Hola Cairns and East Coast!

Stu-

Squid
Whats up fellow gravityriders! :yo:

I just got my WH visa and I'm planning to start my journey from Cairns probably landing on June-July. I found this forum and decided to come here and
see what's going on :)

Little bit of myself: I'm coming from a country called Finland (Yes, Matti Lehikoinen is from here too \o/) and I've been riding bikes
my whole life. I've also done national series for about 5 years. Of course I dont have my bike with me when I come but I think I can't keep myself
away from the trails :D Renting bikes seems to be expensive but I wont stress too much beforehand.

Reason I'm coming is that I just felt I need to get abroad and see the world. Situation in life is good for that although I had to quit my job and give up my apartment :wacko: (meaning I have also get ridden of my girlfriend :D)

That's about it. Would be awesome to meet locals and drink few beers :thumb:

Stu-

Squid
Haha! you said that vikingen! :lol: you are working in heaven? :D Skål!

G'day Dozer! I dont have any solid plans but at least down to Sydney and why not to Melbourne as well. Also it would be great to explore the inner continent. I'm open to all.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Haha! you said that vikingen! :lol: you are working in heaven? :D Skål!

G'day Dozer! I dont have any solid plans but at least down to Sydney and why not to Melbourne as well. Also it would be great to explore the inner continent. I'm open to all.
You'll see some amazing sights on that journey. If you plan to drive through my town; Coffs Harbour and have the urge to ride some trails then hit me up, I'll gladly show you the best mountain top in the area. ;)
Will you rent or buy a car to do your trip or fly between cities?

Stu-

Squid
Daym! I was just about to send my reply but got timed out I guess. So lets be quick!

Yea I will surely PM you if Im going to stop Coffs :) Any other good places to visit? I know the "more famous" places like Brisbane and Gold Coast but how about the smaller ones?
Roadtrip is the way to go so either renting or buying a car. Its more relaxed when you'r not so tied to timetables.

ps. Funny thing happened today as a guy called me from Australia. I think he was from some kind of agency that offers to do taxation etc paperwork for you when arriving. I said im not even in the country yet so he promised to call me back :D But i've heard its not so big of a issue to handle then by yourself so better save the money and do the work yourself.

wavike

Likes Dirt
I doubt if you'll find hire bikes, especially gravity, anywhere but some major centers/bike park type locations. Cairns is also a small market and finding a used bike will be hard and you'll probably have a limited choice new and be paying full price. Giant bikes are cheepish over here and generally popular on the second hand market. You will also need a car down most the the east coast to get to trails. You will be looking at around 3000 klms direct from Cairns to Melbourne.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You'll need a car if you want to shuttle. The only bike parks with chairlifts are Thredbo + Mt Buller unfortunately, and they are summer operations only.

I would offer to show you around Cairns, but I'll be away for June & July!

Stu-

Squid
Greetings again!

Heh, it obviously took me some time to get in here! I left Finland as planned but then I was just too excited to travel so it took 1 month in Malaysia ja 2 months in Indonesia before I got my ass here :D

But yea now Im in Cairns and would love to meet you guys!

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Greetings again!

Heh, it obviously took me some time to get in here! I left Finland as planned but then I was just too excited to travel so it took 1 month in Malaysia ja 2 months in Indonesia before I got my ass here :D

But yea now Im in Cairns and would love to meet you guys!
Personal message sent Stu
We are in Atherton 80km from Cairns
Google - Atherton Forest Mountain Bike Park

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you want to get to Atherton, shoot me a PM. I head up to Atherton for a ride fairly regularly.Maybe hook up with jeffgre for a ride.

Stu-

Squid
Oh man sounds good but I dont yet have a bike nor gear :frusty: Its quite small market here when I looked at gumtree.

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Oh man sounds good but I dont yet have a bike nor gear :frusty: Its quite small market here when I looked at gumtree.
No worries
I know of a 2015 Trek Remedy 9.9 for sale at a fraction of its recommended retail (9.5k)
650b, Carbon frame, full XTR 1 x 11 group set, size M (17.5 inch)
1 old lady owner only driven to church on Sunday's
.....ok that last bit isn't true but the bike for sale is.
Drop me a PM if you are interested

Stu-

Squid
Gonna pump this up! Im coming back to Cairns as I volunteered for the world cup :) Any others who also volunteered?

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll (hopefully!) be volunteering with medical, but I haven't heard anything back yet. Shoot me a message when you get back into town if you're struggling for things to do, always keen for a beer!