Hillclimb bragging rights...

Bodin

GMBC
It's taken me 7 years, but I finally cracked 20 minutes up Kinglake. I had to turn myself inside out over the last couple of kilometres to do it, but the magnitude of pain pales to insignificance beside the magnitude of pure satisfaction.

19:55 today after getting 21:01 last week in perfect conditions. My Otway Odyssey training is getting good just at the right time, but more importantly, I can finally stop thinking that I'll never go under 20 minutes.

Sorry - not a great thread, but I just had to brag to people who'll understand. :eek:

Last edited:

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well done, I was out that way today - although going the other way, went Eltham > Yarra Glen > Healesville > kinglake > Eltham. Saw Cadel on the road at Panton Hill after decending from Kinglake.

Where do you start timing? I often ride Kinglake but never know where to start my stopwatch for the 'official' start.

I almost broke 25 minutes up Myers creek Rd (25:09) - that'll be my bragging rights when I finally do...

EDIT - change the title to 'Hillclimb bragging rights' and let everyone post up their best efforts.

akashra

Eats Squid
Yeah, I know the feeling. Maybe not over such a long period as you since I've only been riding <3 years, but after slowly cracking away it, going from 21 first time out to 17s over time, it and getting stuck in the 17s, it took ages before I cracked into the 16s up the 1/20 - I was in the low 17s back in April 2008.

Current goal: 16:15.

Bodin

GMBC
Where do you start timing? I often ride Kinglake but never know where to start my stopwatch for the 'official' start.

I almost broke 25 minutes up Myers creek Rd (25:09) - that'll be my bragging rights when I finally do...

...EDIT - change the title to 'Hillclimb bragging rights' and let everyone post up their best efforts.
There is a 60 sign just at the base of the climb and I start the timing from the yellow wiggle sign just after it, as that coincides with a fold in the tarmac on the road that makes it logical for me. The finish is at the 60 sign on the crest up the top about 100m before the roundabout. If I'd gone from 60 sign to 60 sign, I would have recorded 20:02.

Nice work up Myers creek.

Titled changed.

Yeah, I know the feeling. Maybe not over such a long period as you since I've only been riding <3 years, but after slowly cracking away it, going from 21 first time out to 17s over time, it and getting stuck in the 17s, it took ages before I cracked into the 16s up the 1/20 - I was in the low 17s back in April 2008.

Current goal: 16:15.
You suck for making me feel slow on my day of glory. :p Those times are up there with the best that I know of. I reckon anything under 18 is seriously quick.

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You suck for making me feel slow on my day of glory. :p Those times are up there with the best that I know of. I reckon anything under 18 is seriously quick.
Hang on, he's talking about the 1 in 20 not Kinglake isn't he? If they're Kinglake times I'll give up riding tomorrow. Actually, no I won't, I'll just train more.

My first (and only) time up the 1 in 20 was 16:30.:cool:

Bodin

GMBC
Hang on, he's talking about the 1 in 20 not Kinglake isn't he? If they're Kinglake times I'll give up riding tomorrow. Actually, no I won't, I'll just train more.

Where is this 1 in 20?

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Olinda, very pretty climb, big with the roadie set. Only been there once. You'd smash it.

I might have to head these next weekend, PM me if you want to go for a ride on Sunday.

Bodin

GMBC
No worries, Christo - I most likely will be going out again next Sunday, so I'll be in touch. Cheers.

akashra

Eats Squid

Yeah, I realised after re-reading I wasn't very clear at the start of that paragraph. But hey, *I* knew what I was talking about :p~
I think even Jono was doing >16s up Kinglake. I've never even ridden Kinglake.

Olinda, very pretty climb, big with the roadie set. Only been there once. You'd smash it.
Five of us went for an XC ride through the Dandenongs today, one section of the ride we come out just on the false flat, and then go up to about the 2km to go mark. Because we were fresh from a long downhill run, we were absolutely *smashing* it past all these roadies going up the 1/20 - four of us on duallies, sprinting against each other at wound 30km/h. It was pretty funny some of the looks we got :D

Last edited:

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
Not one to time myself, but I know I did 34:35 up Corin Dam for the ACT HC champs back in november. It was the first time I had been on the bike for a few weeks so Im pretty sure I could do a lot better, maybe sub 33. What have you guys done?

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Not one to time myself, but I know I did 34:35 up Corin Dam for the ACT HC champs back in november. It was the first time I had been on the bike for a few weeks so Im pretty sure I could do a lot better, maybe sub 33. What have you guys done?
38mins... from the sign at the bottom to the cattle grate at the top.
But thats normally with 4hrs+ in the legs

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
ACT Black Mountain from junction to right handerat summit

On One Inbred SS 32:17 Small Block 8 2.1 26 inch, 18mins 45 sec
Yeti ARC 12-23 cassette Maxlite 310 rear, Larsen 2.0 front 14.45

Last edited:

Bodin

GMBC
FYI check out this website for comparisons of various climb times and also reference start/finish points
http://www.cycle2max.com/
cheers
Jas
Thanks for that. I've registered my time (comes up 42nd on the list) and was pleased to see that the start/end points are exactly what I used for my timing, so it's a "genuine" sub-20 minute ascent.

I'm pretty happy with a 22.5km/h average up hill, even if it's not a particularly steep hill. At 80kg in all my riding gear, I'm not exactly a whippet.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Bodin, you are welcome.
Me a group of dare I say it triathlon buddies are doing a long day classic through the Kinglake region Saturday week. Which for me will be enjoyable, being a mtber and training up for the Aust marathon champs. They on the other hand are training for the New Zealand Ironman in March, apparently the bike leg has a few undulations (they call them hills). So will be interesting to see what time we get throughout the group considering we will already had 80-90kms in the legs.

Jas

Last edited:

Bodin

GMBC
Bodin, you are welcome.
Me a group of dare I say it triathlon buddies are doing a long day classic through the Kinglake region Saturday week. Which for me will be enjoyable, being a mtber and training up for the Aust marathon champs. They on the other hand are training for the New Zealand Ironman in March, apparently the bike leg has a few undulations (they call them hills). So will be interesting to see what time we get throughout the group considering we will already had 80-90kms in the legs.

Jas
You sound like the sort of bloke who'd know Andrew Connolly. He's one of my best mates and was there with me yesterday, him chasing me up the road probably being the reason why I finally went sub-20. For the record, he got 20:40 on a week where he'd already done 400+ on the bike, 80+ running, 20+ in the pool and he was leaving some in the tank for a 25km run after the 140km ride he did with me. Kinda fit guy and any other day, I'd be the one chasing him...

Flying haggis

Likes Bikes
Nice time on the Kinglake climb Bodin...

My fastest time up there is 33min, but I start timing myself from the 13km road sign in St Andrews to the roundabout in Kinglake. Usually have about 50km in the legs by the time I get there.

Humevale road is another good climb, got up there in 18mins last week.

Bodin

GMBC
Nice time on the Kinglake climb Bodin...

My fastest time up there is 33min, but I start timing myself from the 13km road sign in St Andrews to the roundabout in Kinglake. Usually have about 50km in the legs by the time I get there.

That's pretty quick, because the pinch before it up Wild Dogs is quite steep. I'll have a crack at timing from there this coming weekend if I'm out that way.

Humevale road is another good climb, got up there in 18mins last week.

Yeah - I think that was our descent yesterday on the way back through Kinglake West down to Whittlesea. I couldn't believe that, even a year on, there are still massive areas that are completely burnt out with no signs of life returning yet.
read the bold...