Hope mono 6 (seriously WTF??)

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
Ok, so I've found that you can get a six, yes I said six, bloody piston brake set. Now surely these things must be absolutely off the damn wall in terms of stopping power, but I'm unsure, I'd never even heard of them until I went onto the Hope website.

I've heard good things about Hope, and knew they did a four piston brake system, but seriously, 6 pistons, this is going to keep me awake tonight...

So what I'm asking basically; has anyone used these, they're called the Mono6 http://www.hopegb.com/voir_MM6R.html or has anyone used the Mono4's or any Hope branded brakes for that matter? If so, how do they compare in feel and modulation to that of Codes or Strokers?

Being a boutique brand and having the hand crafted quality about them, obviously the price and workmanship should be higher..but I'm still unsure. So tell me guys, what do you think?

cvbass

Likes Dirt
A mate has the Hope moto V6's, they are insane for stopping power!
I'm definately keen to get a set

cj.

Likes Dirt
^^^^ completely pointless, when are you ever going to need THAT much stopping power:eek:

mountain_bike man

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fark, they look like theve got some seriouse power...but then agian the new saints say that there 50% more powerful than the old ones so...they sound realy good aswell.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have hope moto v2's and i love them, codes feel like shit imo feel exactly the same as a juicy

i had saints, they were pretty good but dont compare to these hopes,i rode my mates moto m6 brake and thats what made me get the v2's nothing compares brake wise

mtb_champ

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have hope moto v2's and i love them, codes feel like shit imo feel exactly the same as a juicy

i had saints, they were pretty good but dont compare to these hopes,i rode my mates moto m6 brake and thats what made me get the v2's nothing compares brake wise
hard to setup? or good anyway? I have always liked the look of them but never used them so never have really bought them.... I lkike my juicy 3's but thats probably because I haven't rode anything with better brakes!

Jimass

Eats Squid
What the hell kind of forks can mount brakes BOTH sides, and seriously when are YOU going to need THAT much stopping power?

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
easiest brakes ive ever setup, you get them close enough and pull the lever a bit and the pistons sort themselves out

S.

ex offender
The number of pistons doesn't mean a thing about outright power. Usually it does make some indication as to pad size though, and as a somewhat indirect result, the amount of heat dissipation and fade resistance the brake may have.

However, having actually ridden those Mono 6's... I'd really be spending my money elsewhere. There wasn't much to like about them IMO, the power isn't fantastic, the lever design is wack as, the lever feel is pretty ratty, and they're not actually hard to overheat - once they're overheated the brakes are pretty shit until you replace the pads.

Fantastic if you feel like dropping some weight though, as long as you don't mind it coming from your wallet rather than your bike.

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
The number of pistons doesn't mean a thing about outright power.

However, having actually ridden those Mono 6's... I'd really be spending my money elsewhere.
yeh i agree the mono series was nothing special but the motos are alot nicer
Interesting, I never really looked into brakes too much before, just the mainstream varieties as I was under the veil of "easy to get, easy to replace". Thus the knowledge of anything other than 4 piston Codes was lacking. I'm in the process of a full custom rig and wanted something that stood out but still stops you, the moto's look bomb, but I figured that 4 extra pistons would do some good too. Guess not.

Those gators look gnarly, but how easy are they to get parts and pads for? The dual 8 set-up is bullshit, that'd probably be more dangerous than useful.

Those gators look gnarly, but how easy are they to get parts and pads for? The dual 8 set-up is bullshit, that'd probably be more dangerous than useful.
Get in contact with Cycle Solutions re Gatorbrakes. PM Beno- he's THE man at CS and very approachable for any queries you might have. Shouldn't have any issues at all in terms of getting parts and pads. They've got a wad of trick bits to create a custom ride.

ando_freeagent

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i run them on my downhill bike (hope 6 pot mono ti's)

they brake nicely and the matching rotors look sick and work pretty good

probably not worth the money though bit of a wank but it came with the bike i bought

Matt H

Eats Squid
+one on what wellsey said. There is no greater wank or bling factor then brembos.

...and they work good too!