Hope headset issues

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Do they have Jarlsberg too?
There is something for everyone ! I like a nice Jarlsberg ! Sorry Miguel we have derailed your thread somewhat . Back on topic now that I have come down , I remember my first headset cup press was a piece of hardwood , an anvil and a dirty big hammer . If you don`t have one already get yourself a copy of Zinn and the art of mountain bike maintenance , really showed me the way a few years back . Now back to the footy !

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Do they have Jarlsberg too?
There is all types of cheese. Some of it spurting freely from the pipe! It's a glorious place.

There is something for everyone ! I like a nice Jarlsberg ! Sorry Miguel we have derailed your thread somewhat . Back on topic now that I have come down , I remember my first headset cup press was a piece of hardwood , an anvil and a dirty big hammer . If you don`t have one already get yourself a copy of Zinn and the art of mountain bike maintenance , really showed me the way a few years back . Now back to the footy !
My first headset press was the fence, a piece of ply, and the hammer. I've recently resorted to this with a few particularly stubborn headsets. The old fence is a bit wobbly these days. Frame squeezed between my legs to level and steady it. I look back in horror and amazement at how many friends insisted on having my ghetto workshop dial their bikes.

slowmick

38-39"
Hey bloke - if it makes you feel any better i had the same issue when i installed the headset in my eccentric. I had too many spacers above the top bearing. if you have no spacers above the top bearing then i think the bearing is not sittign right.can you get it to sit fluch without the fork installed?

good luck - it's frustrating when you are starting out and shit isn't as easy as you hoped. I had a few what the fuck moments building up my first bike.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
He wanted something like this above the stem:

It's exactly what I did so I could fine tune the cockpit before a final steerer cut. Far from an unreasonable request I'd have thought.

I'm in Melbourne btw and happy to help if you want?

nzdans

Likes Dirt
Great thread guys, has made bath time that much more enjoyable..

My $0.02:

-Has the fork got a straight steerer (I realise odds are low but must ask)? If so maybe the crown race and upper bearing insert have been mixed up as they're both split.
-If a star nut is installed & the steerer then needs to be cut lower the nut can easily be driven further down prior to the new cut saving that $6.
-I reckon any thread less headset should be able to be packed down (to at least look ok) pushing the stem down by hand, it may have a bit of play but not daylight under the seals.

Carry on.. Oh & more pics please.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
There is all types of cheese. Some of it spurting freely from the pipe! It's a glorious place.

My first headset press was the fence, a piece of ply, and the hammer. I've recently resorted to this with a few particularly stubborn headsets. The old fence is a bit wobbly these days. Frame squeezed between my legs to level and steady it. I look back in horror and amazement at how many friends insisted on having my ghetto workshop dial their bikes.
Spurts of all sorts about . Your willingness to give it a go ( the aussie way no doubt ) is why your mates insist on the poodle shop . Keep up the good work .

On a side note , in Mario Land , just for Johnny , those who stop on the trail and block ones flow would receive the death penalty .

MarioM

Likes Dirt
He wanted something like this above the stem:

It's exactly what I did so I could fine tune the cockpit before a final steerer cut. Far from an unreasonable request I'd have thought.

I'm in Melbourne btw and happy to help if you want?
We have all done it . A perfect example right there . Miguel , you should take up Boom Kings offer . Combined with the rest of the posse you will learn heaps while having the biggest laughs .

jazza_wil

Likes Dirt
I stumbled across this thread for a quick read, now 15min and 10 pages later I feel no smarter.
no star nut = no preload = sloppy headset and gaps...
wait, did I already know that, or just learn that???

moorey

call me Mia
I stumbled across this thread for a quick read, now 15min and 10 pages later I feel no smarter.
I pray to Jebus you knew it....or don't try home maintenance

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Haha, I'm sorry you had to spend 15 minutes of your life reading about my defective headset installation:)

safreek

It`s a nice place where everyone is a decent human , the skies always blue , it`s 25 degrees all year round , the surfs always awesome and there are endless miles of legal trails throughout the kingdom .
Sign me up, sounds great. Unfortunately I am not a decent hooman bean. Fook me, discrimination or what