Hire bike options in Whistler? Norco Team DH, Demo 8, Rocky Mountain, any others?

tumble

Likes Dirt
Doing a few days riding while on honeymoon at the start of 2011 season & I've found these options so far..
2011 Demo 8 @ Evolution
2011 Norco Team DH @ Fanatyk Co
Rocky Mountain Flatline Park @ Summit Sports

I'm leaning toward the Demo myself but wouldn't mind the Norco either.
Anyone been there this year who might know of other options for DH rental? Not interested in the Konas.

Last edited:

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Agree with Opsi.

But seriously, there is Trek's, Glory's, Transitions. Wait until you get there and go sick with choice.

0psi

Eats Squid
But I would try to spend 2-3 days on one bike. Ie- if you had 5 days, spend the first 3 days on 3 different bikes and the last 2 on your favourite.

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would probably just stick to one bike, as I'm sure it will feel much different to your current ride.

That way you can get very familiar with how the bike handles different things.

Therefore you can just slay it up on the last couple of days.

tumble

Likes Dirt
Agree with Opsi.

But seriously, there is Trek's, Glory's, Transitions. Wait until you get there and go sick with choice.
I'd rather not risk trying to hook something up when I get there. With my luck all the good bikes will be booked out & because I need a large that's even riskier. Also I'd rather have the same bike for the 3 days, as said before it'll take at least a day setting it up to feel right & getting used to it.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just wondering why Trek and Glory get the unnecessary apostrophe but Transition doesn't?
Or - Trek's big hitters, variations of Glories and he only knows of one Transition available for hire??? Or other variations of print as you think. Does Rotorburn have an English forum and can anyone correct my last sentence?:p

tumble

Likes Dirt
I've definately decided on pre-booking a large 2011 Demo 8 through Evolution.

Feel free to add to this thread though if you have any other usefull & current info on hiring any other DH bikes in Whistler as I was struggling to find this type of info on here.
I'll edit the title to help future searches.

XC Hire

I was in Canada in August and hired a XC bike from Summit at Whistler. It was a fantanstic bike (Altitude). It has definitely put Rocky Mountain on my wish list for the future. Better yet though the staff were really helpful, they put on pedals to go with my shoes, let me borrow a pump and spare tubes. Heaps of Aussies working in the shop too which was good.
So while I didn't have any experience with the DH bikes, the guys at Summit are great and would recommend them.

Linda
www.EnduroExplorer.com

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Feel free to add to this thread though if you have any other usefull & current info on hiring any other DH bikes in Whistler as I was struggling to find this type of info on here.
I rented a 2010 Demo this year from Evolution. They were great to deal with :)
Just be aware that at the end of every day they charge $5 extra for every new flat spot in your rims.

I've also rented from Summit and they were fine to deal with too.

beardi

Likes Dirt
I can tell you're excited about the coming Canadian summer but I think it will pay to chill out a bit. There will be a bike there for you, DON'T WORRY!
Here is why you should wait and see.......

1. It's winter in Whistler - No one is in bike mode there anymore. If staff are interested in taking your booking i'd be suprised. Also the guy that takes your order may not even be working there next summer.
2. They might change their fleet over....or another shop may buy in next years bike that weights 10kg, has 25 inches of travel and comes with virgins to satisfy your every desire. Will you regret Evolution's Demo if someone else buys in something better?
3. What happens if you don't like the bike? You've payed for a week of use in advance and now you're stuck on a POS.
4. Something could happen to disrupt your plans, an opportunity to visit other bike parks or the North Shore of Van - Jennifer Hawkins might want you to 'keep her company' etc.....but you can't because you've already committed to a week in advance and you don't want to waste the money. Dude, you just turned down Miss Universe because you pre-booked! I bet it doesn't seem like such a good idea now!

Having spent a bit of time over there I can tell you that businesses do pretty well from people not actually using what they've pre-booked. The mountain in particular. People book a week of tickets, hire etc....and invariably there are few days that they don't feel like riding or something pops up and they cant use their ticket and they end up blowing heaps of cash for no reason. Just book it as you go, that way you have more freedom to do what you want when you want.

