how anoying are council's!!! i hate them!

trobb

Likes Dirt
hey yea where i live me and fastrider gus and all other bike locals have been builden shit down at the river, we had a sweeeet 22ft road gap, about 10 jumps, 1 masive 40 footer stepdown table top like the one at granton and some northshore, today i went there and its all been taken or pulled down with big tyer marks everywhere.

gees i hate councils

S.

ex offender
They're only protecting their own interests... I hate THAT it happens, but you can't blame the councils.... they don't want or need multi-million dollar lawsuits on their hands (not that you would, but some little kid might get a boo boo and his parents decide to sue).

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you are much better off approaching the council for an area where you can build jumps. Takes a while for them to oranganise stuff usually but, it generally gets done with enough support from the local community.

S.

ex offender
Turley said:
you are much better off approaching the council for an area where you can build jumps. Takes a while for them to oranganise stuff usually but, it generally gets done with enough support from the local community.
"Excuse me sir, would it be ok if we build a 60ft road gap over the Geelong freeway?"

"Should be ok, just put a sign up so little kids don't try it"

Ty

Eats Squid
maybe your councils are different but in SEQLD if you put in a reasonable request you have a fair chance of getting something done, there are heaps of council funded jumps around brisbane.

perfor8r

Likes Dirt
Socket, he does have a point. :)

For years all I did was ride and help build trails, most of them illegal.
didn't think nothing of it.
But recently i've got involved with a friend of mine who has opened a new shop in the area and we've had many discussions on how we're going to approach trailbuilding.
The only way to go about it (without banging our heads against the wall!) was to do things right, build up numbers and approach council as to what can be accessible or not.
You've got start by approaching one councillor and getting him/her on side, showing that WE WILL maintain the tracks/jumps and we are environmentally sensible.
This created a working realtionship, we show them we are serious and will not go away and they show faith in return.

I know this whole thing of losing stunts and jumps is a bitch, but we as a MTB collective have to work that this properly or we're gonna keep losing trails.
With that being said, Gillian Duncan is doing some seriously kickass campaigning for MTB'ing in the Brisbane area and that will soon all pay off, same goes with the MTB Park. Council seems to really like that idea.

I realize this whole issue is a can of worms but we someohow have to move past the screaming back at Council and start being proactive. :)

S.

ex offender
Ty said:
maybe your councils are different but in SEQLD if you put in a reasonable request you have a fair chance of getting something done, there are heaps of council funded jumps around brisbane.
There are a few CFJ's down here, but most are completely sub-par and/or making your own jumps is not allowed (ie they doze any jumps other people make). As far as "dangerous" stunts go, no chance...

Ty

Eats Squid
our councils let the riders build the jumps, they have some limits to size and distance (no lip higher than 1.8m and all jumps must be rollable) but they all pretty good, the council even comes and cuts the grass once a months.

*brissy council supporting the dirt jumpers

Ty

Eats Squid
would you believe that the coucil gave us all this dirt too (this take off was pushing the 1.8 meter rule)

i take for granted how lucky we are here.

S.

ex offender
Whoa... the only dirt they gave us was scraped up topsoil (as in the top 3" of dirt, grass and rocks included) that they scraped from the jump site itself.

You guys have got an uber-awesome council!

CHEWY

Eats Squid
trobb said:
hey yea where i live me and fastrider gus and all other bike locals have been builden shit down at the river, we had a sweeeet 22ft road gap, about 10 jumps, 1 masive 40 footer stepdown table top like the one at granton and some northshore, today i went there and its all been taken or pulled down with big tyer marks everywhere.

gees i hate councils
holy shit that sucks.. gonna start rebuilding soon rob??