 29er... ;)

trancexone

Cannon Fodder
So this bloke:
1. had a bike issue?
2. Ditched his shoes and helmet..???
3. Decided he'd run back to the event centre!

There's one born every minute...

Without wishing to be howled down, I can't understand why you would be disrespecting this bloke. I went past him as he was running down a section of fire trail and I thought it was one of the gutsiest things I had seen. DNF was obviously not an option for him, so IMHO, hats off to you mate whoever you are. You showed some real ticker to do what you did and you got there in the end. TOP EFFORT!

ngately

Squid
Agree with you on all aspects Wazzaa... Was also my first Fling and I was one of the last to finish in Vet Males. I hit the wall massively during the GU Stage and was a struggle to finish but made it. Alchemist was nice enough to congratulate me after crossing the line - thanks mate :D.

The organisation was slick, the course was killer, in every sense of the word... :eek: and the singletrack was some of the sweetest I've ridden in a while. It was a shame I was too knackered to enjoy some of it...

Contrary to Dreggsy's post, I did say thanks to most of the marshals/volunteers out there. The ones I didn't I was probably out of the breath... :p Thanks to all of them for helping make the event happen.

Straight after the race if someone had asked me if I would do it again I probably would've slapped them one, but now a couple of days after, I'm keen to give it another crack, so expect to see me lining up again next year.

Have to say also, I think I had the perfect set-up with my bike... Felt like a magic carpet ride, especially along the singletrack and through the grasslands... Just rolls so effortlessly... Love a 29er... ;)
You guys make an important point - it's the volunteers that really make the difference to our 'racing experience' on the day and it takes little extra effort to say/wave/nod "Thanks" to the human being that has been standing there all day to point us in the right direction, help us refill our hydration bladders and so on. Expecting them to pick up our trash is stretching the friendship though I'd say.

I really liked the changes to the course this year - ditching that first single track section that bottlenecked so badly last year was a great call. Also the extra vert should quiet those that suggest the Fling is a softer race than some others . . . 90+ DNF's speaks for itself.

And for the record I'd walk the whole course barefoot before I'd try it on a fixed gear unicycle . . .