Hip Jumps

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Being new to Dh, coming from an XC background, I have been slowly getting comfortable with getting air off jumps. Alot of times on an Xc loop you will have an opportunity to pop off a small lip, but the jumps on a DH track are a totally different story.

After getting my head around jumps with a straight line after the landing, the jumps where the track turns directly after landing (hip jumps) are doing my head in.

I often see guys tailwhipping and the like while in the air and just thought it was showboating, but is this sort technique required to turn the bike while in the air??

If so, how is the best way to learn. Obviously practice is required, but I'm not sure how to move the bike when my body seems to involuntarily freeze the moment the bike leaves the ground.;)

hazza6542

Eats Squid
If you're using 5.10's it'll make your life easier to practise this, I started out by just rolling on a flat (street, carpark etc.) and lifting the rear of the bike up a bit off the ground. That should be really easy, then just start rotating your feet the same way and it'll push the bike out to that side. Then just progress to do that on little jumps and work up so eventually it will be a whip, but for hips I try to bring the bike side up towards me like a flatty (I think that's what it's called anyway...) into the landing, should make it a lot smoother landing.

PirateKing

Likes Dirt
I tend to find if I turn up the ramp just a tiny bit, and I really do mean a tiny bit, then it all just flows and follows and the bike\body takes of the rest and just sorts itself out, so long as your stay loose.

Bilza_ridez

Banned
there are a few ways you can hip jumps
i do a table and saughta whip it at the same time which works

PS. Its a whip, a tail whip is when you spin the frame around in mid air which is impossible on a DH bike