Homebake- What did everyone think?

punkfreq

Likes Dirt
The Highlights? The Lowlights? Did you stay at the main stage all day? Did you move around between them all? Was there anything you were REALLY hanging out for? And of course, which act was you're favourite?

Me? Well I spent most of my day in front of the main stage, Got dragged around a fair bit to see some bands which I'm not really into, but were nice to see, by my girlfriend. I really liked Wolfmother, and I was surprised because I had never heard them before and the general opinion was that they are crap. I also (very surprisingly) really enjoyed Ben lee and Evermore! But of course, the best act of the day would have to have been The Living End. I wasnt really a big fan of their music personally, but the crowd absolutely went off! The few songs that sounded farmiliar to me I really enjoyed. I really should have enjoyed it more but I was getting VERY dizzy (make sure you drink lots of water at music festivals! even if it means spending lots of money!!) I also enjoyed the Finn Brothers, and it was fantastic that they played a few crownded house songs!

All in all, a good day! epsecially since i was only really there because i was invited, i really wouldnt have been fussed if i missed it! But I'm stoked that i went!

Rik

logged out
Pretty good day. I managed to drink alot and *ahem* yet wake up today feeling relatively sharp, didn't get sunburnt at all either! Those two things alone are enough to make a festival good ;)
Mess Hall were cool, even though I spent most of their set in the lineup, ugh. Architecture in Helsinki were enjoyable, The Herd went off with their cover of "I was only 19".
Cog blew us away as usual, although I prefer to see them in a more intimate environment to really absorb their music. Rogue Traders was the most horrid screeching sound I've heard, the fact that people enjoyed them is a testament to the prevalence of drugs at festivals these days.
Go Betweens was nice feelgood stuff, but I gave them the flick and let myself get taken on a journey by Decoder Ring. Their music is amazing, and their singer is beautiful too.
I screwed around for a bit until Wolf & Cub came on, that was incredibly intense. Everyone was going off, the little tent amplified the energy and made it a great experience.
After W&C, I said my goodbyes and jumped in a cab out to Olympic Park to see the Crue.

Whilst I didn't get in a huge amount of music (compared to most festivals), Decoder Ring and W&C made my day worthwhile on their performances alone.

Last edited:

Adrian

Junkie (not the adrenalin type either)
Just wrote and essay for this thread and lost it. Here we go again.

-Missed Local Knowledge, but heard them from outside. Were good.
-Saw ten minutes of KissChasy,
-Expatriot; Very Curish influences.
-The Mess Hall; meh. Sure they were technically pretty good, just didn't do it for me.
-End of Fashion; Way to rip off the Pixies guys. Top single... Was there with friends.
-COG. Intense. Brilliant. Most people at the front of the pit were bigger than me.
-Evermore; Chill up the front after COG.
-Wolfmother; Shit. Here we go again. Ended up squeezing back to the edge of one of the circles. Watch bigger guys take each other out. Was funny.
-Ben Lee; A closet fan for a long time. Haven't heard the new album yet, but new stuff was good. He Played 'My guitar', a song that can be found on an album released when he was 14, and no one else knew the words, so that was cool.
-Something for Kate; A great live act, even if you can't stand their albums. I like them. Very intense music, thought provoking lyrics, beautiful bass player.
-The Cat Empire; Way too many people at the Dome Stage. Great live if you're into their music. Can't be reproduced on an album.
-The Living End; Rockin'. Very fun. I only knew their old songs too, but their stage show is pretty insane. Can't get enough double bass balancing tricks.
-The Finn Brothers; Grew up on this stuff. Great show, Music spanning from the 70's to this year, and they were really enjoying themselves, so we did too.

Downsides;

I missed The Herd, Architecture in Helsinki, Sarah Blasko, The Beautiful Girls, and Wolf and Cub. Can't have everything.

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good day. Watched a lot of really cool bands. Only one I didn't enjoy was Rogue Traders. They were ok but average compared to the other bands.
Drank way too much later in the evening and missed a few things whilst I talked crap with strange women.

Damien G

Likes Bikes
Awsome day!
Fav had to be The Herd, i love them.
Mess Hall went off.
Evermore were pretty good.
Saw Pnau for the first time and it was wicked!
The Grates was ok but didn't really do it for me...
Cog was awsome, first time i had heard them as well.
Wolfmother was as good as always!
WOW!....The Living End....i never liked them but after that performance it has changed my stance on them...they rocked!
Finn Bothers was a bit past me...i am a bit young for them...
Surprisingly i really enjoyed Sarah Blasco.
Went to watch the Cat Empire cause they are so good....but i was near the back and i couldn't hear them....they really needed to turn it up! So we scrubbed that idea!

And finally......
I was with the VIP's on stage for Cut Copy and The Dirty Three and it was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! So intense! Being right next to the bands was awsome! Being my first homebake this made my day!