Horizontal dropout problem

shore_2

Likes Dirt
I just purchased a NS street legal, the frame feels awsome. I am having problems with the horizontal dropouts though. Whenever i brake it pulls the disk side of the dropouts back, making the wheel run at an angle. I have done the side locknuts up and it still slips back, it is only a problem from braking. Anyone had similar problems or any solutions???

Spoolin

Likes Dirt
The frame should have come with locking tensioners to ensure this cant happen... make sure you use them! they work with bolt up or Q/R hubs as in the pic below...

Another thing to check is to make sure your hub is sitting against the frame and not the tensioners. Some skinny hubs have small lock nuts on the axle that only grip the tensioner. If thats the case just fit some oversize lock nuts on your axle and your problem will be solved!

Last edited:

shore_2

Likes Dirt
Spoolin said:
...Another thing to check is to make sure your hub is sitting against the frame and not the tensioners. Some skinny hubs have small lock nuts on the axle that only grip the tensioner. If thats the case just fit some oversize lock nuts on your axle and your problem will be solved!
It looks like this is the problem, cos the dropouts can tan take 14mm axle the little 10mm axle nuts are only on the tensioner. Does anyone know where i can get larger nuts for the rear hub? It's a pretty cheapo one off an STP.

MUGEN

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheapo one of an stp? The m475's on the stps come in QR form, so there IS no nut. Unless you've changed the axle to a nutted one.
As for where you can get larger ones, ask the bike shop for axel specific nuts where they have a bearing type washer at the back of it.

Trialsguy

Rhythm Imports
its the lock nut... there is usually a 17mm lock nut on the end of the hub, the nut that locks the cone into place on open bearing hubs, whether its Q/R or a solid axle If its 17mm or bigger you shouldnt have any probs, but sometimes they are only 15mm which could still cause issues on a 14mm drop out.

Ben.

shore_2

Likes Dirt
Mine must be the 15mm one cos it doesn't grip the sides of the frame at all just the tensioners, i'll go to the bike shop and try get a new bigger retainer nut tomorrow. Just to hold me over till i get some 24'' wheels.