HMBA XC Round 10 - Dungog 3 hour

Steven P

Likes Bikes
HMBA Dungog 3 hour: Sunday 30 October 2011

Registration will be from 8:30am through to 9:30 am. (Racing to start at 10am) Cost is $10 for over 18 year olds, $5 if 18 or under, plus $20 if you need a day licence.

Pre-registration: If you think you will be there on Sunday, please send me an email to pre-register. I had a bit of an oops with the database at the last club race and it my take me a little longer to get things organised on the day, so if you pre-register I will be thankful. When you do pre-register, please tell me your race number (if you have one) as well as your name and the category you want to race in. (scpryor@optusnet.com.au)

Time Keeping: We are looking for volunteers to help out with the timekeeping. It's not a difficult job, and any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Everyone is welcome to come and ride - it is a club race and first timers through to elites are welcome. The format is a 3 hour event - ride as many laps as you can in the time stopping as often as you like. Once you have completed one lap, you will be classed as a finisher.

See hmba.asn.au for more details.

Big Stu

Likes Bikes
Dungog lost and found...

Great track, great day of racing...except for that last lap which was like waterskiing along the singletrack. Crossmarks are hopeless in the wet, apparrantly Continental X-kings are good.

If anybody happens to pick up a bike computer at, um, I think it is called "Sharons Elbow" corner, that would be mine. I stacked it there just before the corner and did not notice the missing computer till a few km later and I was too wet and buggered to go back and get it.

Stu.

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anyone know who was taking pictures during the day?. I saw someone shooting on several corners.

shoogyboom

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know who was taking pictures during the day?. I saw someone shooting on several corners.
I was taking pics. Some turned out ok but I was a little disappointed with the bulk. I just took them for fun so don't expect too much. I was mainly trying to get a photo of someone at the common for an event flyer. I will try and upload them as soon as I can.

Didn't see your computer anywhere last night Stu but it was dark. I will keep my eye out and let some other local riders know.

If anyone has a good photo of someone riding at the common please PM me and it may end up on an event flyer.

Also, would be great to hear everyone's opinion of the tracks?

Cheers

Cap

Likes Dirt
Opinion of the track?

On the 1st half of the loop I was thinking to myself...this sucks, alot of hard pedalling for no reward, though I did like the rocky traverse and the banked grass switch backs (A&B). 2nd half of the track made realise that I had passed judgement too soon... Hell yeah, there is a reward. Super fast, super flowy downhills with some nice features. It's a fantastic course in my opinion and I've ridden plenty.

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any pictures would be great, no647 if you can find any. Dont worry about the quality, send em through. for years Ive behind the camera and simpy dont have any decent pix of me riding.

The track review - much of the same point of view as above. First lap was cooked early due to being worked by the first climb off the fireroad then the grind through to the AB split. Loved the changes in terrain, one of the best scenery tracks (doesnt beat Stromlo for views and decending value). So much traction in what you would normally consider as sketchy dirt. Effort vs reward is on par with any XC track in NSW. 8hr next year will be killer.

Overall I think the track was great. I loved the climb with the 13 hairpin turns. Needs a little bit of work on the grassy bits but nothing a 6 hour race couldn't fix.

One down side for racing are the numerous opportunities for illegal shortcuts. I saw several people doing this around the bone yard and I know others did too.

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
Overall I think the track was great. I loved the climb with the 13 hairpin turns. Needs a little bit of work on the grassy bits but nothing a 6 hour race couldn't fix.

One down side for racing are the numerous opportunities for illegal shortcuts. I saw several people doing this around the bone yard and I know others did too.
Thats a shame, I was hoping people would have a little honour. I don't think there is a enough bunting tape in the world to prevent all the shortcutting options on course.

Steven P

Likes Bikes
Thats a shame, I was hoping people would have a little honour. I don't think there is a enough bunting tape in the world to prevent all the shortcutting options on course.
Several people let me know at the end of the race that they had shortened up the last lap when the rain was starting to bucket down. Other than that, i don't believe it is a big issue and I don't think there is a mountain bike race anywhere that you couldn't cheat on if you really wanted too.

I only saw it whilst it was pouring. I still don't see the point short cutting when you are already soaked to the bone - I was loving it!

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks Shoggy ..... not the pic I was expecting. There was atleast 2 other photogs out during the first lap and one somewhere ont he last BIG downhill section. Where do all these dudes put their pics?? I know when i was shooting MTB, i could wait to get em up and share 'em round.

shoogyboom

Likes Dirt
more photos

I have heaps more. Been busy with uni exams and moving house. Rotorburn uploader blows so I will upload them to flickr or something and post a link here.

shoogyboom

Likes Dirt
Originals

no worries. If anyone wants any original images please PM me the flickr image number.

Last edited: