How fast is your commute?

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Harmonix - if you're riding through pitch darkness away from urban lighting, you need some punchy lights or you're going to get flipped by a stick or pothole one day. I recommend getting one of the two models I've linked to - an older version of the Joystick is on my bike now, 3.5 years and still going strong although it loses some battery life in cold weather now. Within your price range too, and bar mounted is much cleaner than having cables everywhere. Each has 600 lumens available, roughly twice what you have now, and the lenses come in a few variations to suit MTB or road.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=54845
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=54848
Thanks Binaural. I had a look at some of these and they look awesome.
Lucky for me I got my first paycheck and got kitted out with some lights so I'm good to go. (Chinese generic brand 900 lumen 'quoted' so we'll see how they go. If they don't do so well I'll get some exposures).
I now look like a christmas tree/alien lightship.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I don't have anywhere to commute to at the moment but I've ridden to Sydney Olympic Park and back which is a 35km round trip from my place which I did in 1hr 50min — I'm not that fit at the moment and crossing the train tracks a few times knocks a few minutes off. My route is: Marsfield, Eastwood, Denistone, West Ryde, Meadowbank, Rhodes, Homebush. Some good bike paths and minimal on road stuff through that way.

I love checking out data! I use mapmyride.com, a bike computer and Sports Tracker to record my rides.

paulb

Likes Dirt
if you're riding through pitch darkness away from urban lighting
Most importantly if you're riding country 100km/h roads (I'm guessing) in pitch darkness go for the full Christmas tree rear lighting effect. You've got sleepy drivers (4:30am is right in the 'death zone') who won't be looking for or expecting you. Far more of a worry than anything you might hit (though that's important too)

OTOH at least good front lights are good for proper MTB night riding as well

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Most importantly if you're riding country 100km/h roads (I'm guessing) in pitch darkness go for the full Christmas tree rear lighting effect. You've got sleepy drivers (4:30am is right in the 'death zone') who won't be looking for or expecting you. Far more of a worry than anything you might hit (though that's important too)

OTOH at least good front lights are good for proper MTB night riding as well
True that.
The good news is, every day I am passed by only two cars on the whole 15km journey.
The same two cars every time. I recognise them by the stickers and large toolboxes in the back of the utes.
They always pass me on the same stretch at the same time, to the minute. So I think they are getting used to seeing me, and they always give me a flick of the hi-beam to let me know they are coming and really wide berth which is nice.

As for any other traffic, I seem to have the road to myself for the whole trip aside from those two tradies.

I still stay on the shoulder though.

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
moved offices recently and i'm now doing a 100km loop on the m4 and m7 about 3 times a week. great training, but the cold and dark has been keeping it challenging. hanging out for long summer days again...

as for christmas trees, i'm currently running 2 white flashers either side of my ayups. on the back i have a super bright strobe on the saddle bag and on my lower back plus 2 knogs on my helmet. add to that my flouro vest and i think i'm doing about as much as i can do without spending my weeks wages solely on batteries...

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
moved offices recently and i'm now doing a 100km loop on the m4 and m7 about 3 times a week. great training, but the cold and dark has been keeping it challenging. hanging out for long summer days again...
Now I feel bad about not commuting. It's a lot harder to get motivated to ride 60km each way starting at 5:30am knowing I'm heading out for a day at work instead of just a nice ride. :(

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Now I feel bad about not commuting. It's a lot harder to get motivated to ride 60km each way starting at 5:30am knowing I'm heading out for a day at work instead of just a nice ride. :(
Funny you say that. It all psychological.
The odd thing is, about 10kms in I actually forget I am going to work and just get into the riding mode and it's only when I am approaching my destination I slap out of it and say to myself "That's right, I'm going to work today" and I actually have to remind myself. It's weird, but it's just like getting in a nice morning ride.

I am lucky that I have a hot shower at work though. And lockers, so I keep towels there and stuff and just jump off the bike and straight into a long hot shower.

Do it. Even if you only prep up to ride one day this week. Just ride one day and freeze your ass off and get into it. But 60kms is a hell of a commute compared to my 15, and I can understand your reluctance. One day would be alright though if you had that as your weekly ride day, and that way you could mentally prep for it.

There is no better way to start the day.
Also, I find I am in a better mood at work when I ride, and it takes more to get me down or give me the shits because you know what? I don't care! Because I got a ride in today!

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Funny you say that. It all psychological.
The odd thing is, about 10kms in I actually forget I am going to work and just get into the riding mode and it's only when I am approaching my destination I slap out of it and say to myself "That's right, I'm going to work today" and I actually have to remind myself. It's weird, but it's just like getting in a nice morning ride.

I am lucky that I have a hot shower at work though. And lockers, so I keep towels there and stuff and just jump off the bike and straight into a long hot shower.

Do it. Even if you only prep up to ride one day this week. Just ride one day and freeze your ass off and get into it. But 60kms is a hell of a commute compared to my 15, and I can understand your reluctance. One day would be alright though if you had that as your weekly ride day, and that way you could mentally prep for it.

There is no better way to start the day.
Also, I find I am in a better mood at work when I ride, and it takes more to get me down or give me the shits because you know what? I don't care! Because I got a ride in today!
I agree with all of that. Once I'm into it I always enjoy the ride. I was doing it 2 or 3 days a week earlier in the year and felt great, both at work and afterwards. On the way home I have a few different ways I can go ranging from 50km straight down the flat Hume Hwy or 3 other ways (one is the same as the way in), all with a decent climb in the middle and being 57-60km. No hot running water at work (not even sink taps) means I wash in a cold sink so that's a put off when it's raining. I might see how I go this Wednesday and Thursday, on the singlespeed if it's raining.