How do you safely buy a bike from interstate?

MRO

Likes Dirt
I am from Perth and looking at a few second hand bikes around the $4k mark from the eastern states.

How does everyone else buy safely. Always worried about sending cash and never seeing the seller or bike again.

What is the best way to do it?

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt
I am from Perth and looking at a few second hand bikes around the $4k mark from the eastern states.

How does everyone else buy safely. Always worried about sending cash and never seeing the seller or bike again.

What is the best way to do it?
Personally I would travel to the said bike, to much money to trust an unknown person with. I would trust some people on rotorburn with 4g but a bit of research of trading history would help. I have not been robbed ever on an online deal but I have not gone over 500 bucks. I have been surprised at the amount of people who get me to post goods from my Gumtree ads, very trusting people. Oh yeah, finally if they have an urgent need for money whatever the reason maybe, I would be more cautious.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No 1 is you need to know the history of the seller. I've bought and sold a few bikes to people who I have never met. It's always a risk, but if you can look up their Rotorburn history and they have a sold and bought a few things that's a good start, facebook stalk them to verify they are who they say they are.

99% of people are honest and good. If you just have to do recon to make sure your aren't dealing with the 1%. If it sounds slightly iffy, walk away.

Good luck :)

Or get a well known Rotorburner in that state/area to have a look for you, Im sure someone would be happy to help :)

P.S I recectly sold a $4700 bike to a guy who had never met me and lived in a different state. He EFT'd the money, it cleared, I sent the bike and he had it a week later. But I'm sure he looked up my mobile number, email and facebook and saw I had a history of advertising, selling and buying bikes.

Last edited:
No way am I risking $4k for a bike sight unseen, let alone trusting someone to send it

If I couldn't see it, touch it, taste it I aint interested. And that's for the busted arse ancient hacks that seem to be in my price range, let alone a $4k jobbie.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
where are the bikes located..im in Newcastle/Central Coast, happy to help out if needed.
I tried to start a Fixed thread, for this exact reason- never really got much interest.
I Swapped a Moto for a Fatbike with a member on here, sight unseen for both parties, worked out very well both ways!..had to send moto to Tassie!
Go with your gut instinct, its rarely wrong!..and if its too good to be true, it probably is.

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Easy, don't

Not only is there a chance of being ripped, you also don't know condition, and the bike has to be packed and shipped which carries its own risk

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get them to MMS you a pic of themselves with their driver's licence clearly in view and another pic of the bike with them in shot. Call them on their mobile to confirm it is legit. Pay via PayPal as mentioned.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
It's all about trust. If you can't bring yourself to trust another human that you've never met then...don't.

I bought a $1,200 frame from another 'burner in another state a couple of years back. Said 'burner rarely posted and hasn't really been back. But he gave me enough information about himself to give me the confidence that I could proceed...and we did. Without drama. Despite the fact that another part time 'burner was a third party in the exchange (the frame was at his place) so I had to place my trust in two parties I had never met!

If you find something that sounds good then get in touch with the vendor on the phone and have a good old conversation...establish some common ground...if they aren't interested ion a chat or you don't get the right feels then it only costs you a phone call to establish that it ain't happening.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, it's all been said.

There have been a few members on here that were well known, had been around for years and actively contributed, and yet still ripped a fellow member off. However I've had a number of trades with guys that were nothing more than blind trust - and they've all worked out well.

Like many, I wouldn't have an issue with trading with many of the more well known guys - hell I'd even trust Moorey with that sort of money, but I'm not sure I'd send 4k to someone who's only been around for a year and isn't forthcoming with all sorts of personal information.

MRO

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys.

I am on both sides with this one. I am looking at buying interstate bikes and am selling mine and have been approached by a few interestaters to send.

I think paypal might be a good option but as a seller i am not sure i would want to accept that.

I am not set on one bike yet but once i have its location i make take up one of the offers of a local inspection. I am happy to offer the same to anyone looking at WA bikes too. I am not an expert but can help to confirm if the bike is real and has any obvious issues.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Recently purchased a reasonably expensive carbon road bike from Qld via Gumtree and had it sent via courier to WA. I spoke with the seller on the phone and he supplied a lot (I mean this seller went above and beyond) of photos of the bike. He obtained a quote for freight, had the bike packed at a bike store, supplied his bank details, and I agreed to purchase and transferred the money into his account. If anything went tits up, I had his contact details, a bank account number, a copy of the freight invoice and tracking number, and a copy of the original ad saved off Gumtree.

I did all this whilst working overseas and the guy organised for the bike to be held at the freight depot until I was able to collect in person. I had to produce photo ID to collect the bike box and I let the seller know I was happy with the purchase once I had it tuned.

This transaction consisted of about 21 emails and 5 phonecalls. Seller was so easy to deal with and wanted a sale so supplied a lot of information about the bike.

EDIT: The seller ended up using PEP transport and the cost of road freight which took about 12 days (I think) from Qld to WA was only $120.00 which seems pretty affordable. The bike arrived in 'as new' condition as the original ad stipulated so the courier company obeyed the FRAGILE stickers plastered over the box :)

Last edited:

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Depends on your level of paranoia.

I've bought a car sight unseen, Sydney to Perth. Cross your t's, dot those i's and you'll be fine.