Hope M4 brakes set???

Goose

Likes Bikes
Hope M4 brake set. front and rear. 8inch front, 6 inch rear, comes with rotors and spare un-opened brake pads $550 ono. Is this a good buy or not? :?:

And what disc brakes do you run on ya XC bike. :?:

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds a good deal to me :D are they the new M4's (mono) or the old ones (two piece calipers)? I hear the old Mini's used to squeal abit, apparently the new Mini Mono's ones are better...In fact I want to get a set for Project X 8) Not sure if the old M4's squeal, but they have awsome stopping from what I hear.

As for what I use on the bike. Avid Mech's, As I said I am hoping to get a set of new Mini's for the new bike :D

smooth

Likes Dirt
iv had some 03 m4's for bout 4 months and no real consistant squeal best brakes ever, if you have tried hayes hydro ,times it by 5 and thats the m4. $550 is a sweet price brand spanker they cost $600 each .

( i guess yuor buying the 2nd hand pair off here? )

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
the m4s are better than the new mono m4s (ask squid), and i just got some and they are damn fine... they ain't bedded in and they still shit on my hayes

you are gonna use 4 pots on your XC bike! thats preety dumb but hell yes thats a good deal! per end is just a bit cheaper than that

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Psycodh said:
you are gonna use 4 pots on your XC bike! thats preety dumb but hell yes thats a good deal! per end is just a bit cheaper than that
Why is this dumb Psycodh? More pistons can mean more modulation. Just cuz it's a 4pot, doesn't mean it's going to be super powerful. You can always run these brakes with a 165mm rotor up front, and a 145mm on the rear. Some People are bigger than others, or simply ride more aggresively.
Take this for example: Why do people run forks like RockShox Dukes, Manitou Skarebs, Marzocchi Marathon's, and Foxs Forx... when you can run a SID fork cuz it's lighter :roll:
Some products are good for some, but not for all. Don't tell someone they're making a dumb decision before analysing the situation!

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Psycodh said:
How is it dumb?? :?

Plenty of ppl have run XT's on XC bikes before, its not like its illigal to run them, i know when i eventually get a XC bike ill be running good brakes on it, be them DH ones or not, at least ill have precision controll over my ride.

Anyways i have m4's on my dh bike and love them, thers nothin better, if they are the new mono's sweet, but the older calipers are just as bighty :lol: :lol:

Goose

Likes Bikes
The guy told me he thinks they are 01 or 02 he is not sure.
I am a bit on the chunkey side of things so they will be good for me.

smooth

Likes Dirt
hope m4

just to let you know the earlier hope had a problem with pump up wen the oil gets hot , im not sure wat year this was fixed but just thought i should mention it in case.

but you dont need that much power do ya? i no rotors n al that change stopping power n all but yeah 8 inch youd think it was a dh :D but imjust saying m4's on xc bike would look different cos i neva seen em on one before

Goose

Likes Bikes
I had to let them go anyway cash flow problem. Looking for a set of good hayes in Brisbane, if not new.

Goose

Likes Bikes
I got myself a pair of Hayes Comp Hydro think they are 02 for $230. I have Manitou SX 100 forks. I don't know if the mount is ok for this is it?