Highland Fling - 7-8 November

bennyp1

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the report stirk. I'm keen to have a crack next year. Nice to know that hitting 50 km laps around my local may not be the best prep for the race.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Holy fek that was a tough event and I only did the Half Fling!

I thought I had prepared for the event by riding a 50km ride each weekend, up and down the Blue Mountains Oaks trail, well doing that is a cake walk compared to the Highland Fling tracks!

For those that don't know, I didn't till now, these tracks are rocky, very hilly, muddy, sticky cow pat grassy and have a few creek crossings to make sure your shoes are nice, wet and heavy!

The muddy paddock's were possibly the hardest of the lot, the surface seemed to suck your tyre into the ground.

It was tough going and by the 45km mark for the first time ever I got some little cramps setting in so the last 10km was a limp home.

Brokeback hill is what broke my legs, and then the bakers delight single track was hard as, especially as that's where the elite full flingers caught up and passed like I was standing still.

All up a great first event for me and I'll be back next year!

Was tempted to have a beer just before the finish but may have possibly just stayed for a few and not finished the race ;)

Well done stirk. I bet the blue waffles are swollen today. Good luck walking.

stirk

Burner
Big ups to one mad bugger who rode the full fling on a cyclocross and a completely bonkers guy on a single speed!! Both had great sense of humour ranting funny shit as they passed us.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well done Stirk, it's a tough race and the last half of the 50km can be a bit soul destroying!

I am completely rapt with my race. One of my first ever posts on this forum was asking about the Fling 100 mile cutoffs. That was in 2012 when I had just started riding and yesterday I did it!

It was a perfect day, we rode in a group of three so had company the whole way. JUST made the 4pm cut off to start the last stage. A super fun day, the Wingello stage was brilliant - the new single track they have added is pretty epic. MASSIVE smiles all round!

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well done Stirk, it's a tough race and the last half of the 50km can be a bit soul destroying!

I am completely rapt with my race. One of my first ever posts on this forum was asking about the Fling 100 mile cutoffs. That was in 2012 when I had just started riding and yesterday I did it!

It was a perfect day, we rode in a group of three so had company the whole way. JUST made the 4pm cut off to start the last stage. A super fun day, the Wingello stage was brilliant - the new single track they have added is pretty epic. MASSIVE smiles all round!
Well done 100 miler!!!! You must need your head read! As a local we often hit up the teams event for the fling and yesterday we finished third. I got to do the run home this year. Stopped to help a bloke with a missing link and chain fix and ended up just over 1hr 56 so was happy with that. In the past I have done the 55km out at Wingello and you are mad for doing that twice and then the rest of the course, once in a team is generally hard enough. Well done mate on an awesome achievement and well done stirk on your first event!

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I thought I had prepared for the event by riding a 50km ride each weekend, up and down the Blue Mountains Oaks trail, well doing that is a cake walk compared to the Highland Fling tracks!
last part has so many little momentum killers, just don't have the energy to power over them by that stage. climbs like brokeback mtn are relatively easy as they're smooth, pick a low gear and grind up the hill. but then the forest and bakers delight I struggled with. it'd be fun riding if fresher, or if it was a regular trail. I didn't feel I had the energy to react to anything so crawled through. That was also where the elite guys came by, damn they're fast and brilliant bike handlers.

Always a fun atmosphere at the back of the field, you end up passing and being passed by the same group throughout the event. liked the tyre shark in the creek and last chance saloon, gives the event character. one guy was taking shoes and socks off for every creek crossing, not sure if it's a good practice but the sand in the socks was pretty annoying at the end. wasn't a bad burger by the school at the end either.

normally I'd start looking forward to capital punishment now, but that's been canned. have to find another event for a middle aged weekend hack.

bloodpuddle

Likes Bikes
Brilliant event

Well done to all who rode yesterday. This was my 7th or 8th visit to the Fling (3 Full and 4-5 Half - I've lost track) and, as always, it was an absolutely brilliant weekend.

Not only is the main event itself great fun and plenty challenging (no matter what distance or pace you do), but the event weekend they've built around the race is sensational. Took our kids to the Skills Clinic on the Saturday afternoon, which they love every year, and I love watching them getting better and better at all of the features. Soaked up the atmosphere in the village during Saturday afternoon with the end of the (new) run event and the Dash. While my mate & I were out riding the Half yesterday, our kids all did the Kids Fling races, won some great prizes, took some skin off their knees and had a blast.

Good times, good trails, great event. Will be back again next year for sure.

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
3rd Half Fling for me. Been 7 or 8 years since the last. I liked the more recent bits of single track (More recent than 7 or 8 years). Made it a little tougher but also more enjoyable.
Entered only a few weeks ago on a spur of the moment decision, no training at all! Survived ok. Missed the start wave but got the seconds wave ok which actually turned out to be pretty fun.
Only got caught in the last singletrack (Bakers Delight?). Apart from that everyone else was awesome, well done people!

How good was the choir! Blew me away.

Last edited:

Ben_M

Likes Bikes
Well done to all above, especially the 100 miler. Would love to give it a crack one year, but i'm rather under cooked at the moment.

Has also been about 6 years since I last did the (full) fling, and besides the Wingello stage which i've ridden most bits of recently, stages 1 & 3 were very different. For instance last time I did it there was not a single meter of single track in the final stage, which was really disappointing and was part of the reason why I hadn't been back for so long. The new addition of single track made it much tougher this year compared to previous years, and while it sucked, it was also nice at the same time. If you are going to suffer, you might as well do it in a nice environment. I would probably consider doing the half fling in the future if the course stayed the same. I had the 100 miler leaders come past in the final 15k and it was pretty awesome to see them moving at such speeds with 140 odd kays in the legs. I was almost 2hrs slower than my best effort which was 10 Flings ago, but I think i've forgotten how to force myself to ride hard and fast, I just dont have the motivation. I also used the same old bike from back then as well, the reliable 26 hardtail was in fine form. Pretty satisfied with the days outing and tried to have as much fun as I could. Couldn't resist trying to ride the free bike wash on the second time through, got about 3/4 of the way across before hitting a rock, was worth a shot :)

Til next time.

Oh, is that not the best music to start an event like that too?

Last edited: