Hilltop Oasis (Bris. MTB Park) to close.

DOM

Eats Squid
Just found out that Brisbane's MTB park is closing due to a descision made by the land owners. Apparently they are concerned about the possibility of legal action taken if something went wrong at the park.

I've never been to the park but I've known Shane and Jasen ( park starters main builders ) for a while and I tell you, these dudes have some serious motivation. To get the park to where it is now has taken 10months of heartache, digging and organising etc and they havent slowed down since the first soil was turned 10 months ago. I know Shane has put his balls on the line a number of times to keep this park running but I guess the land owners have first priority.

Shane, Jasen, everyone who lifted a spade or supported the MTB Park major props to you.

Farkin.net respects your efforts and determination.

For more information on the issue you can check out.
MTB DIRT FORUM

or possibly www.mountainbike.com

-DOM-

Ryan

Radministrator
The hideous bitch-goddess that is public liablility strikes again; from the land-owners of the park;

"We have reached the point now where it would be best to close the park and not have any more building take place. Nothing is in place as far as our peace of mind goes. No-one is taking responsibility for the mountain bike riding .

We are no longer going to put ourselves in the position of looking after this activity. No-one is maintaining the tracks, and there were many people here at the weekend who really should have been supervised, they were under 18 year olds.

I was under the impression there would be a First Aid Officer on duty but this has not been apparent for some time. There is just too much that is not OK. We do not feel like risking all that we have due to negligence.
Your MTBA Insurance covers Riders but it does not cover me if a Lawyer took it in his head to go for us, which is what they are trained to do!!
I am sorry but I feel the time has come to cease.

There is a time and place for everything and it does not feel right, right now. I am getting warning bells."

RESPECT to Shane, Jasen and every single person who helped get the park running.

creepyjoe

Likes Dirt
Closeing down sounds like the sensible thing to do if there really are un-supervised under 18 year olds riding there with no medical officer on site, and the tracks really arn't being maintained?

MIKEY B

Likes Dirt
Shame to see it go. I have only been there twice and had a lot of fun doing the creek gap and moto jump bust must admit that the place was not really run at any standard what so ever.
The tracks that had been established eg: First blood were nice and quick albeit a little short and relatively skill-less to conquer. The north shore ( especially the new sections on commitment really made it for me last time i went down there) but the general vibe of the place made me feel like picking up a hammer and spending an hour or two to fix shit up ( or finish it!).First time i went i met someone called shane who basically gave me the impression that we were not really that welcome. ( Maybe he felt threatened by our skills!).
When we talked to some other guys we got much the same story.
I think that these guys just thought it would be a god idea to build a mountain bike park, but really did not consider the amount of work involved in running the joint.
P.S saw a guy called tom riding super fast on his Big hit Pro. Mad props to this man as he is an awesome bike rider and had this track dialled.

Shane J

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I was just threatened by your skills, who ever you are..

Your comments, considering you do not know us, are very shallow and if you where at the park more than once you would have realised the amount of work Jasen, me and alot of other people had put in. If you are just writing this to get a bite, then na dude you are not worth it... Maybe your skills if any have gone to your head...

"the place was not really run at any standard what so ever" Well it sounds like you can do a better job, so do it big mouth or just shut your whinging up.. We gave it a go... All you can do is complain, so why didn't you help out, or is that below your standard.

See it is people like you who have their say after the place is closed down. If you would have said something in an email or whatever maybe we could have changed things. You go on and put what I did down that's fine, AT LEAST I GAVE IT A GO.... Or maybe I was just threatened that you could have done better... Wanker...

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hit him again shane, he's still twitching. :twisted:
i wish i had been able to get out there, but lack of transport and no freinds did for me :(
as you say shane, at least you gave it a go, and if the opportunity comes up again, who knows but that it'll work out then.
good luck, and thanks for all that you did.

Konaman

Likes Dirt
Mikey B you are a dickhead, two people trying to run a mountain bike park isnt exactly easy unless they earn mass amounts of money (though seeing your so skilled you culd run a mtb park with ur professional mtbing salary).

They gave it ago and the reason why some of the tracks wernt fully maintained was probly due to a lack of help from people like you.

