hilux questions

norco4l

Likes Dirt
got a 94 hilux and i got some territory wheels sitting there but they dont fit they rub on the brake lines what does every one else do to put territory wheels on the 90s hiluxs help appreciated

sam705

Likes Dirt
I'd say you need to space the rims out, but it won't be road registerable i don't think.
Rims are too wide anyway i believe.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I'd say you need to space the rims out, but it won't be road registerable i don't think.
Rims are too wide anyway i believe.
Possible steering issues too.

You could add say fibreglass flares to make it registerable, right?

sam705

Likes Dirt
Possible steering issues too.

You could add say fibreglass flares to make it registerable, right?
Yeah, woud be opening up a whole new tin of worms, steering wise!
As mentioned, a car with wheel spacers has no chance of getting registered.
But, flares do work if you have a wider offset.

$$Noble$$

Likes Dirt
Whaaaat?
Pretty simple. Hilux's aren't designed for such a deep dished rim.

like on this car he has swapped the standard guards for some 4x4 guards so it flares out more. i am assuming what this joker needs is just some more room under there and everyone is telling him to flare the guards so i assumed that is all that is needed to fix the problem hence the 4x4 guards

ademb

Likes Dirt
just put the 4wd guards on, they are flared more. Seen plenty of hilux's running territory rims!

floody

Wheel size expert
Put stock wheels on, get rego. Put spacers on that you need to clear brakes (most likely only 5mm or so), put on territory wheels.

Failing to see significant issue? Yes they're illegal, but you're fitting territory steel rims not 24" chrome China specials, nobody will notice or care unless you're out making a dick of yourself.

Also sounds odd to me that they're rubbing the brake lines. Perhaps have a proper look and see if the hose is routed correctly through all its retaining clips and mounts. If its a banjo fitting you may be able to rotate it slightly for clearance but this also may require rebleeding.

I've seen an SAE buttload of Hiluxes with territory rims on, it cannot be that hard.

If all else fails, try down under mini truckin forum or whatever its called.

Last edited:

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Also sounds odd to me that they're rubbing the brake lines. Perhaps have a proper look and see if the hose is routed correctly through all its retaining clips and mounts. If its a banjo fitting you may be able to rotate it slightly for clearance but this also may require rebleeding.
Agreed. Bro-in-law ran territory rims no worries.

Then he grew up and bought a real hilux (4wd) :p

Mail Man

Likes Dirt
Put stock wheels on, get rego. Put spacers on that you need to clear brakes (most likely only 5mm or so), put on territory wheels.

Then what happens when he has an accident and they discover he has illegal rims. Are you going to pay for damages? Because his insurance will not.

sam705

Likes Dirt
Forget all i said, i thought he was referring to a 4WD lux..

But alot of lowlux's have the front guards out of 4WD Lux's as there is more room.

floody

Wheel size expert
Then what happens when he has an accident and they discover he has illegal rims. Are you going to pay for damages? Because his insurance will not.
Oh please, this is hardly worth getting on the insurance-based morals high horse.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
not if he used spacers behind the wheel, it wouldnt pass police inspection.
Why not? Is this along the same lines as chopping springs?

I would have thought that you could get such a thing professionally done, it should be right? The only problem there, not addressed is the fact his wheels poke out the side of the car, hence the addition of the flares.
*shrugs*

S_M_I_D_D_Y

Likes Dirt
dont use spacers they are illegal for a good reason. and also, the territory wheels will be illegal on a older 2wd hilux as they are quite a bit wider than the standard wheels. most cops shouldn't harass you too much about this though. check the lines are mounted correctly as there are that many low luxes getting around with huge wheels and no worries the terry steelies should fit easy

davo_92

Cannon Fodder
just gotta fab a spring to hold the brake line away from the wheel while its on full loc but have enough spring to let it come out when on lock the other way. i rum 20 x 8.5s on my lux and with the spring fabbed it doesnt rub at all. as far as steering goes they drive alot better with the wide wheels on. and if ur worried about gettin defected by cops shouldnt be drivin a minitruck. :D