how do i get rounded bolts out

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey i rounded my bolts...how do i get my bolts without paying for like bolt extracting devices
are they round on the end or are they countersunk?

if they aren't countersunk just get a hacksaw and saw a line in the bolt so you can use a flat head screwdriver.

smee

Squid
Which bolts did you round is the first question.

Are they normal, or hex head bolts.

If they are easily accessible, then a slot cut in the top, or a set of vice grips may solve the problem.

If they are counter sunk, then its an extraction device you will need, or get a pro in to do it. Look in auto or engineering services for the numbers.

takai

Eats Squid
If the bolt is holding a component to a fixing, such as a brake adaptor to the frame, then another possibility is drilling the head off the bolt to remove the component and then extracting the bolt using what is left of the body.

For that just use appropriately sized drill bits and work your way up, making sure not to go too deep as to demolish the thread.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Or depending where they are, drill the head off, remove the part they held on, then remove remaining stud with vice grips.

jimmy-dh

Likes Dirt
get a chisel and a hammer and on the bolts head chisel like a groove in the side on an angle and when u tilt the chisel and hit the hammer downwards the bolt should eaily come out haha i had to do this for one of my rotor bolts

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I could be totally off the mark with this one but it has always been a little queery in the back of my mind...
Could you tack weld on a piece of metal etc (Appropriately - given the material which the bolt is made of) and then use it like a spanner and just screw out?
Its a possibility right?

There are a number of things that you can do. Hacksaw a line through the middle of the bolt and use a flathead screwdriver (already suggested), cut two sides off the bolt and use a spanner to unwind the bolt like a nut, or you could try an easy out. Although every time I try this the easy out snaps off in the rounded out hole.

Macca8530

Likes Dirt
that happened on the derailler mount on my old frame
my lbs just welded a allenkey into the bolt and took it off like that

stu.111

Likes Bikes
Try a punch (NOT a pin punch) and hammer. Place the punch on the edge of the bolt head, wether counter sunk or not, and give it a good whack with the hammer. May have to do this more then once. When you get a good divot in the bolt head just angle the punch over and bash in the undo direction(anti-clockwise). After the initial "seal" is broken with a couple of good whacks, you just have to keep lightly tapping to undo it. IF you can follow this it will undo almost any stuffed bolt, trust me ive done it heaps

aceblueheeler1992

Likes Dirt
Let me guess, you tryed to use an allan key to take your disks off?
no i am not an idiot.. just by looking at the bolt you can tel its a star..lucky i have some star tools. but the guy who gave me free bolts and tried to take them of used an allen key and rounded the bolts. so yea its for them.

how would you take out crank bolts since you can't cut he sides off and use a spanner. since the bolts are flush with the crank?

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I could be totally off the mark with this one but it has always been a little queery in the back of my mind...
Could you tack weld on a piece of metal etc (Appropriately - given the material which the bolt is made of) and then use it like a spanner and just screw out?
Its a possibility right?
such alot of effort for such a little gain, and depending on the bolt size you risk a chance of welding the bolt to what its holding on, and tack welds arnt all that strong anyway so theres a possibility of it breaking before you get it out

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I drill the heads off disk bolts if the hacksaw or punch trick is too hard.
If it's the lsat bolt, you can lift bthe disk as you try to unscrew it to get friction, then ................. oh just cut a slot,if you stuff that, center punch, if you fail that, try filing flat side on them and using a shifter, if you stuff that just drill the head off, then unscrew with pliers, hope they're not locktighted not that it'll matter.

brutasauras

Likes Dirt
just go and by a small easy out and the correct drill bit for it.
cost about ten bucks and fuck i hate them torx bolts they put on the rotor there is always one, 6 newton metres my ass.:mad:

stu.111

Likes Bikes
Punch trick works on the rotor star nuts, i did to a mates bike about 3months ago. It was one of the more easier stuffed bolt jobs ive done because you can get at them easily.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Its a possibility right?
I had to tack an 8mm allen key into a crank bolt once, then lean on the bastard with a dirty great big pipe. Biggest pain in the arse.