How do you choose a new bike?

Zam

Likes Dirt
Hey Guys

I am starting to think about getting a new bike but it is a tough decision, how do you go about choosing a new bike?

Currently I have a Kona Hardtail which is VERY light but frame is about 6yo, bas all the goodies, Hayes 9 Carbon brakes, Reba World Cup forks, Mavic Crossmax wheel set etc etc.

I was thinking about another hardtail as i like the feel and weight of them, but looking around i think the duallies have come down in weight quite a bit so thinking of going this way.

Budget is about $1500 and i would prefer to get a higher end well looked after second hand bike then something brand new, so was thinking about Giant Anthem or Trance, Scott Genius 50 etc etc

But without riding them for a bit on the trails how do you pick a bike which is right for you? yeah you test ride a bike in a carpark or whatever but you dont really get the feel for it is is suits.

I am mainly going to be riding Lysterfield and being 6'1" and about 98kg would like something quite stiff wihout too much travel in the rear end.

advise or how you go about choosing a new bike appreciated.

Cheers

Oh and i hope i have made sense in what i am asking......

Ackland

chats d'élevage
at 6'1"....... Try a 29er HT as your first port of call.....

Then a 29er Dually......

I'm only 5'10" and went from a 120mm 26" dually to a Full Rigid 29er and the ride is comparable to my old 26" 100mm Hardtail

gbear

Likes Bikes
I'd look at an anthem 29er if I was you.

I had ( up until yesterday ) an X1 2012 Anthem 29er, and it suited me very nicely, as a new rider that hasnt ridden for 10 years.

I've since sold it, and moved back to a 26er just because it suits my style more, as i grew up on BMX and spent 10 years on 26ers, just like that little bit extra agility in corners.

Im 6FT2" 105KG - and found the Large size Anthem great, and given the price now you could easily get a second hand 2012 model for 1500 easy.

good luck

Zam

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys, i was thinking of a 29er but then was told about the loss of agility, and a mate who recently got a 29 HT said he is thinking about sell it and getting a 26er for the agility as well.

So for now i think will stick to a 26er as i like the agilty i have with my HT, in saying this i may take my mates 29er for a spin just to see what it is like before 100% making a decision.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I cant weigh in on the 26 vs 29er debate as I am not a xc rider myself. Though I should be for dh fitness.
As for picking a bike I think it is good to find out a range or type of bike that suits riders of your height weight etc eg 26 vs 29. 100mm vs 140mm etc
Once you find the type of bike or a smaller range of bike types start looking at specific bike frames you would like do this by looking at geo etc and reading reviews, once narrowed down to 3ish bikes check out what the 2nd hand market offers and then start the process of buying second hand and all the items of the 2nd hand buy check list.
Good thread on here that was just started here about buying second hand.
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?241874-Purchasing-a-second-hand-MTB&highlight=buying

gbear

Likes Bikes
Thanks guys, i was thinking of a 29er but then was told about the loss of agility, and a mate who recently got a 29 HT said he is thinking about sell it and getting a 26er for the agility as well.

So for now i think will stick to a 26er as i like the agilty i have with my HT, in saying this i may take my mates 29er for a spin just to see what it is like before 100% making a decision.
Everyone will have an opinion, so the best advise i can give you is to simply ride as many bikes as you can, demo days, mates etc. The right bike will feel right and you will know it pretty much straight away, regardless of the size of the wheels.

Even though im back in the 26 stable, I am definately going to get a 29er again when i go to the states this year for the longer enduros etc. but for short quick stabs after work ill stay with the 26er.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I try and buy a bike that does something different to my current ride, but copies the best things. i reckon you can get most of that info out of reviews. So my first thought is what have you got to gain from a 26er hardtail when you already have one thats working (if its busted thats a whole different story)?

that becomes dually or 29 hardtail? your height suits a 29er so that option still fits. if you like the hardtail feel, you can get a dually with rp23 and easily make it hardtail with a flick of a switch. long events/rides suit duallys, if you dont like to sit and climb/spin then a hardtail suits better. if you bend wheels once a year i'd stick with 26.

really you have to learn about the options and try and figure out what gap you want to fill. given its an xc forum, you have a short race bike already, your thinking is fine atm - towards DS - something a bit more "trail" bike orientated. the anthem is quick the anthem 29 is more half way between the anthem and the trance - the scotts i would consider simply because of their proprietry lockout system which seems like a brilliant idea to me - scott, merida and specialized all seem to do demo days, particularly at events - go searching for one of those i reckon.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Everyone will have an opinion, so the best advise i can give you is to simply ride as many bikes as you can, demo days, mates etc. The right bike will feel right and you will know it pretty much straight away, regardless of the size of the wheels.
+1 to the above...

