Home Made For seal driver tool

Richard Devey

Likes Bikes
hello, anyone make a home made 34 fox seal driver tool, not keen to pay the $50 ish bux for it, and actually what do you use to tap the damper ends out????

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
hello, anyone make a home made 34 fox seal driver tool, not keen to pay the $50 ish bux for it, and actually what do you use to tap the damper ends out????
I just use a length of PVC pipe
Any decent plumbing supplies shop should have a variety of internal diameters to suit your fork
Just make sure you cut the end square and sand off the sharp edges

teK--

Eats Squid
I just use a length of PVC pipe
Any decent plumbing supplies shop should have a variety of internal diameters to suit your fork
Just make sure you cut the end square and sand off the sharp edges
This.

Just measure diameter using caliper then buy closest match from hardware store . I ended up using a pvc pipe connector it had a nice smooth bevel and other end with a wide area to grab onto

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
This.

Just measure diameter using caliper then buy closest match from hardware store . I ended up using a pvc pipe connector it had a nice smooth bevel and other end with a wide area to grab onto
Or if you don't have calipers, just take the seal in with you and find the pipe that works! On a 32" fork I've even pulled out the end plug from a paint roller cover and used it - worked perfectly.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
and actually what do you use to tap the damper ends out????
I use a piece of timber dowel. Drilled a short hole in the middle of it to fit the little bit that pokes out, pop it on and tap away. Sure as hell never going to damage anything using timber to tap it out.

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
fit the little bit that pokes out, pop it on and tap away.
the little bit that pokes out....

Its very common to use a deep 10mm socket and a old/spare foot nut if you dont have the tool, you can use your existing foot nut but it will mark it a little bit, alot of lazy bike shops use this method and you can pick it by little marks on your foot nuts.

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
the little bit that pokes out....
Its very common to use a deep 10mm socket and a old/spare foot nut if you dont have the tool, you can use your existing foot nut but it will mark it a little bit, alot of lazy bike shops use this method and you can pick it by little marks on your foot nuts.
True this
The nuts are made of alloy not steel so care is required or they will get damaged

trickbooter

Likes Dirt
Ha. I used a tyre level to get the seal out and to push it in. A careful eye and finger was all I needed. Damn sure a piece of pipe would have done a better job tbh, but you can get very close to perfect without anything special.

Horaldo

Squid
Agree with the piece of plastic for 34" seals.

For 32" seal try the old school plastic cushioned door stop available from bunnies for ~$1.70. Worked a treat for me and the cushioning on the end was easy on the hand :p