Home-made guide to truing wheels with discs

AdrenalineJunkie

Likes Dirt
I was feeling rather bored while sick today so i decided to put my mind to work. I invented this all on my lonesome and if someone's already done it then farkin hell i didn't copy.

I have trouble truing front wheels that are disc equiped because there isn't the guides that you get with v brakes. At work i have to always take the wheel off and put em on the jig because i'm not good enough to do em on the bike yet :x when their disc specific. A highly annoying, time consuming, and not to mention embarassing proccess.

For those that don't work in a BS and want to true their own rims and have the same ineptness as me, then either u gotta pay for your LBS (and we do it very well at that :wink: ) to do it, or buy urself a jig.

Not anymore!

"WTF" i hear u say?

All you need is a thick rubber band, two pencils (one wit an eraser on the end perferably) and some sticky tape.

Well...

1. Sticky tape the pencil's together at the non-eraser end then cross em till bout 45degrees.

2. Put the sticky taped end on the inside of your fork and seperate each pencil to either side of the lowers.
Place the rubber band on one of the open ends outside the forks and stretch around to the opposite pencil.

HINT: When u seperate the pencils put the eraser-equiped pencil toward whichever direction u'll be adjusting the spokes from.

3. Wrap the rubber band back around to the first pencil, they should stay on the lowers without u touchin em.

NOTE: you may need to wrap your band a few more times to get it tight enough to hold the pencils together, depending on ur rubberband, length of pencils and the size of ur lowers. :wink:

4. Spin the pencils around so that the eraser-equiped one is facing which ever direction your truing from, and the rubber band is hard up against the lowers - wrapping around by 10mm or more is better still.

HINT: Twist the rubber band against the lowers as it makes the pencils stay better with the lowers.

5. Push the pencils towards/away from the rim, sliding the rubber band up/down the pencils accordingly, so that the eraser is closest to the rim at whatever distance you need to measure the variance in ur rim. (I've suggested u use a pencil with an eraser as it doesn't scratch ur rim - hmm yes like the wood of the pencil would anyway! but yer....)

DONE!!!

Your guage should look something like this....

TO FARKIN EASY!!!

Stay tuned for the new and improved version in a few days.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
How do you actually use the thing after that?
My own budget way:

Flourescent Highlighter
One wheel still on bike

Spin the wheel up really fast, then use the highlighter to slowly close in on the spinning sidewall using the chainstay or seatstay as a hand rest. Keep moving the highlighter tip SLOWLY towards the rim, when the highlighter touches stop moving it.
The highlighter will mark a series of dashes where the rim is out of true.
Do it for both sides, and tighten the corresponding spokes a tiny amount.
Wash, rinse, repeat until the wheel is true.

big_pete

Likes Bikes and Dirt
does it work, you would have to replace those "pads" a fair bit, and man you have to Much spare time on yourhands :)

AdrenalineJunkie

Likes Dirt
Chewy, i used to do the same thing (highter and spining) but it's more time consuming and messy, and less accurate too.

Once u got it on the lowers its easy: adjust the pencil so it's just off the wheel *depends how big ur warp is but* and if it hits then adjust acordingly. No big spin needed because the wheel moves and hits if its out, so u can see where and how sever the bend is and u can adjust it as required without having to change tools or anything.

Because u can adjust the pencil so closely to the rim u can get minor bends that you wouldn't get with a highlighter (because ur hands move) and you an alot more accurate true :).

If u'r really particualar then u could mirror it on the other lower (so u got two...) and it's doing the exact same thing a jig. Actually i think i'll do this next time....

And big pete, i'm sick ay? :p

Rik

logged out
You can use a cable tie, cut it so the end is brushing on the rim then adjust its angle to suit, much easier than pencils and elastic bands etc ;) But I like your idea just for the ingenuity behind it.

edwin veal

Likes Dirt
i made my own trueing stand
works great and only took like 5 mins to build and another 10 to make a supersensitive dial attatchment

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
edwin veal said:
i made my own trueing stand
works great and only took like 5 mins to build and another 10 to make a supersensitive dial attatchment
Pics? Plans? :p

ride_hard199

Likes Dirt
hmm i have found everything i need except for the 2 pencils...
does it matter if the pencils arent the same and arent colourfull like yours ?? :?