Holden VR-VS Ute Question

jarrad7

Likes Dirt
G'day,
does anyone own or drive a Holden VR or VS ute? If so, you should be able to answer this question.
How much room is there behind the seats? Between the seat and wall. I am considering buying one, but without having looked at one yet, would like just a rough idea of how much room there is eg. to install subs.

thanks,
Jarrad

rayza

Likes Dirt
i owned one for a few years. theres not alot of room. probly not enough room for subs... although, i had 2 10" subs in mine. installed next to the fuel tank, under the floorpan in the ute body. they have 2 approx 5" holes that go from in the cabin behind the passenger seat (theres some on the drivers side too, but the fuel tank is on this side) with plastic covers that can be removed. if your reasonably skilled with wood and power tools you should be able to do the install yourself. ive got pics of the setup on my other computer if your intersted.

jarrad7

Likes Dirt
yeah im not too keen on cutting holes, i was thinking the slimline subs might fit, i might have to have a look at a ute, then check out the depth of the subs..
ive seen some that have been installed straight through the wall, but we'll see what happens.
could you post that picture up when you get around to it?

cheers

stoff

Likes Dirt
I had a VS Series 3 S. No Room anywhere in the cab. Even stowing the soft cover inside the cab was a massive pain. My recommendation (apart from the obvious of never buying a car you haven't looked at) is have a look at the thing. I would say it is the most reliable car I have had, even more so than my the Navara I bought brand new (2 power steering failures) and I really enjoyed driving it. One of the newer Holdens will have more room if they are an option. It hurts me to say this, but maybe consider the roomier Ford models of the same vintage if you want to put audio gear in there.

jarrad7

Likes Dirt
was thinking of the ford for a long time, then the holdens grew on me, theyre a much more modern looking car for their age compared to the ford.
might just have to deal with not having subs and chuck in some decent 6x9's
thanks guys

S_M_I_D_D_Y

Likes Dirt
i own a ba ute. they have plenty of room for audio gear behind the seats, if its an option have a look at them. the ba and au are basically the same body (ute at least) , just different front end panels, interior plastic seats etc. not too sure on room in older models but the au-ba is great for what you want.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The VY and VZ commodore utes have enough room to fit a case of beer and a sports bag behind each seat. There is heaps of room.

Last edited:

jarrad7

Likes Dirt
the AU could be on the cards, they seem to be reasonably priced, i think the BA, VY and VZ are a bit out of my price range. I'll just have to be lucky to pick up the right one i think. anyone run their subs in the tray? how does it sound? or does it allow too much sound to disperse elsewhere?

rayza

Likes Dirt
you dont have to cut any holes to mount the subs underfloor. the 5" holes behind the seats are already there, they are just blanked off with plastic. the only mod is making and installing the cabinet into the void under the ute tray.

S_M_I_D_D_Y

Likes Dirt
subs in the tray, possibly not the best idea there. might be ok with the commodore if you built the box into the cabin end and ported it through would be alot or work though. sure the vy/vz has some room, my mate has just squeezed 2 10" subs in undersized boxes in the area behind/under his seats. in my ba, i have enough space for a 12" behind each seat, sports bag in the space behind / under the seat and easily a carton behind the center console