I had a kick ass 26er and initially dismissed the 29er concept based on "oh they are harder to control in the tight stuff, etc". I then gave one a go (Epic 29er) at a demo day in some twisty singletrack and found I no major issues with it's response. Was also blown away by its ability to keep speed. Next day I got a 29er and didn't ride the 26er at all - in the end the 26er was sold as it was surplus to requirements.
The lesson? Don't dismiss a bike until you have ridden it. You can read all the reviews and get all the opinions, but NOTHING beats taking an actual bike for a ride.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The interesting thing most people don't seem to think about when they talk 26 Vs 29 is that 29ers differ from bike to bike too.
There seems to be this generic "I'm a 26 guy or a 29 guy" thinking where if you ride 26 then all 29ers feel the same - they don't!
I normally ride a DW linked 26 and LOVE it. I have ridden 4 different 29ers, and have hated 3 of them. I have ridden a 26 version of all 3 and didn't like them either.
The 4th which I really liked - surprise surprise was a DW link design and it was awesome. If it didn't cost megabucks I'd seriouly look at adding it to the stable.

Moral of the story, the suspension design matters just as much as the wheel size, maybe more - don't just ride 1 29er and decide they all suck.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Trail fix at lysterfield have a fleet of demo bikes (as do most bike shops) you can take out (29ers and 26ers). You should definately look at secondhand (with your price range) and if you are happy on a hardtail currently then you could stick with one (save weight, cost, techniciality, on FS). Lysterfields trails are very smooth and suspension really isnt necessary but will a new bike give you the encouragement to venture to other trail areas (Youies, Castlemaine, Anglesea, Forrest, ACT, Appin, Beachworth, Buller, ect)? If yes - you might perfer a FS.
I aint going to get into the whole 26 vs 29er but will say if you are after a HT then my preference is 29er (I am 6.4 and 100kgs). If you are looking for a FS bike then get the best four inch travel bike you can afford.
Keep an eye on the RB classifieds and go and test ride a few bikes. I believe for your price range you will get more bang for your dollar with a HT - if you can lift it to 2 grand then your options improve considerably
Good luck

Oh is there anything wrong with your current bike - besides a desire to upgrade?

driftking

Wheel size expert
Not been a xc rider I don't dive into this much but whats the go with the 27.5 bikes out there, any reason why this hasn't been suggested as a medium bike or a bike to be tested?

Zam

Likes Dirt
Once againg guys thanks for all the feedback....

Basically there is nothign wrong with my hardtail except it is getting a little old, i do love riding it as it is very light (as ligth or lighter then some carbon bikes i have seen around) and responsive, one reason i was thinking about changing to dual suspension was it seems the trails at lysterfield are getting worse and worse plus a few mates have bikes now so venturing to different playgrounds such as Beechworth, Youies and high country where i go 4x4ing is a real option now. So i am not ruling out a HT compeletly or any bike for that matter just starting to think about what i should be looking at and my options and how other coose their bikes.

Basically i will check out the demo bikes at trailmix next time i am over there and have a chat and will ride a couple of mates bikes, the only issue with this being 6 foot and 98kg i am the heaviest of my mates by a bit so sometimes riding there duallies isnt a true reflection of how the bike is especially with the suspension setup, but i will see.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Once againg guys thanks for all the feedback....

Basically there is nothign wrong with my hardtail except it is getting a little old, i do love riding it as it is very light (as ligth or lighter then some carbon bikes i have seen around) and responsive, one reason i was thinking about changing to dual suspension was it seems the trails at lysterfield are getting worse and worse plus a few mates have bikes now so venturing to different playgrounds such as Beechworth, Youies and high country where i go 4x4ing is a real option now. So i am not ruling out a HT compeletly or any bike for that matter just starting to think about what i should be looking at and my options and how other coose their bikes.

Basically i will check out the demo bikes at trailmix next time i am over there and have a chat and will ride a couple of mates bikes, the only issue with this being 6 foot and 98kg i am the heaviest of my mates by a bit so sometimes riding there duallies isnt a true reflection of how the bike is especially with the suspension setup, but i will see.
Here are a few FS
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?241489-2010-Pivot-Mach-5-Medium-XT-build
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?241255-2011-Trek-Fuel-EX-8-Mint-Condition-1-800
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?240239-2010-GT-Force-2-Large-Cheap!
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...rge-2000-neg-Would-consider-split-Needs-to-go
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Giant-An...ling_Bikes&hash=item2c64b24129#ht_2278wt_1398

keep searching mate there is heaps out there.

Last edited:

Timmy!!!

Likes Dirt
You do not choose the new bike. The new bike chooses you.

Unless your emotions override your sensibilities, it is not the right bike for you.

Zam

Likes Dirt
Thanks mate, I had looked at a couple of those like the giant 29er and Trek, but I also spotted this one http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?241487-Specialized-Enduro-S-Works-Carbon-Large anyone got any opinions on this one?

Only think would be it is more all mountaih and not sure if it would suit the type of riding in currently do, being mainly at kysterfield but looking to ride eslewhere as well but haven't as yet.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Thanks mate, I had looked at a couple of those like the giant 29er and Trek, but I also spotted this one http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?241487-Specialized-Enduro-S-Works-Carbon-Large anyone got any opinions on this one?

Only think would be it is more all mountaih and not sure if it would suit the type of riding in currently do, being mainly at kysterfield but looking to ride eslewhere as well but haven't as yet.
Perfect mate. Do it. Sure it will be alittle more travel than is needed most of the time but it is light and great pedalling platform. The seller is a good guy too and has been on RB for years. Great value for money and well found