Home & Contents Insurance renewals...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Ozzy, you probably won't be able to relax until both of them start complaining about young P-plate drivers...
Probably still wont relax, when they complained about young riders being irresponsible and doing stupid shit, I used to think pot-kettle-black it was only 6 months ago you were... ah never mind :rolleyes:

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
We've just moved so I was going through the policy with the updated address and noticed the bikes hadn't been carried across from last year :eek: but the premium was the same...quick call to NRMA and bikes added to the portable contents for an extra $30/month, bloody lucky nothing happened to them for the last 9 months since the policy renewal.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Doing my shopping around now (sort of) and QBE seem to office a decent premium from their online quoting system (heaps cheaper than Allianz) but will only insure bikes as specified portable items for up to $10k. I guess this is alright as I wouldn't have more that $10k in bikes away from home at any point in time. Hopefully they're covered at home for more that that total.

Any opinions / experience on QBE?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I decided to run with QBE instead of renew with Allianz. QBE seem to get good rankings / awards on industry assessments.

Allianz sent me an updated premium which was absolutely taking the piss ..... flood cover option changing from $82 a year to 'kindly capped at' $5000 per year !?!?!!?!?

QBE for the same home and contents coverage amounts, with flood cover, accidental damage and portable items cover for $10k of bike, $15k of jewellery and $3k of electronic gadgets (so basically matching the Allianz policy) was about grand less per annum than what Allianz were charging me and about a third of what Allianz were intending to charge me from 5 November :eek:.

I figure I won't have more that $10k of bike away from home at a time, or at least very very rarely.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
insurance is absurd. Gotta keep on top of it to not get ripped off. Just had to ad another policy, couldn't find a better deal than Youi (who we are with right now for everything) but asked for a discount on every policy given i was opening another one - 40 bucks off a month over the policies. Dont ask, don't get.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I received my car insurance renewal notice this week, but having recently moved regional it hadn't been swapped to my new address yet. Just called up and updated the address. Ended up $931.06 cheaper than the renewal I just received for my previous address (same cover, excesses, etc... except for changing from estimated driving of <10,000km per year, to 20,000+km per year). Ended up less than 1/3rd the premium for the previous address. :eek:

But here's where it gets really weird. Because my old house was still under settlement while I took up a 'licensing agreement' on my new place (like renting, but I'm financially responsible for the condition of the new place), I have for a few weeks had two home insurance policies running simultaneously. I had already paid the new policy for a full year, expecting to cancel the old policy on my previous house once it had sold & settled (which it now has). I rang the insurer, and they advised it would be better to update the old policy of my previous house with my new address and cancel the new policy - as the old policy on the previous house has "capped" policy price increases due to me "being a long-term policy holder" (only ~6 years) on that policy. So by the time my address was updated on the old policy, the long-term customer discount adjustment applied, the additional home insurance policy cancelled, and car insurance paid - I just renewed my car insurance and received $776 dollars from the insurer! o_O

Kind of scared to leave the house today now to be honest, feel like I'm going to be struck by a meteorite or something! :oops: In the meantime though - Viva la' regional life! :p

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I received my car insurance renewal notice this week, but having recently moved regional it hadn't been swapped to my new address yet. Just called up and updated the address. Ended up $931.06 cheaper than the renewal I just received for my previous address (same cover, excesses, etc... except for changing from estimated driving of 3rd the premium for the previous address. :eek:

But here's where it gets really weird. Because my old house was still under settlement while I took up a 'licensing agreement' on my new place (like renting, but I'm financially responsible for the condition of the new place), I have for a few weeks had two home insurance policies running simultaneously. I had already paid the new policy for a full year, expecting to cancel the old policy on my previous house once it had sold & settled (which it now has). I rang the insurer, and they advised it would be better to update the old policy of my previous house with my new address and cancel the new policy - as the old policy on the previous house has "capped" policy price increases due to me "being a long-term policy holder" (only ~6 years) on that policy. So by the time my address was updated on the old policy, the long-term customer discount adjustment applied, the additional home insurance policy cancelled, and car insurance paid - I just renewed my car insurance and received $776 dollars from the insurer! o_O

Kind of scared to leave the house today now to be honest, feel like I'm going to be struck by a meteorite or something! :oops: In the meantime though - Viva la' regional life! :p
Do you have personal meteorite strike coverage?

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I've dipped in and out of this thread... Any firm recommendations on a good home and contents provider?

I'm not in a flood area and am looking to move two homes and a car over as I'm shitty with my current insurer.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I've dipped in and out of this thread... Any firm recommendations on a good home and contents provider?

I'm not in a flood area and am looking to move two homes and a car over as I'm shitty with my current insurer.
youi's been pretty good to us. Their roadside assist has been great and their call centers are local. Always getting discounts off them when i look to move so been with them for a while. Not had to claim yet, so cant comment there.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
youi's been pretty good to us. Their roadside assist has been great and their call centers are local. Always getting discounts off them when i look to move so been with them for a while. Not had to claim yet, so cant comment there.
mine was good til I had to make a claim...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check them out

Switch

huskier headed gent
See how you feel about Youi when you need to make a claim, we ended up having to go to the ombudsman and had them falsify phone calls the works before they finally had to payout to have the whole repair redone. I will always go out of my way to push people away from youi they were that bad.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
See how you feel about Youi when you need to make a claim, we ended up having to go to the ombudsman and had them falsify phone calls the works before they finally had to payout to have the whole repair redone. I will always go out of my way to push people away from youi they were that bad.
friends had opposite experience. Insured a brand new car, write of 48 hrs later in a tram accident, agreed value claim paid no questions asked. Same friends had a burglary, again no questions asked. Quite smooth. I know this is anecdotal, as is yours. But I wonder why such a difference in outcomes.