HIT BY A CAR

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
You're all still forgetting that this was CAEOTIC... so who cares :lol:

Anyway, Daver that's totally wrong to say the vehicle/bike/ped that is GETTING hit is always in the right. This fool just came shooting out at right angles to the road.

Ever sent a friend to his death and sat there watching ? yeah its pretty funny....

Just think if the car was going slightly faster... or you mate didnt hit the car, but slid under it.

Would it still be funny and you'd still be laughing carrying that image for the rest of your life and explaining to his family why he died ?

Your a loser and so is your mate, and you do nothing but damage for the sport of mountain biking.

As posted previsously, its no wonder why the press have such a negative attitude towards "us" as a collective.
I dont want my right to ride taken away because of you morons.

Get a brain and see if you can summon up some small sense of responsiblilty not just for yourself, but for a sport that is currently struggling for acceptance.

FFS just maybe Darwin was on to something : (

HL out

Gutty,

I have been in a very similar case where i had a couple of tourists pedestrian run out from infront of a semi tralier across 3 lanes of traffic. I was on a motorbike and weaved to miss the first as he appeared (lucky was only doing 30kms or so) but the second leapt straight in front of me and I hit her. There was no way possible for me to stop or avoid hitting this person.

The pedestrian was taken to hospital and released that night with nothing broken and a slight bruise on her hip.

12 months later i get summonsed and she is suing for $250,000 and the rest.
After 3 solid days in court i have a fair idea of how this works....
The law states that as a motorist you have a duty of care towards every other pedestrian cyclist etc.
However he most important thing in this whole case, is that NEVER has a court awarded 100% liability towards a pedestrian or party that has been hit by a car.
No matter how dumb this guy is, the motorist will cop some of the blame ad cost.
There has not been a precedent set, and not many judges are willing to set the precedent becuase of the ramifications of such a decision.

my 3 cents ( 2 plus GST)

HL out

Sugez

Likes Dirt
Can I just say this...While what you are all insulting each other over is not even on topic. All he typed it in for was to say this happened. He thought it was funny. You guys don't GET OVER IT.

Rik

logged out
Sugez said:
Can I just say this...While what you are all insulting each other over is not even on topic. All he typed it in for was to say this happened. He thought it was funny. You guys don't GET OVER IT.
Huh? get over what? If noone points out how wrong they are, how will they learn?
If there wasn't meant to be any discussion spurred from the inital post, why was it posted on a FORUM?
Baseless flaming of people won't be tolerated. But, if there's a reason for the posts being made, then it's ok.

hairy

Likes Dirt
THRILLHOUSE said:
Hairy said:
its not funny really i got hit by a car and snapped the forks of my bike after breaking a couple of ribs. if i wasn't wearing a full face at the time i would not have a face now either, i was black head to toe in bruising as well, car accidents with bike riders are not funny they hurt :wink: the driver of the car i was hit by i actually knew by coincidence and he was shaking so much and he was heaps pail the poor blokes bout 60 and was shaken up bout it for days.
cough*bullshit*cough
ha u think its "bullshit" u ask glen when we get back to school he was riding behind me. and nick if your going to insult me do it face to face please.

danv

Likes Dirt
Hardcore Lazy said:
12 months later i get summonsed and she is suing for $250,000 and the rest.
After 3 solid days in court i have a fair idea of how this works....
The law states that as a motorist you have a duty of care towards every other pedestrian cyclist etc.
However he most important thing in this whole case, is that NEVER has a court awarded 100% liability towards a pedestrian or party that has been hit by a car.
No matter how dumb this guy is, the motorist will cop some of the blame ad cost.
There has not been a precedent set, and not many judges are willing to set the precedent becuase of the ramifications of such a decision.

my 3 cents ( 2 plus GST)
I think this highlights the source of the confusion. You need to make a distinction between civil law and criminal law. Whilst there may be no penalities under criminal law if a pedestrian walks in front of a car, there may have been precedent set in a civil case, which means that a driver could be liable to an extent for the injury to the pedestrian. In the case of civil law, if the driver is liable, they will need to pay damages or whatever. Civil law is suing, and is where issues of liablity, negligence etc. come into play. Criminal law deals with legislation and penalties (fines, sentences) etc. The two aren't neccesarily consistent with each other (even taking into account the differnet redresses or punishments)

And that shouldv'e been 2.2 cents by my calculation.

And the fact that some kid got hit by a car in that circumstance is a little amusing, but not that funny, only because its not that interesting.

caeottic, myself and a friend were street riding in chatswood
Now THAT sight sounds funny. Were you canvasing ideas for more bad posts?

sifter

Likes Dirt
i got hit by a civic on cuba street, it took my legs out but luckily my lanky physique probably weighed more than the car and the oriental gentleman inside so i took no damage

MUGEN

Likes Bikes and Dirt
bam said:
my friend rode into a car and tacoed his rims and the car wasnt moving. now that was funny.

but getting hit by a car isnt all that funny dude. someone could have been seriously hurt. be more aware next time.
Someone could still be seriously hurt if he/she ran into a stationary car! But I get your point, it may have been funny if we accually saw this happening but.....

Greg

Battle
wombat said:
So, someone has been trying a stair gap, the spotter hasn't got the message through, and the rider has been cleaned up by a car?

So when's the funny bit come along? How was the driver of ther car? an L-plater at that! Do any of you lot drive? Do you know how much it can shock you when you hit someone? Geez......
do you know by experience or something?

VicRiders

Likes Dirt
yeah i have my own share of car stories....it was about 4-5 months when frist got hit by this german lady...so she invites me into her house for water...the second time on my way to school...SAME LADY...and what do u know..."Do you want to come in for water??"..then about a week later, just to complete the trilogy, she hits me again....after the third time i decided no tto ride on the footpath...