How good are the 5th Element rear shocks?

Cruz

Likes Dirt
From the TFTuned web site;

10 September 2003 - 5th Riders dominate the Worlds

Riders using 5th Element technology rear shocks took 8 of the 12 DH medals at the World Championships last weekend. In the Women's it was 1, 2, 3 & in the Men's 8 of the top 10 were riding 5th Technology.

Anne Caro not only took the 5th Coil to gold in the DH but rode her 5th Air equipped Commencal Pasta Power to gold in the 4 Cross.

In the men's Greg Minaar took gold with his Swinger equipped Haro & Junior Sam Hill took Gold ahead of Gee Atherton in silver both riding 5th coils.

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so if i get a 5th element i'll blitz the field? :lol:
seriously though, the shock producers must have got soemthing right if all those top riders are using them.

notb4dinner

Likes Dirt
I suspect this probably has more to do with the sheer number of riders running them than any advantage they have over other shocks.

nicklouse

Likes Dirt
notb4dinner said:
I suspect this probably has more to do with the sheer number of riders running them than any advantage they have over other shocks.
so the question why are so many riders using them?
because when set up right they are quite amasing

nick

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
josh said:
Look at the riders on the bikes though....
And the full time mechanics they have tuning their shocks for them. IMO the 5th ele is a great shock when set up right, pitty they're such a pain to get right. Also IMO DH shocks should not need a pump.
I'd take one over a fox anyday, just not over my Avy.

bazza

look at me
woot to my fox vanilla.....it works.....yer a pump sounds pretty gay but also the 5th element people are supplying these shocks as well for sponsorship. you will take the company thats offering you the most money or the best benefits over the quality, you may quit after a while because of shitty quality but when they are almost equal.....fox dh and element you will go with best benefits.

Ty

Eats Squid
well i don't know if this is a fair test but i have a swinger (5th copy) on my AC with a 500 lb spring and tasha has a rockshock pro deluxe with a 500lb spring, my bike weights about 10 LBs more with most of the weight in the wheels, and in the same travel setting my bike pedals/sprints far better, it just bobs less due to the spv, plain and simple. i've never riden an Avy so i really can't comment there but every bike i've ridden with a spv shock over a normal shock has always pedaled far better imho.

notb4dinner

Likes Dirt
I'm not denying that they're an awesome shock (not having ridden one I can't judge) just I don't think that's the reason so many people are winning on them.

S.

ex offender
Ty said:
well i don't know if this is a fair test but i have a swinger (5th copy) on my AC with a 500 lb spring and tasha has a rockshock pro deluxe with a 500lb spring, my bike weights about 10 LBs more with most of the weight in the wheels, and in the same travel setting my bike pedals/sprints far better, it just bobs less due to the spv, plain and simple. i've never riden an Avy so i really can't comment there but every bike i've ridden with a spv shock over a normal shock has always pedaled far better imho.
Well that IS kinda the whole idea of the SPV stuff...

bb7 rider

Cyclone Imports
i love my 5th as a RACING shock it rules!! when i was with the balfa team at the world cups they where riding 5ths but the bikes got stolen and they had to run bikes with fox vanillas at the next race, one rider crashed 3 times and the other was well of the pace than usual and they both said they could not control the bikes aswell without the 5th. i also traveled with the progressive mechanic for 2 weeks and they dont have as much money as other teams but will setup and do whatever they can for anyone with a fifth even strip and rebuild the thing every race they are real nice! this raises another question why does team giant run progressive 5th elements on their race bikes but supply the stock with swingers? the 5th must have advantages!

S.

ex offender
bb7 rider said:
this raises another question why does team giant run progressive 5th elements on their race bikes but supply the stock with swingers? the 5th must have advantages!
Or maybe it's cos Giant obviously have some sort of OEM deal with Manitou, seeing as all their bikes come with Manitou forks... and that Progressive have gone and sponsored just about everyone.

bb7 rider

Cyclone Imports
but if the giant bikes have swingers on them then the team would usually run swingers too, but they have 5ths on their bikes and no mention of 5th anywhere on there truck, trailer, jersey etc only manitou