How do you practise to get heaps of height on your bunny hops?

HazaMTB

Likes Bikes
Just got a new street jumper which good quality just wondering whats the best way to practise getting height on it ? any ideas or methods

Cheers
HazaMTB

~James~

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You just answered your own question :p Practise! Keep at them and you will find that over time they will get bigger and bigger, start off by trying to hop smaller obstacles, even stacked bricks, keep building up bricks until you can hop higher than Danny MacAskill :)

i find the best way is to set up an obstacle on your driveway, something that when you case it it just falls down harmlessly, and slowly make it higher and higher. the only way your going to get higher hops is with practice and making the obstacle a little bit higher every time.

also im not sure what technique your using, but never lift both wheels at the same time. you get much higher hops going front wheel first then the rear wheel

The best way is definately to stack up something light and try to hop over it. I wouldnt suggest bricks because they fall and smash, or dont fall and grab your back wheel throwing you OTB. Instead I would use blocks of wood if you have any handy. Or if you have something that you would like to be able to hop over but think you will fall, ride up next to it and hop right beside it and get a friend to tell you if you would clear it. And as singlespeedfreeride said, dont just pull the whole bike up at once, pull your front wheel first then when it is at its peak flick your rear end up. This will make for a much higher hop and you won't look like a tool when you do it at your local skate park. One last tip, if you are trying to clear something, don't go slow at it, but don't go to fast either

song

Likes Dirt
this is what i've done.... just bunny hoping heaps of gutters then is you have lyk ledges in your suburb try the smaller one than gradually go bigger when you get confidence..... no trick to bunny hoping it's just keep repetitive, keeping jumping around your street sooner you'll get used to stuff and want to go bigger

This is what I did:

1. Learned how to bunny hop... the right way.
2. Bunny hopped the gutter.
3. After being comfortable with hoppong up gutters I started to hop up stairs - Like 2 steps then 3, 4, etc...

Hopping up steps also helps you with higher objects and knowing the correct timing, because I've found that if I hop a little late my back tyre will hit the bottom step and it'll just kick up, landing at the top of the stairs. And if you don't make the jump you'll hit the 2nd top stair, so it's pretty forgiving if you don't make it :D

Hope this helps you out.

what i did was make two wooden stands and put screws sticking out of the face of them every couple of inches, you choose how low you want to start off and then put a screw in every two inches so it is as high as you want then just get a long piece of dowel or something that can rest on the screws that way if you hit it it just tips off.