how do you do flatties

nickhagee

Likes Dirt
me and my friends have been trying flatties for a while and we still havent got them figured. how exactly do you do one?

MATT_82

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I swear there is a thread a day about how to do this:rolleyes:

this is if im doing it to the right, obviously if you do it left do the opposite.
As soon as you have taken off push down with your left hand and twist your right wrist while pulling up.
At the same time try to tuck your legs up to one side.
This is one trick that takes a long time to learn and can only get better with practice.
Another tip is to learn it over a hip, makes it so much easier to learn the movement, also trying it while standing with your bike will teach the correct movement.

Attachments

deaks

Likes Bikes and Dirt
try some of these...
there mostly about problems there having.. but youll probably find sound advice

Ozza

Eats Squid
Flatties....

One important thing alot of people think. Because its called a flattie you are not LYING your bike flat. You are acutally levering it up into you!

Heres how i do it....As i push one hand into my armpit and the other one slighty twisted down in the opposite direction (towards the ground), lean down/forward into your bars as you do the motion (push and pull).

Just worry about doing this, it depends on the jump. Some jumps may cause the bars to turn a touch as you dig the grip towards your armpit (like me in the pic) and some will allow your wheel to stay completely straight (even with the frames downtube). Also keep your legs tucked in, knowbody likes a boner style bow legged flatty.

All i can say is, just worry about the techneque and it should all come to you, they do require some patients. hahaha i mean paitience!

Heres a picture of me doing one, i find it easy to pick up what im doing wrong by looking at pics of myself or otherpeople.

Attachments

Last edited:

swinger#010_[FR]

Cannon Fodder
brakes

when you try and do flatties, it makes it easier to pull your back brake.
If you have ever tried to tilt a turning wheel, its really hard. So by pulling your back brake it makes it easier to tilt the wheel.
hope that helps.:)

Dymalla

Likes Dirt
me and my friends have been trying flatties for a while and we still havent got them figured. how exactly do you do one?
When i learnt, i was trying to improve a whip.
When you hit the bottom of the upramp try to soak it up, or pump up the ramp then turn the bars in whichever direction you feel comfortable with and at first just try leaning abit to the opposite side but kind of to the front and to the opposite side you want the back to flick out. Im talking about a whip/flattie, where its almost a whip but, a flat whip so its kind of a sideways flatty. But just experiment with moving your weight around and turning the front wheel, but for learning it should be on a jump where you only get half a second or a second of air time, with a good lip and a good downramp. No skee jumps cos the lip helps. Always try to get the front wheel down first too, cos if you havnt straightened up enough in the air when your front wheel lands the rear wheel will follow it and should be almost fully straight even if its out to the side when its in the air.