Hope brake pads

teK--

Eats Squid
Hi does anyone know where in Australia stocks (online) Hope E4 brake pads? Can't seem to find them anywhere; only for other models of Hope.

Cheers.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi does anyone know where in Australia stocks (online) Hope E4 brake pads? Can't seem to find them anywhere; only for other models of Hope.

Cheers.
I am pretty sure the M4 are the same pads. I think Pushys have them.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Swisstops are great pads, but not twice as good as their price usually suggests. Just go with the Shimanos...

Now if anyone needs any genuine Hope X2 pads, I have 10 sets here, approx 5 sintered and 5 organic.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Contact bikesportz.com.au they are spare parts supplier for Hope in Australia. they will be able to order the pads for you
Bike Sports won't deal with the public and will need to order though your LBS.

What about the pad retaining circlip? Mine flew across the shed the other night and cannot locate it. Only 30 cents each but $10 to post from Wiggle, was just going to pop into Bunnings and get a small split pin.

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
What's wrong with the standard pads? Metal for the front, standard for the rear & just order from CRC...

The new "E4" pads are bigger (deeper) than the old M4 pads... If your discs are really worn I'm not sure how compatible theyy will be... New discs, no problem

teK--

Eats Squid
What's wrong with the standard pads? Metal for the front, standard for the rear & just order from CRC...

The new "E4" pads are bigger (deeper) than the old M4 pads... If your discs are really worn I'm not sure how compatible theyy will be... New discs, no problem
Thanks for the tip re pad thickness; I've just read the same elsewhere.

Have just ordered the "proper" genuine Hope E4 pads off Merlin... only $17 and spend min 50pounds get 10% off Hope at the moment. Have bought sintered for fronts and will run the organics on rear.

Cheers

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the tip re pad thickness; I've just read the same elsewhere.

Have just ordered the "proper" genuine Hope E4 pads off Merlin... only $17 and spend min 50pounds get 10% off Hope at the moment. Have bought sintered for fronts and will run the organics on rear.

Cheers
Most people just run the genuine hopes. They've never given me issues, wear really well, and fit. I did note the new E4 pads I stuck in the other day had "Hope By xxx" on them...can't remember who it was and the pads are in the bike now... But will try to remember to see who makes them next time they are out... I'm sure you'll receive your pads well before that though as this is my 3rd set of rears in 4 years...

Also it's pad "depth" not thickness... Well, at least for me it was. The pad now covers more of the disc than it used to, which was ok because I also needed a new disc!

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt

What about the pad retaining circlip? Mine flew across the shed the other night and cannot locate it. Only 30 cents each but $10 to post from Wiggle, was just going to pop into Bunnings and get a small split pin.
Just fold a small paper clip through it.. you'd have to be pretty unlucky for the pin to come out in the first place, this is just a last safety mechanism so the pads don't fall out.

If you are up hornsby way in Sydney you can have my old clip I just removed? For the M4... For free... It's sitting in a container waiting for the bin

teK--

Eats Squid
Most people just run the genuine hopes. They've never given me issues, wear really well, and fit. I did note the new E4 pads I stuck in the other day had "Hope By xxx" on them...can't remember who it was and the pads are in the bike now... But will try to remember to see who makes them next time they are out... I'm sure you'll receive your pads well before that though as this is my 3rd set of rears in 4 years...

Also it's pad "depth" not thickness... Well, at least for me it was. The pad now covers more of the disc than it used to, which was ok because I also needed a new disc!
Shit I just checked and they are deeper than the braking track on these Sram centerline rotors. 15.5mm pad vs 13mm braking track.

Reckon itd be ok or do I have to shell out for Hope rotors now too?

josh_psyosphere

Likes Bikes
You contact bikesportz they will order part for you then send it too your LBS. where you then pay & pickup your parts when come in
thats how i order my spares from hope

my steps
i Had bikesportz order for me. then they sent parts to cecil walkers or LBS. then cecil invoices me parts cost and postage cost to me from cecil.
bikesportz gives you the price spares so LBS cant charge you extra apart from postage from LBS to you if you dont pick them up.
took just about over a week to receive after ordering

Last edited:

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Just fold a small paper clip through it.. you'd have to be pretty unlucky for the pin to come out in the first place, this is just a last safety mechanism so the pads don't fall out.

If you are up hornsby way in Sydney you can have my old clip I just removed? For the M4... For free... It's sitting in a container waiting for the bin
Cheers, located in Adelaide so a bit of a drive. Found the clip last night on the floor. Was going to use a paper clip as a temporary measure.

Do Hopes come with organic pads standard?

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
Shit I just checked and they are deeper than the braking track on these Sram centerline rotors. 15.5mm pad vs 13mm braking track.

Reckon itd be ok or do I have to shell out for Hope rotors now too?
They overhang the inside edge of my shimano rotors too, only slightly. Doesn't seem to cause a problem for me...

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
Cheers, located in Adelaide so a bit of a drive. Found the clip last night on the floor. Was going to use a paper clip as a temporary measure.

Do Hopes come with organic pads standard?
Yes, generally. Not sure if some, I.e. downhill ones come with sintered as standard...

teK--

Eats Squid
They overhang the inside edge of my shimano rotors too, only slightly. Doesn't seem to cause a problem for me...
Thanks.

I have no concerns about it overhanging the inside edge since the rotor spokes will trim the pads to be level. It's more if the pad hangs over the outside edge of the rotor since then it will create a lip, that makes it hard to view amount of pad wear and eventually the pads might even touch unless you file off the lip.

Although different make/model rotors have varying track width, I wonder if a 180mm rotor spec requires there be no more than 180mm on the outside edge. I.e. any additional track width is on the inside edge. If you start getting 181, 182mm rotors for example and they are being sold as 180 then they might start fouling on the caliper.

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
Thanks.

I have no concerns about it overhanging the inside edge since the rotor spokes will trim the pads to be level. It's more if the pad hangs over the outside edge of the rotor since then it will create a lip, that makes it hard to view amount of pad wear and eventually the pads might even touch unless you file off the lip.

Although different make/model rotors have varying track width, I wonder if a 180mm rotor spec requires there be no more than 180mm on the outside edge. I.e. any additional track width is on the inside edge. If you start getting 181, 182mm rotors for example and they are being sold as 180 then they might start fouling on the caliper.
If they work fine now and didn't overhang, it'll be fine with the new pads. The new pads are only deeper on the inside edge, not the outside edge. Regardless, if you have E4's you should already have the "big" pads, which are bigger than shimano, etc.