How does everyone get their perfect pressure?

How do you get that perfect tyre pressure?

• By feel.

Votes: 31 44.9%
  • By a gauge/meter.

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • Other....post reason in the thread.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jimmy-dh

Likes Dirt
I was viewing a few threads before and I noticed that a few of you are very precise when it comes to the psi in your tyres. I have a gauge but Ive never used it, I prefer to do it by feel. So, how does everyone else do it?

driftking

Wheel size expert
inflate with a gauge and note the pressure, then when out on the track see how it feels if i think it needs less i just take a bit out using my finger until it feels about right, then if it feels good for that track i leave it. i guess best way would be to once you have found this desired pressure check the pressure using the gauge, so you can put a number to it next time.

its a bit of both i guess, eventually its all about feel but knowing your numbers helps the task be a bit more simple and doesnt require you to play around to much with pressure everytime you go out for a ride.

i dont really pay to much attention to pressure as iv never had a gauge pump with me so i just go by feel, but if i did have the gauge the above would be how id do it.

Last edited:

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
By feel... It certainly is something I haven't really paid much attention to in DH. I know back in my XC days I used to make sure I had a specific pressure in there, but yeah that really isn't something I worry about too much these days.

I find with DH, being a reasonably light rider, I tend to run around 20psi - 25psi as a guess.... at most 30. I know most people will think that is stupid and way to low, but that pressure has worked well and I intend keeping it, purely for my weight. That said it is really a guess, but I know it is rather low, just a squeeze of the tyre seems to work as great gauge.

I use "how the bike feels" on the tracks. I.e. set it at a certain pressure for the tracks I'm riding that day and see how it goes.
If it's bouncing around I usually let them down a little.
If it's wallowing I add air.

If I let them down or add pressure while riding I note the pressure when home again.

I use a decent gauge for consistency.

Going by "feel" i.e. squeezing the tyre with fingers to check it's hardness is inconsistent.

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Always by gauge, both bikes included in this.

I work to tight tolerances so it's just natural to go by the numbers

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
If you ever want to narrow down a sweet spot and be able to compare your pressures on different runs you NEED to use a gauge.

How high did I have the pressure?
Did I pinch flat or did the tyre feel like it was rolling out from under me? = too low.
Did things feel too harsh, was the tyre bouncing off stuff and feeling low on grip and sketchy? = too high.

RMS116

Likes Dirt
I adjust depending on track. The more rocks etc I will run 30 psi so I don't ding the rim. But the optimum pressure that my tyres were designed to run at is 27-29.

Regan

Eats Squid
I always use a gauge. IMO consistent tire pressure is one of the most important parts of bike setup. That way the bike will handle the same every ride. You need to check it a couple of times through the day especially on warm days because as the day heats up the pressure will rise. I've had it rise as much as 5psi...
I usually keep the pressures 23psi front, 30psi rear as a starting point and if needed I’ll go a couple of psi either side depending on conditions