How much assembly is to much assembly for online bike sale?

Z

Zaf

I think a safe rule of thumb when supplying a bike direct to consumer should be:
Any and all construction should be equal to that expected when unpacking the same bike from a leading Bike Bag
  • Connect wheel/s (possibly rotors to wheels as well depending how cautious a packer you are)
  • Connect Handlebars
  • Connect Pedals
  • Connect rear derailleur
Anything in addition to that is probably a bit of a chore and/or not on par with competition.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Include the tools needed, full length Allen keys, not the IKEA style 40mm long ones that are useless. Include a cheap torque wrench, the basic style canyon provide is fine

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Polygon nails the boxed bike direct. I still use the multitool that came with it. It's been better than alot of high end ones.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Hey all,

Does the following start to sound like hardwork for online sales bike assembly:

- Install front wheel
- Install dropper seat cable to dropper seat post
- Mount habdle bars
- Install grips
- Mount front and rear brake lever
- Mount front gear selector
- Install pedals
- Clamp front brake hydraulic line to front fork
- Connect fork lock out cable.

Interested to hear peoples thoughts, we are also in the process of having a flash logo done to sponsor the forum....
Front wheel and pedals is pretty standard. The rest sounds like a tight-arse factory manager trying to save labour costs by getting the customer to do all the work, and is, frankly, taking the piss.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I think that the shifters, brake levers, grips and dropper remote should be on the bars at least. Any particular reason that they shouldn’t be ?

If the brake caliper is mounted to the fork, why can’t the hose be clamped to the fork also ?

Presumably a bar mounted fork lockout lever. Any reason that couldn’t be on the bars and connected to the fork ?

MARKL

Eats Squid
A few years ago I bought a Specialized road bike, the shop I was buying it from burnt down. Long story short I had one air freighted from interstate direct to me, the shop apologized that it needed to be assembled but it was the only way I was going to get it in time. I attached the front wheel, pumped up the tyres, tuned the gears, adjusted the seat and bar, installed...can't remember doing much else. My thoughts are if that is how a bike arrives at the bike shop for a mechanic to play with before it goes to the customer that is the bear minimum. My view is pump up tyres, adjust bar, saddle, adjust suspension and ride.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Interested to hear peoples thoughts, we are also in the process of having a flash logo done to sponsor the forum....
Now that the formalities seem to be out of the way...I'll start by letting you know that I assemble all my bikes myself. While I'm an incompetent mechanic and wouldn't trust my build skills on anything extreme, I find it to be a fun past time.

I think a lot of people are intimidated by assembling their own bike, especially noobs. The pic you posted looks as though this isn't a bike for noobs and you'll be pitching at the higher end of the market. In doing so I think that you still want the bike as close to done as possible. When a box full of bike rolls into the lbs there is usually fuck all left to be done, especially on bikes with less complicated parts (droppers can be a bit of a different case). You really don't want to be sending your bikes out with much more work than this. Brands like polygon, canyon, commencal and YT all do very well in keeping it simple for the end user. Include some really good instructions, the more interactive and intuitive the better.

Also consider the costs you're cutting from the bottom line in this product delivery method. This should be reflected in your value proposition. How does the cost, assembly time, after sales servicing and impact on warranty compare to buying something off the floor of the lbs? Also remember I probably had the chance to test ride the lbs bike.

And give a gift! Let the people know you are grateful to them for taking a risk on your products. A nice set of Allen keys to assemble the bike (they don't need to be snap on or park, but not the cheap as fuck junk Ikea gives) or a multi tool...a t-shirt or hat, a box of fresh and safe Kelly brothers condoms...a kind gesture goes a long way. I'm sure many of us have fond memories of the bright green mentos and the hand written letters!

Good luck. The rig looks rad. When is the 100-140mm ss/4x/fr version being released? Cash waiting...

Now that the formalities seem to be out of the way...I'll start by letting you know that I assemble all my bikes myself. While I'm an incompetent mechanic and wouldn't trust my build skills on anything extreme, I find it to be a fun past time.

I think a lot of people are intimidated by assembling their own bike, especially noobs. The pic you posted looks as though this isn't a bike for noobs and you'll be pitching at the higher end of the market. In doing so I think that you still want the bike as close to done as possible. When a box full of bike rolls into the lbs there is usually fuck all left to be done, especially on bikes with less complicated parts (droppers can be a bit of a different case). You really don't want to be sending your bikes out with much more work than this. Brands like polygon, canyon, commencal and YT all do very well in keeping it simple for the end user. Include some really good instructions, the more interactive and intuitive the better.

Also consider the costs you're cutting from the bottom line in this product delivery method. This should be reflected in your value proposition. How does the cost, assembly time, after sales servicing and impact on warranty compare to buying something off the floor of the lbs? Also remember I probably had the chance to test ride the lbs bike.

And give a gift! Let the people know you are grateful to them for taking a risk on your products. A nice set of Allen keys to assemble the bike (they don't need to be snap on or park, but not the cheap as fuck junk Ikea gives) or a multi tool...a t-shirt or hat, a box of fresh and safe Kelly brothers condoms...a kind gesture goes a long way. I'm sure many of us have fond memories of the bright green mentos and the hand written letters!

Good luck. The rig looks rad. When is the 100-140mm ss/4x/fr version being released? Cash waiting...
The feedback has been great,

- We will be offering a multi tool and a T-shirt with each sale
- As far as assembly we will be working with the manufacturer to get a more complete build done.
- We have demo bikes available for riders in Vic such as the Eraser 90, we will have a Noid 90 and a Slage 90 carbon hardtail so there will be a fair few options

When is the 100-140mm ss/4x/fr version? sorry you lost me.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
When is the 100-140mm ss/4x/fr version? sorry you lost me.
For shame. There is a real lack of slope style (ss) and 4 cross (4x) bikes in Australia. There isn't really much of an event scene for them but they are a fun style to ride.

A quick look at the race line up from rotorua crankworx dual slalom showed a field of riders without an appropriate bike to ride.

Have you got Kellysbikes distribution, I heard a company in Brisbane was doing it ?
As far as i know when I left Slovakia 1 month ago I was the man in Aus I have been involved with a guy Tim K in spruiking the Noids in the DH market.

I have been getting around at Harcourt on there eraser 70 which is a 160mm carbon enduro and carbon hardtail at Lysty which are the demo model for test rides.

Would be interested to hear the company name if you can think of it.

Thanks Ben
Owner Kellys Bike Australasia