Highland Fling - 2010

DaGonz

Eats Squid
for that section, you'd wanna have some mud clearance on your bike running 2.2 RKs - mine really filled out the available space, to the point of having to stop and clear it. other than that, i reckon the tyres are perfect for the fling.
Picking tyres for a 110km race based on a 50-100m section? ok... if it's that sticky that it's binding up in your frame, I'd dare say get off and walk. You'll probably find once 1000 other punters head on through, there will either be a nice black line or it'll be so chopped up you'll be needing to walk anyway

*shrug*

Cheers
Spoonie

sclyde2

Likes Dirt
Picking tyres for a 110km race based on a 50-100m section? ok... if it's that sticky that it's binding up in your frame, I'd dare say get off and walk. You'll probably find once 1000 other punters head on through, there will either be a nice black line or it'll be so chopped up you'll be needing to walk anyway

*shrug*

Cheers
Spoonie
fair point. having said all that, i'm still gonna run a RK even though it clogged up ridiculously on that section. and, should it be as muddy this weekend, i have already decided to walk that section.

given that i haven't ridden stage 1 and 3 yet (and can't remember what kind of dirt there was on those sections, since I last rode around there in '06), and the weather situation is still a bit all over the place, maybe there could be more mud this sunday. the RK certainly doesn't deal with it well at all.

i didn't want to give unqualified "yeah, RK's are awesome, perfect for the fling" advice, and have some one go in there without knowing their limitations (esp if it rains).

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
I rode most of the Wingello forest section of the course yesterday and there was no mud. At the most a couple of damp patches.

It did however rain a torrent (plus hail) just as I was entering 'Outer Limits' so it may be different now.

sclyde2

Likes Dirt
I rode most of the Wingello forest section of the course yesterday and there was no mud. At the most a couple of damp patches.

It did however rain a torrent (plus hail) just as I was entering 'Outer Limits' so it may be different now.
did you do the big climb? the one about 10km or so before outer limits. the trails were otherwise almost totally dry, so we were surprised by the mud on that climb.

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
did you do the big climb? the one about 10km or so before outer limits. the trails were otherwise almost totally dry, so we were surprised by the mud on that climb.
Yep. I rode most of the the course inside of the forest with the exception of a few minor wrong turns. Would have liked to do it starting and finishing from the transition area but was a bit tight for time.

sclyde2

Likes Dirt
Yep. I rode most of the the course inside of the forest with the exception of a few minor wrong turns. Would have liked to do it starting and finishing from the transition area but was a bit tight for time.

sweet. it looks like that bog can dry out in time for the fling - in we get a dry fri/sat.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Is that the same as the one that broke himself (clavicle) on the first tree root/lump at the Mont a few years back?
Correction it is that Chris Wilson. Being tipped by his colleagues this morning to crash his brains out at least once during the race.

We also have a new favourite: Adam Macbeth, provided he can get over his man-flu in time.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
camping in the wet on Sat night hooray! Oh well, part of the adventure.

Looking forward to the fling. Done two halfs before in perfect weather. This time will be underprepared full fling virgin on a 'new' bike. The weather for training on weekends hasn't been kind (when timetable allowed) and my trusted FS steed has cracked, so a hardtail it is.

butlerhr

Likes Bikes
Feed Station Elite Bottles

Dumb Question: What's the deal with bottles etc? How, where when and why? Saturday or Sunday? Start line or Rego?