Hill climb/long ride locations in Northern Beaches

Juz1970

Likes Bikes
hi folks.
i put a similar question up a year or so ago as I was looking for training trails/firetrails that were steep, long, etc., for the BC Bike Race. Long story short, i had to postpone it by a year, so am now back on the bike and desperate for some steep, long riding to get my legs in shape for July.

Any locations that are worth looking at on the Northern Beaches? I am out of Allambie/Manly area. Can be firetrail or whatever, just needs to be steep and longish both distance and/or time-wise - or somewhere i can do (boring) hill repeats.

Thanks in advance!!

JW

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
I hope you have a road bike
From Manly ride the following
Mc Cars creek
Akuna Bay
Bobbin Head
Berowra Waters
Glaston Gorge
Bobbin head
Home for carbo loading recovery

Plenty of hills and distance in that wee ride.

For variation you could add in West Head or a side trip to Mount White and Brooklyn

Binaural

Eats Squid
Does "whatever" also include road rides? No shortage of those on the northern beaches. Bantry bay trail is pretty tough and not that far from you.

Binaural

Eats Squid
I hope you have a road bike
From Manly ride the following
Mc Cars creek
Akuna Bay
Bobbin Head
Berowra Waters
Glaston Gorge
Bobbin head
Home for carbo loading recovery

Plenty of hills and distance in that wee ride.
Look up the 3 gorges routes if you're interested in combining a few of those tough climbs. Great training route.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Another vote for the fire trail in the Cascades... def make a man out you esp the climb out to Belrose. There is also the climbs in Oxford falls fire road, plus the climb out from "Bunnings" to Oxy is fun too. Can't think of anything else,,,, been a while for this old pup

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
Why limit yourself to the northern beaches...

hi folks.
Any locations that are worth looking at on the Northern Beaches?
JW
I know it's not the northern beaches, but...
When training for 100km XCM I have been known to;
Take the train to Glenbrook, alight, ride to national park and up the oaks firetrail to Woodford,
return to Glenbrook via the single track... repeat = 96km/2288m.
https://www.strava.com/activities/26264307

For variety, on the second lap you can go up via Euroka and the Bennetts ridge trail.

Most of the altitude is between Glennbrook and the helipad around half way,
so you could just do that as a long hill repeat if you really wanted quality.

The last hill on Anderson's fire trail is a killer too, that's only a few k's out of Woodford.

- Carpetrunner

Juz1970

Likes Bikes
Thanks!!

Cheers,

JW

I know it's not the northern beaches, but...
When training for 100km XCM I have been known to;
Take the train to Glenbrook, alight, ride to national park and up the oaks firetrail to Woodford,
return to Glenbrook via the single track... repeat = 96km/2288m.
https://www.strava.com/activities/26264307

For variety, on the second lap you can go up via Euroka and the Bennetts ridge trail.

Most of the altitude is between Glennbrook and the helipad around half way,
so you could just do that as a long hill repeat if you really wanted quality.

The last hill on Anderson's fire trail is a killer too, that's only a few k's out of Woodford.

- Carpetrunner