$.02

tumble

Likes Dirt
I can tell you're excited about the coming Canadian summer but I think it will pay to chill out a bit. There will be a bike there for you, DON'T WORRY!
Here is why you should wait and see.......
1. It's winter in Whistler - No one is in bike mode there anymore. If staff are interested in taking your booking i'd be suprised. Also the guy that takes your order may not even be working there next summer.
It's not so much that I'm excited, I'm just getting experienced peoples opinions at the moment & for that I thank you. I've already been told by Evolution that there's no real need to pre-book until within a month of my visit so that's what I'll be doing. My main reason for wanting to pre-book as I've stated before is I don't want to get stuck on a medium bike. I need a large & with my seriously bad luck with leaving things un-planned or leaving it up to chance... My bad luck WILL prevail & I WILL miss out on a large bike. Then my dream holiday will be ruined.
2. They might change their fleet over....or another shop may buy in next years bike that weights 10kg, has 25 inches of travel and comes with virgins to satisfy your every desire. Will you regret Evolution's Demo if someone else buys in something better?
I've already established with Evolution that they will have the new 2011 Demo 8s, not too much could be better than that.
3. What happens if you don't like the bike? You've payed for a week of use in advance and now you're stuck on a POS.
As above.
4. Something could happen to disrupt your plans, an opportunity to visit other bike parks or the North Shore of Van - Jennifer Hawkins might want you to 'keep her company' etc.....but you can't because you've already committed to a week in advance and you don't want to waste the money. Dude, you just turned down Miss Universe because you pre-booked! I bet it doesn't seem like such a good idea now!
My plans won't change. Ill be on my honeymoon so I'll have my own Jennifer Hawkins waiting to massage me when I finish each ride day.
Having spent a bit of time over there I can tell you that businesses do pretty well from people not actually using what they've pre-booked. The mountain in particular. People book a week of tickets, hire etc....and invariably there are few days that they don't feel like riding or something pops up and they cant use their ticket and they end up blowing heaps of cash for no reason. Just book it as you go, that way you have more freedom to do what you want when you want.
$.02
Thanks again for the info, I understand where you're coming from but as I'm only there for a week & only plan to ride for 3 days, I prefer to plan it out before hand. If I was still single & staying there for a while longer I'd be happy to wing it. For that matter I'd be taking my own bike over.

beardi

Likes Dirt
Sorry man it probably sounded like I was having a go at you. Definitely wasn't my intention if that's the way it came across. You definitely can't go wrong with a demo and Evolution is such a rad shop, awesome range of streetwear and they have their own brand of evolution jerseys that have some amazing designs and make a great non-tacky souvenir.
Also the mountain runs an amazing night for girls on Wednesdays. They make it super fun and non-threatening, lots of prizes etc...your new wife will have a ball!
Cheers,
Chris

Banya

Squid
Hey mate,

Good choice with demo from Evolution. I have been there for the past two years on short trips and they have never let me down. All damage to bikes is charged at cost and I think with no labour so pretty fair really. The $5 charge per rim ding is also pretty fair as it goes towards building up new wheels. On the other hand, the Bike Co did dissapoint me as I have a 2010 glory myself and was keen to ride a hire one to see how it went there. Paid for two days then booked another and when I got there on the third day it wasnt available. No apology, nothing.
Also, for others looking for info on this topic in the future, be aware that all bikes come stock generally which means that in the Glorys case, narrow bars. If you have room in your luggage, take your preferred bits inc pedals and if possible your own helmet and pads as the hire ones reek.
As far as booking ahead, it is a good idea if you know what you want. On the other hand, it is fun riding a different bike every day as well.
This may not interest you but I would strongly recommend hooking up with a guide for a day to show you around and lead you into stuff. You will get much more value from your time there if limited. Tristan from bare back adventures(I think) is a pretty cool guy and cost me $40 an hour. Well worth it.

tumble

Likes Dirt
If you have room in your luggage, take your preferred bits inc pedals and if possible your own helmet and pads as the hire ones reek.
Yeah cheers, I planned to do this. I rented helmet & protection once in Switzerland & I was nearly dry reaching the whole day.
This may not interest you but I would strongly recommend hooking up with a guide for a day to show you around and lead you into stuff. You will get much more value from your time there if limited. Tristan from bare back adventures(I think) is a pretty cool guy and cost me $40 an hour. Well worth it.
Good advise, I definately ride unknown trails better following a leader. thanks heaps.

ngately

Squid

I demoed a Demo in the Whistler park in October - I doubt you will be disappointed! Except when you have to hand it back. . .