home made parts

tu plang

knob
i have got a couple of weeks left at school and my technology (manual arts) teacher has commandeered my current job (which was almost finished) to show off to ppl (this is the conclusion i have come to). gettin to the point, i have a bunch of lessons in the workshop with access to metal lathes, milling machines ect. so i was wondering if ne of u guys had made ne stuff urself, really nething from bike stand to chainguides absalutely nething. its gettin really boring in class so even if it doesnt turn out great it will still be a laugh. i know some other guy recently posted a similar request and i read that tomac boy is a bit of a handy man but that post kinda ground to a halt and tomac boy hasnt made an appearance.
so ne input would be appreciated, if ur nice, and its a simple job i might make 2 ;) (offer valid to brisbane residents only)

Rik

logged out
Might as well do a few simple things, like bar plugs and other random bits. Honestly I personally wouldn't make anything that needed any strength, but that's because I just lack confidence in my own work.

SausaGe_LiNk

Likes Dirt
Psycodh said:
a frend made a bike stand in tech, only for front wheel, like u sit the whel in it with supports at the bottom
Yeah a couple of my mates did that too.
Why dont you make a chainguide like you said, that would be interesting :?
Or maybe some riser bars, umm out of ideas :shock:

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
i actually just got my tech project back 3 days ago. i made a bike repair stand, adjustable in height and u can take it apart in under 10 seconds so u can take it to races. its been weight tested to 23 kg and it held up just fine.
i only had 2 weeks to make it so i didn't get enough time to finish the clamping system :(

tu plang

knob
thanks for the suggestions im thinkin of tryin somin like a truvativ chainguide with the 2 rollers (even thought the design got shit reviews) it looks like it should be simple enough and if it turns out ok it shouldnt be too unlike and mrp boomerang. depends wat materials they have left at school and wat machines they will allow me to use. bash rings look very do-able with the right tools too but i already got one soooo....
i'll let u know wat i do, and i'll try and get some pics up of the finished product.

EDIT: Additionally could some1 tell me the diameter of the inner (threaded part) and outter part of the bb cup

dylma

Likes Dirt
make a ramp (jump)!!! they rock. like they only have to be 2 feet high, cauz u find the steepest hill u can find, set it up at the top, then hit it up wit heaps of speed and wala! u have urself a mighty arse jump!!!! i maid one myself and take it to the golf course all the time! consider it m8, cauz it is worth while

Dane

Likes Dirt
could make me a rear fender with super mega wank factor to go with my front 'the' fender!

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i've made a couple of bashguards on the lathe.
I made a perspex one that didn't last long.
But the aluminium one i made has put up with everything.
I went to bunnyhop onto a wall and forgot to lift the back wheel and the bashguard smacked it pretty hard and it's still perfectly str8.

dlwd3w

Likes Dirt
I think pyrotek made an actual bike rack for a car in shop once, but a bike stand would be cool, put it in your garage to make things nice and neat :p

pyrotek

Likes Bikes
yep and chain tensior mods
bike stand that was small stable but looked fulgy
it went walkies in my last move..
One of the guys i was with made a DJ frame from steal
its still going strong
he spent ages on getting the geo right lol
random bits for my dodgy single speed bike to

engering classes use to own

Well i've not made much bike stuff from scratch but i do make other things and modify basic stuff.
eg: just this morning i modified a Hayes 8" Boxxer mount into a normal 8" mount and thus saved myself $80.

I had to basically cut it in half (width wise). Was really handy to have access to a decent workshop because we did the job in all of 5 minutes. AND it turned out professional looking.

Dad and i make trailers and horse floats so i'm thinking of just maiking a "all-in one" enclosed trailer with a pop-up roof, workstand/bench/ place to store shit (kinda like a go-kart trailer). Will be really handy to courrier people and bikes up hills. :idea: although my mates will proabably borrow it more than i will use it.

tu plang

knob
hmmm being end of year we are kinda lacking materials at skool, they are just starting to get in next years stuff now. so atm i think i might attempt a bashring out of steel and see how light i can get it... so ah if anyone is
a) interested in a steel bashring of their own
b) knows a place in bris southside where i could get some cheap aluminium or polycarb offcuts
let me know
i also need the details of the bolt holes - how big basically
ne help with that would b good
thanks guys
ben