Shane and jason and all the mtbers around brisbane i have met are a good bunch of guys, hows your mtb park going?

S.

ex offender
Konaman said:
Shane and jason and all the mtbers around brisbane i have met are a good bunch of guys, hows your mtb park going?

Edit: Never mind, I'm a retard.

Kram

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Konaman said:
Socket, I think Konaman meant how's Mikey B's park going. As in it's not.

creepyjoe

Likes Dirt
Socket said:
Konaman said:

Psssst..... I think it might be closed!

[hint]read the title[/hint]
Read the connotation not the words Socket, when Konaman said "Hows your mtb park going?" He was reffering to the non-existant mtb park that whoever it is he is having a go at, owns.

Edit: bugger I didn't type fast enough to get my reply in before Krams

MIKEY B

Likes Dirt
Shane, I think that you should chill a little man.
I gave my perspective of the park as i saw it with my own two eyes.
I appreciate that i may have sounded a little harsh but i read and heard about this place for about 6 months before i first went there and i did feel a little let down when arriving for the first time.
Shuttles-only my vehicle!
Facilities-?
Tracks-few and short at that considering the room available!
I know that you guys obviously put in a lot of hard work to get the place this far (i do build local trails in my area) but as someone else has already noted maybe you should have finished the place before spreading the word.
As for skills...read...TAKING THE PISS!.

Shane J

Likes Dirt
Yeah, in hind sight it is all good. But we did what we did and it did not turn out. Maybe some more people can throw the boot in while I am down.

wingy

Likes Dirt
Shane, you have my admiration for trying to get the thing going. It really is a shame that some more of the people with negative views did not have the experience of seeing the parks trails growing and evolving. Perhaps if they consider the amount of time per meter it takes to cut trail or to build a stunt it would temper thier opinions on the length of trails. Perhaps also the fact that volunteers gave up time and energy to build the stuff, cart timber and resources and plan out the future trails in the area has slipped thier minds.
It's a shame they didn't share your vision or the enthusiasm of the people who helped get the park to where it was and no doubt would have made it into a truly awesome facility.

Shane J

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I have heard alot of people say if I was there or maybe if I had helped out... At the end of the day I take full responsibilty to the parks closure as I was the one who started it.

BUT, it will not stop there. If the land owners allow for some organisation of the park with a full committee, business plan, building plan, infastucture plan, maintainance plan, risk assessment, viability assessment and allow time to oraganise first aid coourses etc etc..It will be on again in time. If not there then somewhere else. I will not give up..

Steve

Likes Bikes
Props to you Shane and Jasen for having a vision and then the balls and determination to have a crack at it. Would have been worse had you guys not tried at all.

Steve

bazza

look at me
well all we can do now is plan ahead and look into the future, in my personal opinion the only major problem with the park seemed to be the location of it, i know its insanely hard to get good land like that and awesome work getting it but imagine if we could have one extremly close to brisbane, and get working bees which people can easily attented to eg not having to make a road trip out of it. then you get more people involved and more peopel working there and helping out! NONE THE LESS, you ahve been an inspiration to all the little people out there that would love to see the sport grow and do amazing things, we love you shane and jansen!!!! i would even rate yous up with glen jacobs for changing the sport because now everyone it my part of town knows about the mountain bike park and knows that its there and is a great idea. ah well thats my opinion there. btw dont joke about people work when they have put in tons of hours into it. if only we could get all the dozers in australia to tow it into the center of brisbane!

bb7 rider

Cyclone Imports
how many other mountain bike parks are really succesfull in the world let alone just australia? and then think about the large amount of funding and money these places have, usually ski fields. For shane and associates to try and take on this challenge\ responsibility in order for us riders to benifit from a place safe and fun too ride i belive they deserve the highest mark of respect from all of us. Not only have they taken on this amazingly huge challenge but they acheived a HUGE amount by making it into a national magazine, learnt valuable leasons on what to do\change if it happens again also showing everyone else how its done while the rest of us just sat around waiting for it to happen.

Props to jason and everyone involved with the mountain bike park, i do not live in brisbane but know the benifits that such a place has on our sport and industry and fully support them or what i can do in any further efforts for a mountain bike park!! good work guys.