so i dont no how high i should make my first few good quality jumps
i don't want to have to move the lander or the take off closer
does any one have any suggestions for me
how bigger gaps did u start off with
any help would be nice

Last edited:

kerr.box

Likes Bikes
whatever you are happy with really. you cant tell what type of jump you would make without seeing your riding style and or confidence. unless you are a pro rider i cant tell you anymore than to build what you are happy with:D

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wat riding are you into, general rule
DH: longer with less of a kicker
DJ: Shorter, higher with more of a kick to boost you better

willipa

Likes Dirt
i don't want to have to move the lander or the take off closer
Your going to have to, build a huge lander, then experiment with kicker gaps, steepness, heights etc. Always move the kicker, as it generally requires less work. ;)
Theres no set rules, its whatever your cool with.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Have you considered building table tops? If you are learning to jump and aren't sure about sizes, table tops allow you to fall short without falling into the gap. I learnt on a set of tables about 1.25-1.5m from the top of the up ramp to top of down ramp. The ramp was about 90cm, 50% above 50% below ground. I fell short plenty of times while working out rhythm and speed and came away largely unscathed. Alternatively, if you don't want to put all the effort into a table top, make a table top landing with maybe 50cm of flat dirt before the down ramp starts.

Have you considered building table tops? If you are learning to jump and aren't sure about sizes, table tops allow you to fall short without falling into the gap. I learnt on a set of tables about 1.25-1.5m from the top of the up ramp to top of down ramp. The ramp was about 90cm, 50% above 50% below ground. I fell short plenty of times while working out rhythm and speed and came away largely unscathed. Alternatively, if you don't want to put all the effort into a table top, make a table top landing with maybe 50cm of flat dirt before the down ramp starts.
Do u think i should use like a create or some wood for a case mat ?
the only reason is that it is quicker than building it out of dirt
I will probably start with about 1 and a half metre gap to start off with

Thanks for everyones help

A.Gent

Likes Bikes
Do u think i should use like a create or some wood for a case mat ?
the only reason is that it is quicker than building it out of dirt
I will probably start with about 1 and a half metre gap to start off with

Thanks for everyones help
A pile of pallets would do it, i guess, but I think you might be surprised by how quickly you could dig up a pile of dirt that would be just as good.
I think 1.5 metres is a good gap to start with.

Rickystp0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depends if you like flowy riding or to trick jumps

Trick jumps: a few in a row, big jumps, big gaps, big landings which are soft and space in the middle to pedal.

Flowy jumps: short gaps with tall up ramps and many choices of lines.

adman

Likes Dirt
i started my riding interest with a big ladder drop. Sure it wasn't much of a jump, but it helped.

I jsut build a long 4 metre ladder, made very strongly (still using it for my now 2 metre drops) and slowly built it up. When I first started, I thought I was hardcore as, and put TWO WHOLE BRICKS underneath the end. Slowly over the days/weeks I built it up until it needed a downramp.

Kept on adding bricks....

It got to about 1 metre high on a 25 degree angle when I needed to build bigger and bricks just weren't cutting it on the strength front. I found an embankment that was about 3/4 of a metre high. Then started doing it all again, worked up slowly.

Honestly, the worst thing you can do is let mates push you into moving too fast or criticise you until you do something. If you crash, you never want to do that jump again if you weren't up for it. I did a 2 metre drop when I didn't want to, crashed (not because of my own fault, it was the lander) and I couldn't get the guts to do for weeks when I came back to do it 2 months later.

So honestly, take it at your own speed, get a feel for how things flow when you're in the air.

Finally, buy whatever you want to protect yourself (within reason...). When you are doing drops over 1.25m it might be worth buying a full face. If you can complete downhill courses quickly and you want to go faster, feel free to get body armour. One of the things people tell you when you say you're gonna get stuff is "You're not doing big enough stuff to need it". If you're miles off, you probably shouldn't, but if you're close, you might need that gear to push yourself the next level.

Personally, the best starter gear are Fox Launch Guards ($110AUD) and a pair of gloves (they don't even have to be proper riding gloves). Of course, wear a helmet.

BEST OF LUCK!

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if you have a local BMX track, copy the distances and hights off it, just add more of a lip to the kickers though.