How do I prepare a bike for sale

Slowpoke

Likes Dirt
Not sure if this is the right place to put this question. This is not an ad.

I want to sell my dually and dont want to throw too much money at it, but clearly want to put a good bike forward. It was a great bike for me and I want someone else to love it. I think I would be lucky to get about $800 (but of course would like more).

I have always tinkered around the edges, but am no mechanic (I had it regularly serviced at the LBS). I am trying to avoid another full service.

There is no question, it needs a new drive train, but I think that is for the next person.

Apart from giving it a good clean, what should I prioritise?

Tyler!

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Id say try to repack as many of the bearings you can, such as wheels, headset, bb...

degrease then re lube the chain

Many put some new oil in the forks, if they arn't running to well...

tighten spokes...

thats all i can think of, pretty simple stuff, if you know what your doing;)

gasman

Likes Dirt
simple

clean it very well, inspect it closely for any potential cracks, service it as best you can and most importantly don't bullshit in the for sale ad.
good luck
GASMAN

DJman

Likes Dirt
cover the craks with bandaids and tell the buyer that they wont have a problem, and point out that bandaids aree the next best thing do duct tape

c0de

Likes Bikes
Not sure if this is the right place to put this question. This is not an ad.

I want to sell my dually and dont want to throw too much money at it, but clearly want to put a good bike forward. It was a great bike for me and I want someone else to love it. I think I would be lucky to get about $800 (but of course would like more).

I have always tinkered around the edges, but am no mechanic (I had it regularly serviced at the LBS). I am trying to avoid another full service.

There is no question, it needs a new drive train, but I think that is for the next person.

Apart from giving it a good clean, what should I prioritise?

What sort of bike is it - might be interested in getting a new dually since i have a hard tail at the moment. I'm already looking at buying new drive train for my HT, so it could be an option for me if the frame, shocks & suspension etc are decent

Steepy

Likes Dirt
I agree that you should give it a good clean and make it look like it has been generally well maintained but I don't think it's a good idea to take any photos of the bike while it is wet as it makes the bike look like it has just been hosed and hosing is baaaad.