hm

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yep, used to work right up until you did it again and they cracked.
i had a set of the gold hubbd graphites on my quadangle.
hey, anyone remember z rims. they were the nylon rims that were supposed to impossible to buckle. if you did all you needed to do was replace the spokes and they were straight like new.... right up until the moment you snapped them in half thru the whoop section :(
*edit* seem to remember them coming in 5 and 6 spoke, depending on when you bought them, and whether they were the race, or freestyle models. complete with coaster brake. woohoo.

kitakishi

Likes Dirt
I have an old JMC black shadow with Skyway Graffite tuffs (they come with a gold centre so you can tell that they are/were the $$$$$ ones)

Anyway enough of that crap but I don't remember ever seeing a skyway tuff that had 6 spokes. I may be wrong though.

KK

dhd

Downhill Direct
The six spoke ones were another brand called ACS.
I had some blue ones and they rocked!

Also that bike WILL get stolen.....It's retro value is pretty high. Want something that won't get nicked.....buy a K-mart bike!

msbhvn

Likes Bikes
The wheels that would apparently un buckle when put in the freezer, jeez i remember them oh so well :lol:

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Aahahahahahahaha, you guys crack me up.

1, you don't (ever) put tuffs in the freezer to straighten them(read Lupines post for a reason why), if you did manage to bend them(pretty much impossible) you put them in a bath full of hot(as hot as possible) water. This relaxes the plastic and allows it to take it's moulded shape again.

2, if any of you did bend em i'd love to know how. I was a sponsored BMXer as a grommy, i used to smash the shit out of mine(purposely flick out bins, cans in the gutter etc) and it took me 3 years to crack one but never ever bent any. I once put my front wheel under a mechanics hoist loaded with a Ford F350 Palfinger and all, thern let the hoist down, thats comes to something like 3-4 tonnes i had resting on my front wheel, all i got was a flat.

DHD, close but no cigar(assuming we are talking about the same wheels), the brand was DBS(Don, Brian, Steve) and they were also known as Aussie tuffs. The first and only tuffs made in Oz.

The mould was sold to Skyway around the early 80's. They changed the hub to something much smaller and lighter. If you shop around you can still buy those exact tuffs today. FrasersCycles at Taren Point had some in last time i was there.

I know all this because my dad was the guy who made em. I only have 2 sets left, one on my original BMX(this is still the wheel that went under the hoist) and another set i gave to a mate years ago, he was chucking his BMX out so i grabbed the wheels.

My dad with one of the very first wheels, the hollow spokes were filled in only about 6 months after the first production run to add even more strength.

Some wheels boxed up ready to ship, and the guy holding one standing next to the mould is still my toolroom foreman. very smart fella.

Chilli

Likes Dirt
Dude! i own one of those :D i bought it eight years ago from cashies, and ive still got it! its tough and ive been going around on it to mates places, shops and all that piddly crap that i wouldnt drag my mounty out to. i dont even need to lock it up! well i havnt for the last seven years and its still around :D BUY IT! BUY IT NOW! theyre just so useful :wink: