Horses

Wombatone

Likes Dirt
horse a big and skittish and can kick you in the head, I'd be pulling over, stopping and letting them pass with plenty of room.
Agree - Bike against horse you loose , don't risk it ,get off the bike and let the horses go past and everyone will have a good day.

Anthony B

Likes Dirt
I've been kicked by a horse before its about as fun as being hit by a heavy weight boxer, lucky this was an old ass grumpy horse & it was a get out of my paddock kick when I was trying to drop off her feed.

Took this off the Stromlo site,

-Equestrians have the right of way over other users on all trails. This is an international standard. Walkers have next priority and then cyclists.

- Cyclists should yield to horses by stopping and asking permission of the horse rider to pass.

- Cyclists must allow horse riders time to position their horses for safety.

- Cyclists should not ring bells as they may startle a horse - voice contact is preferable. A frightened horse is a danger to you, the horse rider and other park users.

- It is advisable not to pass within a meter of a horse as they may kick if startled and have considerable reach.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
The first round of the Australian Gravity Enduro is to be held at Glenworth Valley in NSW which is a haven for the beasts and the horses they own.

Australian Gravity Enduro Series 2014 said:
Where the track is interferes with the horse riding they have on the property so it needs to be managed by the owners. Horses apparently get scared by hub-noises...
not true, they only get scared of people with rakes...............raking.......
Please ALWAYS give horses right of way when we are there.

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Personally, I typically find that the horse rider is way more skittish than the horse itself. And the horse is also usually much prettier...and quite often more aware of its surroundings than the human on its back.

We tend to have a shout to make the horse aware that there are humans coming up behind then another shout to make the human aware that we've had the sense to tell the horse that we are there. This tends to surprise the human which (in turn) surprises the horse because they are in intimate contact with a startled human and it makes them skittish. So despite trying to do the right thing, the horse and its human are now skittish, the human is also grumpy and the horse is blithering into the scrub and we ride on by wondering why a) anyone would want to ride a horse if it just makes you agro, broke and looking only half as good as a horse and b) the horse is silly enough to put up with it.

Easily spooked horses are poorly trained horses...that's not the horses fault - it's because of the monkey on its back. There's few local riders who complain about the kangaroos because they jump across the race track and 'frighten' the horse...ever heard of training & familiarisation, oh horse riding monkey?

Frankly, a horse is usually much improved by not having a human on its back.

Last edited:

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Agree - Bike against horse you loose , don't risk it ,get off the bike and let the horses go past and everyone will have a good day.
Actually, I can gaurantee I'll win. A horse wont trample you down, it'll go around you everytime if it can. The only reason why a horse gets spooked is because it hasn't seen what spooks it, this can be a car, truck, bike, rabbit or farkin anything. If you're out on the trails and come across some horse riders, slow down to a walking pace, say hello and ask them what they want you to do. A sane rider wil turn their horse towards you so it can see you and after that you should be able to ride off. (at any pace really)
Common sense prevails. Horse chicks arnt hot...they all have fat asses (Mrs Grippers is exempt from this comment:party:). Horses stink and I hate them. Over protective mothers with daughters that ride horses have no place on gods earth!:thumb:

Edit: You only need to be afraid of a horse with a red ribbon tied around it's tail...that means it kicks.

Last edited:

Slowman

Likes Dirt
I've been kicked by a horse before its about as fun as being hit by a heavy weight boxer, lucky this was an old ass grumpy horse & it was a get out of my paddock kick when I was trying to drop off her feed.

Took this off the Stromlo site,

-Equestrians have the right of way over other users on all trails. This is an international standard. Walkers have next priority and then cyclists.

- Cyclists should yield to horses by stopping and asking permission of the horse rider to pass.

- Cyclists must allow horse riders time to position their horses for safety.

- Cyclists should not ring bells as they may startle a horse - voice contact is preferable. A frightened horse is a danger to you, the horse rider and other park users.

- It is advisable not to pass within a meter of a horse as they may kick if startled and have considerable reach.
Having worked in California for a bit on the odd occasion I've ridden there a bit and on "multi-use" trails that is the order of priority. One of the places I rode fairly often, Wilders Ranch, horses were on the trails quite often, and in large numbers at times. I never saw one horse get frightened or scared, though in large numbers of both, we'd ask the horseriders if it was OK to pass them. On a couple of occasions we got off the trail and let them pass us. Sometimes on the single tracks if we were coming up behind we'd either go back or let them get on ahead until they got back onto fire road.

Easily spooked horses are poorly trained horses...that's not the horses fault - it's because of the monkey on its back. There's few local riders who complain about the kangaroos because they jump across the race track and 'frighten' the horse...ever heard of training & familiarisation, oh horse riding monkey?

Yes poorly trained horses and poorly trained riders. Quite a few of the MTBers in California are also horse riders, one woman had her own "horse rescue" farm/hospital and so there was good knowledge within our group but the big difference is horse riding is SO much more common in California than here in Sydney, so the level of horsemanship is much superior. Often these people ride their horses every day and have them living on their own land or walking distance unlike the phenomenon in Sydney where the horse may be agisted some distance away from the suburbs in some semi-rural outskirt of Sydney and it is a weekend or occasional pursuit. No wonder they're shit riders!

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Our dh track comes down into a pony club. We have simple rules.
1 don't ride if they have an event on.
2 if you do come down an see horse just get off and walk past their area
3 if the horse is looking skittish stop and ask they ride what they want you to do

Works well and even when we has a mutual fark up that saw us having a clubbie the same day as their big junior weekend the system worked well with just a little common respect

Giantrider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I live near the cascades and saw probably the same lady walking two of the horses down the middle of the road near the opening of the track on Douglas st at about 4pmish. It was quite busy and she really shouldn't have been walking two of them down a main road... Next time i'll tell her off ;)

Anthony B

Likes Dirt
Define "on"?
There is some horse girls who should not wear them, they are the same category of girls who shouldn't wear tights.

But then there is the other girls who make you want to take them off,

So I guess in both cases jodhpurs should be removed lol

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
There is some horse girls who should not wear them, they are the same category of girls who shouldn't wear tights.

But then there is the other girls who make you want to take them off,

So I guess in both cases jodhpurs should be removed lol
Do you consider around the ankles to be on or removed?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I reckon you'll get kicked if you try!
I'm pretty sure it is illegal as well. I can see hoe the arrest would play out. Crippled poodle laying in field, angry horse, disgusted cops and onlookers....

I've eaten horse sushimi a few times. Damn fine stuff! Definately the best thing about horses.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Gargh, do the horses down there shit all over the trail as well?

There's a cycleway here I sometimes go for a ride on with the better half, and every second time on it the path is a fucking minefield. Dog owners are expected to clean up after themselves, and whilst horse shit isn't as bad, I still don't really wanted it splattered all over me; what makes horse riders think it's cool to ride on a bike path and leave metric tonnes of shit everywhere?

I'm pretty damn close to finding where they live, woofing down a nasty curry, and leaving some bombs of my own all up their driveway.

shane0

Likes Bikes
Gargh, do the horses down there shit all over the trail as well?
On the way back out the trail was littered in Shit every 10 meters. And they Shit perfectly in the centre of the best lines. They should teach the horse to kick it's Shit off the track.

They need this.

Sent from Google Glass

Last edited: