Hope E4 Caliper Contacting Mount with 180m rotor

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hoping some Hope fanboys can help me out here with a minor annoyance.

I have been running the E4's for a while now on my Banshee Rune V2 and when installing did not notice any issue, but have just noticed that the front end of the rear caliper is contacting the frame/adaptor where the IS mount bolts up. I have remedied it by installing a washer to lift the caliper a couple of mm, but it irks me that it it does not fit correctly. I should also mention I am running a hand me down 180mm adaptor from my previous bike, which had Avids installed from factory, and this is probably the issue.
I am assuming the 180mm Hope adaptor will fix the problem, but am not keen on forking out for this before I know for sure that there will be no issue.
Anyone have a similar problem? Is the Hope adaptor the answer?

I only noticed this after helping a mate install his V4s on his Glory with 200mm rotors and when using the existing mounts the calipers also contacted the frame and/or mounts unless you use a couple of spacers, which messes with the pad to rotor alignment. We are now trying to source some 200mm adaptors that work, but as Hope only seem to cater for 203mm rotors it is proving difficult.

Cheers.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Avid adapters are designed to run cup and cone washers (CPS) under the caliper to facilitate a level fitting of the caliper with their shitty tolerances. A hope or older shitmano adapter will remedy the issue, although I'm fairly sure Hopes only come in +3mm sizes.

I have some CPS odds and sods if'n you want to give them a burl.

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Avid adapters are designed to run cup and cone washers under the caliper to facilitate a level fitting of the caliper with their shitty tolerances. A hope or older shitmano adapter will remedy the issue, although I'm fairly sure Hopes only come in +3mm sizes.

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt
I did think about that, but it seems that when the adaptors are run with the cup and cones in there the calipers sit way too high and only 2/3 or 3/4 of the pad contacts the caliper. This is on the Glory. The difference on my bike is too minimal to really matter, but is more of an annoyance that I know it is not quite right. I might grab an el cheapo Shimano adaptor and give it a go before paying the 30+ dollars to get the hope one sent from CRC or Merlin.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I have a couple of used Hope adaptors; an H and an F.

You can have one if it suits.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If the aren't the hope adapters you may need to Dremel some of the metal away to clear the caliper. Like I did here post #67:

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?297891-AM-2016-Giant-Reign-Advanced-1/page2

Some other adapters like Northshorebillet are designed to clear big calipers like Hopes. Avids and Shimano generally do not.
I did consider getting the Dremel out. I think I will have to machine a bit of the dropout, rather than the adaptor, or both so I am trying to avoid that. I did see some NSB adaptors fairly cheap so I might try one of those out. Cheers for the heads up.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ended up buying a Shitmano 180mm adaptor and it works perfectly. Must just be the shitty hand me down adaptor I was using.

Last edited:

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
As you found out, shimano works well as long as you have 180mm rotors, not 183mm rotors or the calliper will hit the rotor, just...