NSW Hornsby Trails going ahead *Press Release*

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Originally taken from: http://www.hornsby.nsw.gov.au/about...e-to-fund-new-mountain-bike-trails-in-hornsby

Rate increase to fund new mountain bike trails in Hornsby

Friday 24 June, 2011

Hornsby Shire Council will move forward with its plans to build a network of mountain bike trails in Old Mans Valley in Hornsby after the Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal of NSW approved Council’s application for a rate increase.

“Providing new sports and recreation facilities is an important way that Council can contribute to the physical and mental wellbeing of the community,” said the Mayor Nick Berman.

Over the last few months, Council staff have been finalising plans to provide a six kilometre network of mountain bike trails at Upper Old Mans Valley in Hornsby.

It’s anticipated that the project, which will cost about $ 250,000, will largely be funded through the rates increase with additional funding from grants and Council’s general funds. Offers of assistance or sponsorship from volunteers, schools, bike clubs and others have been made.

In recent weeks, trail consultants have surveyed the site to design and map out the proposed trails, avoiding environmentally sensitive areas. It’s anticipated a report and detailed designs for the project will be considered at Council’s Ordinary meeting in July.

“We are planning a range of tracks to meet needs of different user groups, from families with children who are mountain biking for the first time through to experienced riders,” said Council’s Coordinator of Bushland Management Operations, Anthony Newling.

The project has received strong support from the Hornsby Shire Mountain Bike Alliance.

“The cycling community are bursting with enthusiasm at this news and would like to acknowledge the work Hornsby Council has put into this project,” said Campbell King from the Hornsby Shire Mountain Bike Alliance.

“In 2008 Council formally identified the need to manage and provide for mountain biking and now after showing patience, persistence and respect for all stakeholders, Council are on the verge of delivering a great asset for our future and the evolving recreational needs of our community.”

“The lack of facilities has been an impediment to those wanting to take up cycling. We are particularly excited about this project because it makes cycling so much more accessible to the general public,” said Campbell.

The tracks will be a short ride from public transport and medium-density residential areas, making them easily accessible for the wider community, including residents who don’t own or have access to a car.

“We believe that the new mountain bike trails will be a great asset to the community and will also provide a welcome boost to businesses on the westside of Hornsby,” said the Mayor.

nrthrnben

Likes Dirt
Nice Work!

Look forward to lending a hand when the need arrises.

Great news for NSW Mountain Biking!

We need to make sure there is enough "technically descending" AM trail with A,B,C lines to step things up from Manly Dam.

justabuzz

Likes Bikes
Great! I am from around, sounds good! Would be nice to ride all the way to the trail! :)

One question - I didn't grow up in this area and I have no idea where Old Mans Valley is..

Can anyone send a link to a map that shows it?

Thanks!

Old mans Valley is behind the swimming pool in Hornsby Check out the Sydney off roads cyclists ( snorc) page on face book or HSMBA website.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Brilliant!!!!

In the future, get the council to have a look at the Mt Joyce (Wyaralong Dam Qld) project. Make sure the funding for MTB is fully established and then plant the seed for more funding to add walking trails etc. The way I see it, we need everyone who feels locked-out of terrain to eventually feel good that we all can get in there.

Made more sooky - I like seeing people out walking in the bush and saying hi, and I hope walkers who get to see bikes going at it and are not spooked by it happening on their trails, will want to try riding one day. In the end we all get to share OUR country with government support, rather than opposition.

Having said that; screw the rest of em, great work. Vive le MTB.

JASKE2

Likes Bikes
can you please consider putting in a downhill free ride trail as well as the other trails. it would be great to have more downhill trails closer to the CBD

cheers

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just saw this pop up on the front page - great news!

Any timetable for construction starting or being ready to ride?

I am so impressed at all involved including the council to achieve this outcome. Fantastic work everyone!

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good work! I read about this in the Hornsby Advocate when I was up at my oldies last week!

Yeah good call about the greenies...they tend to vanish into thin air when there is some sort of work involved!

nrthrnben

Likes Dirt
DH for North Sydney

+ 1 The more the merrier! :)
FR = Oxy

DH = Warrimoo

Im sure designated DH trails are in the plans for the future, these trails are just the first stage.

True, no MTB park or network is complete, unless there is sustainable DH included.

If your dead keen on getting more DH asap, contact SNORC and get ask how you can help.

Nmag

Likes Dirt
Join HSMBA for advocacy in the area, and/or SNORC to get involved with the building, maintenance, and social rides/events. The trails could have some downhill elements but the OMV site is not very suitable. Check out Crosslands reserve. That would make a decent DH trail location, it's got more drop and a road from the bottom to the top.

Nmag

Likes Dirt
See the road (loosely sealed) start from the top of the ridge at the end of Somerville Road, Hornsby Heights and heads down to the north, turns left and continues down to a parkland called Crosslands Reserve?

There is a big recreation park down the bottom near the water. It's Berrowra Valley Regional Park (and a bit of council land too).

You could read the master plans for the reserve at the bottom of this page. Maybe it talks about recreation? MTB is listed as 2nd highest in demand in a paper Councillors were waving around last council meeting. Maybe mention to them that OMV won't have much DH, so can the locals have some there?

Last edited: