How far is Too far?, when its XTR!

camoshop

Banned
Yes..... But if your retarded enough to not charge it, you deserve for that to happen.

When SRAM release their wireless road groupo, oh how fun that will be! 4 different things to charge even more often and trying to get them to sync to each other! Just for the sake of getting rid of cables....
Remembering to charge the garmin is bad enough, fuck having to charge a bike.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Be nice to hack the shifter frequency with your own remote then randomly shift other people's gears. Otherwise not for me.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Remembering to charge the garmin is bad enough, fuck having to charge a bike.
Di2 takes ages to run-down the battery. Had my Di2 Lapierre for 8 months, never charged the battery after the initial charge.

However, the synchro shift will put a drain on it and using i-Fly which integrates with your Garmin to let you know what gear your in displayed on the Garmin will decrease the battery life. Having ridden around a parking lot with synchro shift, it's pretty neat how you only need one shifter and can still run 2x11. If you ran a 1x11 Di2, battery life would be longer than road Di2.

Be thankful you guys don't have to deal with Campag EPS.....

beejay

Likes Dirt
WTF...is this really what riders want?....what's next, thought control shifting!
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/shimano-xtr-m9050-di2-11-speed-triple-groupset/rp-prod127994
For me it's too far. I'm all for modern engineering but it feels that electronic gadgetry is moving away from the essence of mountain biking. I've always felt it's about using mechanical means with/conquering nature (to deep????), and of course you can say good bye to user serviceability.

scblack

Leucocholic
Be thankful you guys don't have to deal with Campag EPS.....
Any actual reason you say that? I love Campag and have Super Record Titanium on my roadie - I've not followed EPS reliability very much yet, but is EPS proving problematic from your experience?

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll be drooling over a build with XTR Di2, but I can't see myself ever forking out for it. XX1 has been amazing so far for me. But Di2 it cool, for my next roadie I would like it mainly for the FD trim function.

Winno

Likes Dirt
My Focus roadie has Di2.
Was hesitant at first but now I love it.

I run 1x10 XTR on the Element.
Love that too but wouldn't say no to Di2.

Beej1

Yes..... But if your retarded enough to not charge it, you deserve for that to happen.
If you're challenged to the degree you aren't able to form correct grammar, you probably shouldn't throw around dated pejoratives such as this.

Meanwhile ... from the description:
The new Shimano Synchronized Shift function and programmable shift mapping allows riders to change their focus from the physical effort of shifting to the trail ahead. A programmable option with XTR Di2 M9050, Shimano Synchronized Shift creates an intuitive shifting experience on the bike through customisable synchronised front and rear shifting via a single FIREBOLT shifter.

... I'll be honest - I've never found shifting to be much of an effort. The programmable part sounds cool, but I doubt I'll ever use a front shifter again either. I like the idea from a technological advancement point of view, but I predict the pricepoint will make it about as common on the trails as the Rockshox inverted XC fork.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any actual reason you say that? I love Campag and have Super Record Titanium on my roadie - I've not followed EPS reliability very much yet, but is EPS proving problematic from your experience?
Firstly the wiring. Campag use 10cm of wire attched to each component for some reason, so building them is a pain in the ass trying to get the RD wire through the chainstay. If you pull on a connected wire, it wouldn't break free of the connector, it'll just snap where it exits the part. Shimano has wiring kits, and sell spare cables. It just plugs directly into the part, so if you crimp or slightly tear a wire, it's not the end of the world. Do that with an internal EPS battery wire and boom, you have to buy a whole new battery. This makes troubleshooting parts even more difficult. On Shimano, if the RD isn't working, you can just swap to another Di2 RD without having to fish any wires in the frame, can't do that with EPS. Shimano's diagnostic tool works great, you can isolate parts to determine the faulty one. All EPS has, is some on-board diagnostics, which is just a LED that flashes when there is a fault. Dunno where the fault is, but it's a fault.

EPS don't do sprint shifters or climbing shifters. You can't reprogram the buttons, you can't change the amount of gears it burns through when holding the button down, nor change the speed at which it does this. Oh, and if you wanted the newer brain, you have to buy a whole new unit. With Shimano 6770 and beyond, all you need to do is plug it in, update the firmware and done.

They attempted to make an EPS/Disk brake lever with Formula and that was just a massive flop. Lever rattles and failed brain in the shifters, not to mention if the contacts for the shifter buttons got any kind of moisture near them, they'd stop working.

Basicly EPS is like 7970 and hasn't got any better since the day it was released.

If you're challenged to the degree you aren't able to form correct grammar, you probably shouldn't throw around dated pejoratives such as this.
Glad someone picked that up, otherwise who knows what could have happened to the rest of the world!

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
Firstly the wiring. Campag use 10cm of wire attched to each component for some reason, so building them is a pain in the ass trying to get the RD wire through the chainstay. If you pull on a connected wire, it wouldn't break free of the connector, it'll just snap where it exits the part. Shimano has wiring kits, and sell spare cables. It just plugs directly into the part, so if you crimp or slightly tear a wire, it's not the end of the world. Do that with an internal EPS battery wire and boom, you have to buy a whole new battery. This makes troubleshooting parts even more difficult. On Shimano, if the RD isn't working, you can just swap to another Di2 RD without having to fish any wires in the frame, can't do that with EPS. Shimano's diagnostic tool works great, you can isolate parts to determine the faulty one. All EPS has, is some on-board diagnostics, which is just a LED that flashes when there is a fault. Dunno where the fault is, but it's a fault.

EPS don't do sprint shifters or climbing shifters. You can't reprogram the buttons, you can't change the amount of gears it burns through when holding the button down, nor change the speed at which it does this. Oh, and if you wanted the newer brain, you have to buy a whole new unit. With Shimano 6770 and beyond, all you need to do is plug it in, update the firmware and done.

They attempted to make an EPS/Disk brake lever with Formula and that was just a massive flop. Lever rattles and failed brain in the shifters, not to mention if the contacts for the shifter buttons got any kind of moisture near them, they'd stop working.

Basicly EPS is like 7970 and hasn't got any better since the day it was released.
Interesting, I'm all of a sudden less excited about EPS on my next roadie. :pout:

Sounds like old school Alfa electronics versus recent Toyota electronics.

Damn Italian electronics......

Related story - my mates S-Works roadie had EPS Record when it first came out, but it kept snapping the front derailleur mount. Ended up fitting Di2 11spd.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well it certainly fits the direction of the " Dumbed " down MTB legal trails . But when it becomes cheaper and cuts down on bike maintenance it will take off .

willsy01

Eats Squid
Mate: "Hey man, wanna go for a pedal?"
Me: "Sorry, I can't......the battery in my drive train is flat"

Yeah..............nah. Worst reason not to go for a ride ever.