Hire Trailer for Shuttles

hmcleay

Likes Bikes
Hi Guys,
My mates and I are hitting up Queenstown in November for a week of DH.
We plan on hiring a trailer there for carrying the bikes during shuttles.
There will be 5 of us with bikes, but I would like the capacity to carry more, so that we can 'pick up' some locals and have good times together....riding I mean.... on bikes.

Obviously, being a hire trailer, we can't make any mods to it.

I was envisaging using a 6x4 caged trailer, and hanging the bikes up on the front and back walls (i.e. main part of bike within the 6x4 area, front wheel & fork hanging on the outside of the 6x4 area).
We would have to throw some padding (old carpet or something) over the front & rear to prevent damage to our bikes.

They also have 8x4 caged trailers.
Has anyone tried hanging the bikes over the SIDES of a caged trailer (rather than the front and back)?
Would this be too wide for safe use on public roads?

The hire company also has a few enclosed trailers.
One called a 'furniture' trailer with box dimensions of 3.25m long x 1.6m wide x 2.1m high.
This one would be great security-wise, but it would be difficult and time-consuming to load the bikes so that they don't move around inside.

They've also got a horse float!

I've only ever used a 'custom' trailer for shuttles.
Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers,
Hugh.

Mail Man

Likes Dirt
The only thing I can help with is, if you hang the bikes over the sides of a standard trailer the wheels will drag on the ground. This only works with utes. Unless it is a 4WD one. Maybe knock up a removable rack that will elevate the front wheel.

I am not an expert but as for the width of the bikes hanging over the side, if it is within the width of your mirrors then it is safe otherwise it is classed as a wide load. But this is pure hear say, call the RTA and find out.

5h1f7y

Likes Dirt
id hire a Merc Sprinter local and just wash all the dirt off before i took it back

Fit 10 bikes easy and wouldnt cost all that much more than the trailer.

But im biased i spose. Ive always thought trailers were a pain in the arse and Vans are the way to go.