How much have you spent?

Flint

Likes Dirt
Bought my 1st bike in Nov 2002 for $1200 (Merida Matts Speed) – gave it away in 2012, tried to sell it, no one wanted it, should have kept it or an e-bike conversion for shiggles and commuting.
2nd bike in 2005 for $2350 - Giant VT2 - Sold for $600
3rd in Nov 2012 for $2300 - Giant Trance X1 29” – Sold for $1400
4th in July 2013 for $2650 - Kona Entourage – pulled apart and sold the frame for $600 (curse you eBay!!)
5th in Aug 2013 for $1000 - Kona Operator frame + Boxxer WC’s, built up the rest from Entourage parts
6th in Nov 2013 for $4800 - Santa Cruz Bronson, custom build.

So all up out of pocket $11,700 over 12 years

Note: That does not include accessories and maintenance which would add at least another $2K.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Another 30k+ here ' easily' over the last 20 years, I don't drink, smoke or visit cafes for lattes, so I figure I am doing better than most.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I've been told I have to sell one that I have now before I can buy another :pout:

Thankfully a 29er hardtail will be a chinese frame and built up - that comes in parts so doesnt count as a "new bike" :biggrin1:
I've tried that on the other half before...

From my experience everything is parts and acceptable (even if it's all over the floor) until the wheels are attached to the frame. Then it magically becomes a bike and all sorts of issues like storage, cost, not spending enough time start to ramp up.

So word of advice, put the wheels on last. Even better store your new bike with the wheels off! :cool:

fridgie

Likes Dirt
Only really getting into it this year and probably 5k in so far (bike and accessories)

Still better than my 4by which is over 10k/yr on top of purchase price thus far with modifications/changes/tyres etc.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
I think the title should be more like How much do you spend on average per yr on biking!

Not sure, but prob all up close to 20k since 2007, it'd prob be much more if I didn't ride in Kmart kit :) It's a lot less now a days since I've been banned from doing anything dangereous. But then again, I now have 2 little ones getting into pump tracks and trails I'm guessing the numbers' about to spike.... hehe

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
I work out how much weekly mental therapy would cost me over say 2yrs.. If bike is under this over the same 2yrs then its all good.

slowmick

38-39"
Spent more on bikes than i have on cars in the last 16 years. would be a seriously fat bloke without them.:first:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Spent more on bikes than i have on cars in the last 16 years. would be a seriously fat bloke without them.:first:
I've not even had my own car in 5 years, we make do with one fairly vanilla Reanult Megane that belongs to my partner. I think I might finally be a reformed petrol head! Was toying with the idea of picking up a Mazda RX8 with a dead motor and rebuilding it (always loved rotaries) - then it occurred to me that for the same money I would rather have a cheap old Renault Kangoo to cart around a new carbon roadie and a new kayak!

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
An element of this here. I started tracking my spending in about '08. I haven't bought a complete bike new since then and am spending between $20-$30/week and have gone from 1 bike to currently having one good bike and 4 others. in the early 90's I went through about 6 bikes, left a gap for a while (keeping my good bike) and got back into it in '07.

Wife-Joke.jpg

Last edited:

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Started 3 years ago - 2 bikes, clothing, training aids, parts, race entries, accesories, bike services, upgrades

I'd say somewhere close to 6k - means im averaging about 2k per annum. Pretty cheap really for an obsession.

Its starting to get more expensive however....
Ha ha I am the same and almost the same amount of time now. But won't be collecting any more bike, from now on (hopefully) will be selling one to move onto another so that initial expense for a good bike has been reduced a bit.

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
Can I throw a twist at this... What is the current new 'replacement' value of your hobby?

The reason I throw this into the mix is, calculating everything has a bit of a moot value. Ie $100 on a pair of shorts 4 years ago that long since wore out/tore/destroyed... Why bother counting it.

If you have 4 sets of $100 shorts in your drawer that you still use... We'll yeah that's worth counting.

Kinda like saying I spent $45,000 on a car. Well actually $27,000 but in the last 6 years I have spent $18,000 on petrol and servicing.