horizontal drop-outs!!!

bilbo bagins

Likes Bikes
i have just bought a new frame that have 12mm horizontal drop outs and im about to buy a new wheel set off a friend and the back axle is 14mm is there anything i can do besides fileing down my drop outs and buying a new frame(dont really want to do that).......help much appreciated :D
cheers guys:)

WHAT ABOUT IF I DRILLED THE 2MM OUT OF THE TOP DROPOUT WOULD THAT DO ANYTHING AND WHATS THE EASIEST AND SAFEST WAY OF DOING SO?

Last edited:

Dan

Likes Dirt
Yeah you really dont want to file out those dropouts......

Just buy a wheelset that fits.

Dan

Likes Dirt
True... 1mm each side doesnt seem much.

But I wouldnt do it still. Its messing with the bikes structural integrity.

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
We've machined out many dropouts to allow for larger diameter axles. No problem at all.... so long as the dropout has enough material to allow for it (and I haven't yet seen one that doesn't).... and so long as you do it accurately.

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We've machined out many dropouts to allow for larger diameter axles. No problem at all.... so long as the dropout has enough material to allow for it (and I haven't yet seen one that doesn't).... and so long as you do it accurately.
Well then, it's settled.

When it comes to frames, what Grip says is gospel.

Grip

Yes you can use a file... people have been making, finishing and "adjusting" the shape and size of metal bits with files for a very long time. It's called making something "by hand" :).

But you better be pretty good, because if you stuff up there's no going back (well... not easily at least).

We would probably do an initial cut with a milling machine and then finish by hand (files) for the best possible fit and finish.

Grip

What exactly are you wanting to be told? Where to use a milling machine? Well you either need to own one or pay someone who does to do the work. To be honest though I doubt you'll find an engineering shop willing to do it because a bike frame is probably the hardest damn thing in the world to mount securely and accurately on the bed of a mill. In fact 90% of the time is taken up by the setting up before you even start machining.

bilbo bagins

Likes Bikes
forget about that then aye ill just hack at it with a bastard file aye ive been fileing at tafe for 6 months now and pritty good

-|Sean|-

Likes Dirt
Why not just send it off to Grip - who has a milling machine, and who specializes in bike frame alteration/repair? :)

Last edited: