How much have you been able to haggle the 2011 Giant Trance X1 down to?

GarethJ

Squid
Hey ya'll - this is my first post, so please go easy on me if I make a rookie mistake by posting this in the wrong section or if this is simply a dumb question.

I've decided to move up from my hardtail 2009 Yukon into something a bit more comfortable with full suspension and at the moment I'm a little bit in love with the Giant Trance X1. I've had a bit of a look around and so far have been able to find the 2011 model for $3,600 at one of my local bike shops along with a firm "we won't drop it any lower" from the sales rep.

I'm going to go around to a few more bike shops and try to get them to beat it, but before I do I'd just like to find out if anyone has been able to find or buy the bike cheaper than that anywhere in Australia? I realise that $3,600 is already about $400 off RRP so I don't expect to be able to get it much cheaper, but every dollar counts!

frensham

Likes Dirt
Hey ya'll - this is my first post, so please go easy on me if I make a rookie mistake by posting this in the wrong section or if this is simply a dumb question.

I've decided to move up from my hardtail 2009 Yukon into something a bit more comfortable with full suspension and at the moment I'm a little bit in love with the Giant Trance X1. I've had a bit of a look around and so far have been able to find the 2011 model for $3,600 at one of my local bike shops along with a firm "we won't drop it any lower" from the sales rep.

I'm going to go around to a few more bike shops and try to get them to beat it, but before I do I'd just like to find out if anyone has been able to find or buy the bike cheaper than that anywhere in Australia? I realise that $3,600 is already about $400 off RRP so I don't expect to be able to get it much cheaper, but every dollar counts!
I don't know where you live but here in the ACT a local bike shop called ONYA Bike Belconnen has a one day sale on the 10th Dec with minimum 20% off all Giant bikes - at $4000 rrp you would get your Trance X1 for $3200.
http://www.onyabikebelco.com.au/news/?IntCatId=20&IntContId=856

Az

Likes Dirt
Gareth,

You are far better off in the long run, if you choose the store that is:

a) Local to you
b) Has a good Reputation/service/workshop
c) Supports the local riding scene
d) Includes some servicing included in the purchase (Lots of stores do 12mths)

Rather then the store who is willing to drop their pants just to another bike out the door...........

frensham

Likes Dirt
Gareth,

You are far better off in the long run, if you choose the store that is:

a) Local to you
b) Has a good Reputation/service/workshop
c) Supports the local riding scene
d) Includes some servicing included in the purchase (Lots of stores do 12mths)

Rather then the store who is willing to drop their pants just to another bike out the door...........
Many shops do both. The aforementioned ONYA Bike Belconnen ticks all of your list AND has good discounts to boot.

GarethJ

Squid
@frensham - Thanks for the info. I live on the Central Coast (Just north of Sydney) so Canberra is a bit of a hike for me. 20% off is pretty big though so a short road trip down south might be in order if I get a case of discount fever.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is what sort of price people have been able to buy this bike for so that I can use that as a reference when haggling (ideally with one of my local bike stores).

0psi

Eats Squid
It's often a good idea to ask what else they can chuck in. They may only be willing to know off a couple of hundred bucks on the bike but you can usually get accessories very cheap, if not free, with a bike purchase.

Want a new helmet? I'll take that bike if you throw in that $200 helmet. Chances are they'll go for it as that helmet would probably cost them $110-$150 but it looks like they're giving you $200 worth of stuff. Better than $200 off the price of the bike, in their books at least.

Otherwise you can always ask for 50% off any gear purchased with the bike. They may haggle you up a fair bit but you will still get a sizable discount. They won't care about not making money on the accessories if they can make money on the bike. Win, win situation here, you can buy a bike at a discount and walk out or you can pay slightly more for the bike, get a whole heap of accessories silly cheap, still ending up on top in the end. Plus the shop makes a bit more coin on the bike.

gazzaed

Likes Dirt
I second Cycology at Tuggerah, or better still, Erina Bikeworx. Speak to nick there, he is the man. Off-topic, but i'm another Gareth from the Central Coast who rides a Giant!!!

GarethJ

Squid
I went out to Cycology on the weekend and that's where I found the $3,600 listing price. They seem like a fairly good bunch of people and definetely know their stuff - definetely a shop I'd consider business with.

I'm hoping to get out to Erina Bikeworx this weekend and see if we can work something out there. I bought my Yukon from those guys a few years back and was very impressed with their knowledge, friendlyness and service so that's where I'd ideally like to buy from - fingers crossed we can work out a good deal.

@gazzaed - Funny to hear there's more than one of us out there!

Not getting at least 15% discount on a Giant is like paying above RRP, every man and his dog sells them! Plus the only thing they sell on is the cheap price! Play your cards right and some idiot will be selling it to you for wholesale, play them off against one another and you'll be set mate.

Ruzz

Likes Dirt
you might find a bike cheaper in another state but they will most likley not send it to you as it is against the contract with giant,

and why is it only the cheap price that sells giant? what about the spec wich is usually 100% better on any bike of its price range? what about the frame quality how many giant mountainbikes or roadbikes for that fact do you see broken? and what about the suspension systems?

just my two cents but as a sales person of the giant product i find it hard to sell anything less

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Plus the only thing they sell on is the cheap price!
Yep. You're absolutely correct. The only thing Giant's sell on is cheap price...:rolleyes: Useless idiot.

GarethJ: As has been stated by Az, there are other things to consider than just price. Things that will have a much more lasting effect than a few hundred dollar discount.

Do you really want to drive a 4 hour return journey to get a discount on your Trance, only to have to drive that same 4 hour return journey again for its first free service? Or subsequent services after? Do you really want to save a few hundred dollars on a bike that has been put together terribly and will most likely have issues within the first 6 months?

There are reasons why some shops choose not to discount, and it's not because they're a pack of pricks. The bike industry is not a wealthy one - anyone suggesting you get more than 15% off clearly hasn't worked at a bike shop, nor has any idea about the margins on these kinds of products. ONYA Bike is having a promotional day...I can guarantee you'd have a hard time getting anywhere near this kind of discount from them on a regular day. And please, before you buy from Cycology, take someone who knows more than you about bikes to check out the quality of their builds. I'll say no more.

Always remember the age-old saying...

'You get what you pay for'

GarethJ

Squid
@Tristan23 - You make a valid point, you generally do get what you payed for and I'm not one for wanting my bike to fall apart mid ride on a hot summers day somewhere. Another way I look at it is that I can get someone to check it over and fix anything that needs fixing for under a $100, which still puts my pocket in front a few hundred; of course that assumes that I can stay awake for a return trip to Canberra without veering off the road and doing a few hundred dollars worth of damage to my car.

As for Cycology - has anyone else had difficulty with them or noticed problems with the quality of their builds?

0psi

Eats Squid
^^^ It doesn't really matter where you get your bike from there is always a chance that the build will be crappy. I've bought bikes from some very reputable shops that were just horrid and down right dangerous. There are very few shops I can think of that I would guarantee every bike will be perfect, especially coming into this time of year. There's always the chance you'll get the work experience kid, mechanic has a bad day or is off sick etc. .

Before my days in the industry I thought crappy builds were inexcusable, then a few years back Xmas happened. I was working for a department style store that had a bikes department. Needing a whole heap of bikes before Xmas we were just throwing them together to get them on the floor. Seeing as they all got a once over before the customer left with them, we figured it didn't matter if they weren't adjusted perfectly. Then we got absolutely pumped on a day that my mechanic decided to call in sick, I was left by myself and quite a few bikes were just picked up and taken to the front counter. Xmas casuals don't know any better and just put the sale though, letting a customer walk out with a bike that hadn't been checked over.

It's a pretty hard senario to happen outside of a department style store but the moral of the story is don't get too caught up on what other people say. Shit happens, crappy situations happen, mechanics make mistakes. It's their job and I'm sure you make the odd mistake at your job. If there's a trend with a lot of people saying a particular shop is bad then take note but there will always be a couple of people who've had bad experiences but there's a decent chance they're the exception, not the rule.