Hope m4's

spam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey i'm pretty sure its what i want, anyone know problems?
have your bitch or brag here please

StormFire

Likes Dirt
I love them, simple as that.

I have them on my hardtail with 7 inch rotors, and cant fault them at all, i've also ridden a couple of sets that have been on downhill bikes and they've been exactly the same, to the extent that i actually prefer the feel of the M4's over the M6's, which i've also used downhilling on a couple of occasions.

As a comparison i have hayes mags on my downhill bike, and i'd probably preferably run the M4's for downhill except for the fact for the IS vs Boxxer mount thing, plus they look pretty on my hardtail as is.

But just remember that pretty much all of the braking systems out there, being shimano, avid, hope, hayes and whoever else will do the job just fine, it just comes down to personal preference. And on that note the Avid codes look pretty promising and at a good price, not to mention the number of people that choose to run shimano brakes nodoubtedly reflect their suitability as a viable alternative as well.

Red Rocket

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My M4 was a leaky bitch from factory. Maybe you'll have better luck. Buy from Australia so that warranty is easier, if you do have a problem. Work really well when they are set up properly, but if you get a shitty one like I did, then its not too much fun. Saint = Cheaper, easier, more reliable Hope = really sexy looks, more expensive, and perhpas as reliable as Shimano, if you don't have problems first off. Hope are easy to bleed (like shimano) which is great. Spare parts for Hope aren't all that expensive either.

sclyde2

Likes Dirt
hey i'm pretty sure its what i want, anyone know problems?
have your bitch or brag here please
I've had 4 sets of hope brakes (m4, mono m4, mini, mono mini) and the only problem i had was a sticky piston in one of the minis (the original, silver caliper), which was easily fixed by my LBS.

When you say "M4", do you mean the original M4 (silver caliper), or the newer Mono M4 (black one peice caliper)?

I reckon that the original M4s were the most powerful, and should be plenty enough power to stop you, no matter what you are doing. I could never get rid of the noise though (and heaps of others had the same problem), and it drove me crazy.

The mono m4 is much quieter, are light for 4 piston brakes, and have probably a bit less power than the m4 (185 vs 180mm rotors), but a 180mm rotor up front should be fine - for either a medium/heavy guy who is trail riding, or a light guy for DH. Go the 200mm rotor if you are into DH and aren't light. I use mine for trail riding, am a middleweight (nearly 80kg), and am very happy with a 180mm mono m4 up front. It doesn't have the inital grab/bite of some other brakes - which is good and bad. The good thing is that the power is dailed on in a nice progressive way (is that called modulation?), instead of you getting pitched over the bars by some other older/cheaper brakes. The bad thing is that, now i have some formula oro's which seem to have the best of both worlds - a nice initial grab to them, but then the power dails up progressively from there. With the oros, it seems that I can dail up the power with less lever pressure than the mono m4, even with a smaller front rotor on the oro. That said, even though the mono m4 might need a little more lever pressure to get some power, I am getting plenty enough power from my mono m4s for what kind of riding I do, and quite often find my rear tyre touching down without even knowing it was off the ground in the first place - smooth brakes.

If you prefer grabbier/bitey brakes, which a lot of people do, don't get the hopes. It seems that a lot of people are used to those kind of brakes, and find the hopes lacking when they try them (ie. cause they don't get the same braking power for a given lever pressure, they conclude that hopes aren't powerful).

I hope this helps.

Goobs

Likes Dirt
I've had a pair of m4s ( originals) on my DH / Freeride bike going on 4 years now. I have nothing but praise for them. Takes a bit of fiddling them to get initial setup correct, after that, its nothing but love.

Goobs

spam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've had 4 sets of hope brakes (m4, mono m4, mini, mono mini) and the only problem i had was a sticky piston in one of the minis (the original, silver caliper), which was easily fixed by my LBS.

When you say "M4", do you mean the original M4 (silver caliper), or the newer Mono M4 (black one peice caliper)?

I reckon that the original M4s were the most powerful, and should be plenty enough power to stop you, no matter what you are doing. I could never get rid of the noise though (and heaps of others had the same problem), and it drove me crazy.

The mono m4 is much quieter, are light for 4 piston brakes, and have probably a bit less power than the m4 (185 vs 180mm rotors), but a 180mm rotor up front should be fine - for either a medium/heavy guy who is trail riding, or a light guy for DH. Go the 200mm rotor if you are into DH and aren't light. I use mine for trail riding, am a middleweight (nearly 80kg), and am very happy with a 180mm mono m4 up front. It doesn't have the inital grab/bite of some other brakes - which is good and bad. The good thing is that the power is dailed on in a nice progressive way (is that called modulation?), instead of you getting pitched over the bars by some other older/cheaper brakes. The bad thing is that, now i have some formula oro's which seem to have the best of both worlds - a nice initial grab to them, but then the power dails up progressively from there. With the oros, it seems that I can dail up the power with less lever pressure than the mono m4, even with a smaller front rotor on the oro. That said, even though the mono m4 might need a little more lever pressure to get some power, I am getting plenty enough power from my mono m4s for what kind of riding I do, and quite often find my rear tyre touching down without even knowing it was off the ground in the first place - smooth brakes.

If you prefer grabbier/bitey brakes, which a lot of people do, don't get the hopes. It seems that a lot of people are used to those kind of brakes, and find the hopes lacking when they try them (ie. cause they don't get the same braking power for a given lever pressure, they conclude that hopes aren't powerful).

I hope this helps.
yeh i cant use my juicies any longer they just grab to hard, and yes that progressive feel is modulating(i think anyway)
plus power wont be a problem i aim not too stop plus i weigh about a kilogram