Home Head Set Pressing

climberman

Likes Dirt
Any ideas for a home head set press process?

Was thinking some timber either side, threaded rod through the middle, crank down with the spanner on a nut to slowly compress.

Any other ideas? Anything to watch out for with this method?

Ivan

Eats Squid
Any ideas for a home head set press process?

Was thinking some timber either side, threaded rod through the middle, crank down with the spanner on a nut to slowly compress.

Any other ideas? Anything to watch out for with this method?

I have a threaded rod with some big washers. I am tempted to use a wood block next time instead of washers as it would be easier to hang on to (it feels like one of those jobs where you need three hands). The only thing I would watch out for with timber is the headset cup making an impression in it and then making the cup not square.

I might also try wingnuts instead of bolts on the threaded rod, just so it's easier to get everything aligned and snug before tightening.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
It works. I use to pieces of timber and washers on the timber. Main thing to watch for is the cups driving in at an angle. Can straighten up with the judicious use of a rubber mallet.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used a hole saw to cut two wooden disks that fitted into the headset cup. Then put a big bolt through the middle and wound the headset into place. Worked a treat.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
If you have a large bench vice that opens wide enough, a couple of thin strips of wood to protect the cups from the jaws & squeeze it in. You may need a helper to support the frame though.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I could never get the get the cups to go in straight with threaded rod and washers.
Buckled and bought a headset press on special for ~ $80. So much easier.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I could never get the get the cups to go in straight with threaded rod and washers.
Buckled and bought a headset press on special for ~ $80. So much easier.
I used a hammer and block of wood for years. Never an issue. Now I have a proper press. Its much quieter.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Who mentioned blocks of wood? That's what I did before I tried to get all home-tech with a threaded rod. It actually worked better.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
I use a big sash clamp and a couple of squares of plywood, squeeze them in then measure around to make sure they are square to each other.